Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
A foragers delight! Morels, Ginseng, and other edibles
12-28-2013, 09:16 AM (This post was last modified: 12-28-2013 09:26 AM by Tombstone Mountain.)
A foragers delight! Morels, Ginseng, and other edibles
I put this in the special occasion thread because Morels come but once a year. Typically they're the first fungus of spring, at least where I dwell.

Where I live in Appalachia Morel mushrooms can be found with a keen eye. Every year I harvest between 15 to 20 lbs. Some have called the morel the "ribeye steak" of all mushrooms. Certainly has a meaty texture and wondrrful flavor. Anybody here hunt this gem of the forest?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-03-2014, 05:24 PM
RE: A foragers delight! Morels, Ginseng, and other edibles
(12-28-2013 09:16 AM)Tombstone Mountain Wrote:  Anybody here hunt this gem of the forest?

Always wanted to, but just haven't found the time to research the safe hunting protocols properly. And, unfortunately I'm not acquainted with anyone who does.

Reckon I can do those puppies some justice in my sauté pan...

To ask why we cook is to ask why the leaves fall...
01-03-2014, 09:06 PM
(01-03-2014 05:24 PM)Sunset Wrote:  
(12-28-2013 09:16 AM)Tombstone Mountain Wrote:  Anybody here hunt this gem of the forest?

Always wanted to, but just haven't found the time to research the safe hunting protocols properly. And, unfortunately I'm not acquainted with anyone who does.

Reckon I can do those puppies some justice in my sauté pan...
Finally a reply
I can help you in your plight. Where you live is important because of the seasonal shift. ID is easy. The right time depends on location. What region of the country are you in?
01-04-2014, 12:14 PM
My brother-in-law in Idaho gets them every year and sends us a bunch after he dries them. YUM!

If I'd known you were French, I'd have worn galoshes...
01-05-2014, 07:42 PM
Nestled up against the central Sierras. Morels are definitely in the area. In fact I had a friend who ran a barrel yard/cooperage business on the valley floor. He had some off size barrels nobody wanted to buy, consequently they were there and received irrigation for years. They'd grow right on the barrels.

Here's what I know:
-they usually are there for the taking march thru june in this area.
-they usually hang out at between 2800ft and 3500ft
-they like disturbed earth. Wildfire stricken areas, heavily logged area, etc.

I think my biggest hang up is identification, as there are a couple "false" morels in the area of varying toxicity. The LAST thing I want is a case of mistaken identity, and I have ZERO desire for any alkaloid adventures....e.g. No, I haven't seen your morels, but have you seen the #&$*ing dragons in the kitchen?

To ask why we cook is to ask why the leaves fall...
01-07-2014, 07:11 AM
(01-05-2014 07:42 PM)Sunset Wrote:  Nestled up against the central Sierras. Morels are definitely in the area. In fact I had a friend who ran a barrel yard/cooperage business on the valley floor. He had some off size barrels nobody wanted to buy, consequently they were there and received irrigation for years. They'd grow right on the barrels.

Here's what I know:
-they usually are there for the taking march thru june in this area.
-they usually hang out at between 2800ft and 3500ft
-they like disturbed earth. Wildfire stricken areas, heavily logged area, etc.

I think my biggest hang up is identification, as there are a couple "false" morels in the area of varying toxicity. The LAST thing I want is a case of mistaken identity, and I have ZERO desire for any alkaloid adventures....e.g. No, I haven't seen your morels, but have you seen the #&$*ing dragons in the kitchen?
False morels are easy to spot. The trick is to know the real thing so well you're not fooled. Generally false morels look funky. Plus they come late in the season.
01-08-2014, 08:39 AM (This post was last modified: 01-08-2014 08:41 AM by LiveToCook.)
Hey T.M., Nice subject, as I am somewhat like Sunset about the identification and lack of knowledge on the "art" of picking fungi and other fine treasures of the forest. I prefer to leave this task to the knowledgeable people. We do have in the area where I live 2-3 small firms that specialize in this. They have built a network of qualified pickers all over and the selection is fantastic. The pricing is something else as they are expensive. Every chance I get, I will cook with them. From these guys I have also gotten some interesting products. Wild ginger, garlic, edible flowers and numerous others. But back to hunting for these, it is an art and myself being somewhat "chicken" when it comes to picking these and the lack of time leave myself out. Also, as mentioned with the convenience of having easy access to a multitude of products it leaves me in the kitchen just preparing these and enjoying them. Now I am craving a wild mushroom risotto!!!