Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
CIGARS
01-10-2014, 06:53 PM
CIGARS
Cigars... buying, maintaining, handling, storing and enjoying on its own or with different beverages. Is there interest and is this an acceptable Thread for BBnG???
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-10-2014, 09:44 PM
RE: CIGARS
I smoke an occasional cigar. Mostly vanilla (well, I AM a girl), with or without an adult beverage. I have a humidor, nothing fancy. Hubby also smokes one once in a while. Cohibas...even tho they aren't from Cuba anymore. He likes Punch. Montecristo is his favorite.

If I'd known you were French, I'd have worn galoshes...
01-10-2014, 10:18 PM
G, Your Hubby certainly knows his cigars, Cohiba, Punch and talk about the Monte Cristo, I love the Platinum version. The Dominicans are fantastic and certainly very affordable and talk about decent prices in the US.... They are so cheap vs. what we pay in Canada. And what is wrong with a good vanilla smoke? Wish I could order direct from these places you have... I probably would smoke myself out because of the prices...
01-11-2014, 04:00 PM
We used to have a very nice cigar shop in our little burg. Idiots broke into the place twice, so sadly, it is no more. Not a fan of ordering cigars online. I like to pick them out in person to make sure they aren't dried out pieces of parchment. When we drive down to Phoenix, maybe 3-4 times a year, we'll buy a few stogies. When you say expensive, LTC, what are you talking up there? Here, the Monte Cristos (or just about anything decent) run from about $7.00-$15.00 depending on what you buy....

If I'd known you were French, I'd have worn galoshes...
01-11-2014, 04:05 PM
Ive been a fan and a smoker since I was 119 years old. I remember every time we came back from sea a bunch of us would smoke one out on the missle deck. Fun times. Think my selection might be a maduro Partagas. Cohiba is ok, but a bit overrated IMHO. Another one is Aston. Those are good as well. havent had one in awhile, but I do know Onyx is an excellent pick as well. Usually dont have them often but once in awhile the urge still grabs me.

Primary Principle - "It must NEVER be my fault"
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-11-2014, 05:47 PM (This post was last modified: 01-11-2014 06:01 PM by LiveToCook.)
Boomer, this must have been a phenomenal smoke in the company of your buddies on the ship. As for Onyx, I have not had the opportunity and the Aston, great smoke! As for Cohiba, it is still one of my favorites in a large format and of course Cuban. Once lit and down about 1/2" to 3/4" from the tip, it mellows out and becomes an extremely flavorful experience. Of course, always depending on the liquid accompanying!
(01-11-2014 04:00 PM)Gungawoman Wrote:  We used to have a very nice cigar shop in our little burg. Idiots broke into the place twice, so sadly, it is no more. Not a fan of ordering cigars online. I like to pick them out in person to make sure they aren't dried out pieces of parchment. When we drive down to Phoenix, maybe 3-4 times a year, we'll buy a few stogies. When you say expensive, LTC, what are you talking up there? Here, the Monte Cristos (or just about anything decent) run from about $7.00-$15.00 depending on what you buy....
For us the pricing is probably 2-3 times what you guys pay... depending on the province. Pretty much the same as you, there is differences in tax structures from state to state. And us here all is high!!!
01-18-2014, 05:32 PM
Considering we were smoking topside on a ballistic missle submarine, yeah we put up smoke like a locomotive. One night I think the roving patrol on the sub tender thought there was a fire belowdecks.

Just the stogie crew!

Primary Principle - "It must NEVER be my fault"
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-20-2014, 09:03 AM
I am sure that this is only one of a multitude of stories to be told by the fire!!!!
01-20-2014, 06:23 PM
Sigh.... Something about the smell of cigar smoke gives me wonderful childhood memories. My Grandpa( my Mom's Dad ) smoked them. My Gram would never allow them to be smoked in the house so Grandpa had his work shop and in his truck to have them. Sitting next to him while he worked on project or riding along with him in the truck with the smoke slowly curling up and around me. There were always interesting artistic boxes that they came in and the aromas were heady with a smoky sweetness. Some of the original boxes now house special trinkets and items for me and each of my Girls.

"... always throw spilt salt over your left shoulder, keep rosemary by your garden gate, plant lavender for luck, and fall in love whenever you can..." Practical Magic
05-29-2014, 11:55 AM (This post was last modified: 05-29-2014 12:11 PM by LiveToCook.)
Cuban cigar review... from Havana Cuba.
Well, let's just say that this was interesting in the very least.
Starting from the real ones and the ''frauds'' available to all. First is the fact that the locals know that all visitors, even the non-smokers, are looking for cigars either for themselves or to bring back for friends. Again like many have said and still issue warnings continuously about not buying on the street, ''so called cooperativas'', in the people's houses or whatever other method you can think of (all ''potential'' buyers are recruited on the Streets). I have been to a couple of these places and somewhat knowing what an original and high quality is, I played the game going to these ''cooperativas''... The first one was in someones appartment after being recruited and walking up to this place... Mrs LTC said to me ''Are you sure that you want to go in there?'' ''I do not feel good about this!!!''. Anyhow without writing a full chapter on this, it was and is very safe in Cuba. Even the locals boast about this... These cigars did not look too bad quality Wise, but they were not the original ones. These were probably ''2nd or 3rd quality'' from the originals being 1st and the prices were a little high and the rings (paper band surrounding the cigar) were NOT originals and the Cuban gov. tag was also a fake. Good thing here was the quality, again in other places they could have been the national brands Worth 1$ or less, re-labeled (for locals) that are not bad or worse, banana leaves and sold at 5-15 $ a piece. But talk about négociations... The prices kept going down... But to no avail... If I am going to bring some back, they will be the real ones. At one third the price of here in Canada, I would be stupid (even though I amBig Grin) to go differently. Anyhow, back to the real stuff, my greatest smokes were the Montecristo no.2 and Reserva, Cohiba Piramides Extra, Siglo 3 and 5, Esplenididos(Churchill), Cohiba Behike 54 & 56 and a hand rolled by an old pro (52 yrs experience) with his own tobacco recipe, he even made it look too simple to roll these. This was a bargain for the quality but in limited quantities. Of course the best places to buy cigars is in Casa del Habanos shos or the airport. But... if you are not sure what to get, you need to find a shop that sells singles and to try them, you have to do this the first or second day you get there to be able to sample them before leaving and buying. Long ashes to you all!!!