Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 4 Average
Cool Tools
02-16-2010, 11:22 AM (This post was last modified: 02-16-2010 11:23 AM by Brutus.)
Cool Tools
Oxo has a fine line of tools for your kitchen. In particular I highly recommend their tongs, both with stainless steel, nylon (heat resitant to 400 degrees) and Teflon tips. The latter two are manditory for non-stick surfaces but the Teflon, being heat resistant to 600 degrees and having a straight front edge, is also good for deglazing or scraping the bottom of pans.

http://www.oxo.com/OA_HTML/ibeCCtpSctDspRte.jsp?a=b

I've had a Chef's Choice electric knife sharpener for years and love its convenience. Using a sharpening steel or diamond stone requires skill and lots of practice (Bubba has it down..not me though) to avoid doing more damage to the blade than good. But I must admit .....it looks so cool! Keep in mind the difference between Asian (15 degree) and European and North American (20 degree) edges. Some sharpeners will only do one or the other, some will convert the latter to the former and some are selectable to sharpen both. Some will also sharpen serated blades.

http://www.chefschoice.com/index.html

Sacred cows make the best hamburgers.

I bought a doughnut and they gave me a receipt for the doughtnut... I don't need a receipt for the doughnut. I give you money and you give me the doughnut, end of transaction. We don't need to bring ink and paper into this. I can't imagine a scenario that I would have to prove that I bought a doughnut. To some skeptical friend, 'Don't even act like I didn't get that doughnut, I've got the documentation right here... It's in my file at home. ...Under "D".'
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-17-2010, 11:04 AM
RE: Cool Tools
(02-16-2010 11:22 AM)Brutus Wrote:  Oxo has a fine line of tools for your kitchen. In particular I highly recommend their tongs, both with stainless steel, nylon (heat resitant to 400 degrees) and Teflon tips. The latter two are manditory for non-stick surfaces but the Teflon, being heat resistant to 600 degrees and having a straight front edge, is also good for deglazing or scraping the bottom of pans.

I've had a Chef's Choice electric knife sharpener for years and love its convenience. Using a sharpening steel or diamond stone requires skill and lots of practice (Bubba has it down..not me though) to avoid doing more damage to the blade than good. But I must admit .....it looks so cool! Keep in mind the difference between Asian (15 degree) and European and North American (20 degree) edges. Some sharpeners will only do one or the other, some will convert the latter to the former and some are selectable to sharpen both. Some will also sharpen serated blades.

I've found the Apple Divider is really great, too:

http://www.oxo.com/OA_HTML/xxoxo_ibeCCtp...spid=53057
04-17-2010, 01:59 PM
I like flat bottomed whisks. They are great for mixing sauces in saucepans, or bowls with flat bottoms.

04-18-2010, 11:33 AM
(02-16-2010 11:22 AM)Brutus Wrote:  Oxo has a fine line of tools for your kitchen. In particular I highly recommend their tongs, both with stainless steel, nylon (heat resitant to 400 degrees) and Teflon tips. The latter two are manditory for non-stick surfaces but the Teflon, being heat resistant to 600 degrees and having a straight front edge, is also good for deglazing or scraping the bottom of pans.

The Oxo stuff is good. There's a lot of great stuff from Chef'N too. I'm a big fan of their two-sided silicone spatula/cooking spoons (have a stable of those I can't cook without). As far as knives are concerned, I hate honing and sharpening. Last year, I put my Wustofs in reserve and switched to Kyocera's ceramic knives. Spectacular!
04-18-2010, 07:44 PM
I always have a small 3 inch raster in the pantry for fresh nutmeg and cinnamon. I use it for ginger because I toss it in the freezer and it needs the ripping ability of the raster to shave the ginger.

A microplane is another great tool. Awesome for hard cheese, zests and chocolate.

A Cuisinart 1.5 quart ice cream maker is awesome! I have one that came with an extra 1.5 quart tub.

My pot and pan arsenal is a mixed bag of Calphalon and Le Crueset which will last me a lifetime.

One of the greatest gadgets that I am really fond of is a small electric burr mixer. Plug it in and drop it in warm sauces and soups and POW you can blend like a top chef!
04-18-2010, 08:27 PM
I have a number of All Clad pots and pans in my home kitchen. Some are over 20 years old. I am sure they will last me a lifetime.
04-18-2010, 08:34 PM
(04-18-2010 08:27 PM)ChefTap Wrote:  I have a number of All Clad pots and pans in my home kitchen. Some are over 20 years old. I am sure they will last me a lifetime.

Take care of them and they will
04-20-2010, 09:09 PM
(04-18-2010 08:34 PM)E2E Wrote:  
(04-18-2010 08:27 PM)ChefTap Wrote:  I have a number of All Clad pots and pans in my home kitchen. Some are over 20 years old. I am sure they will last me a lifetime.

Take care of them and they will

I just bought a set of T-fal pots and pans. I had one t-fal frying pan that I just loved, and decided to toss the old battered el cheapo set of stuff I had to match it.

04-20-2010, 10:55 PM
As far as kitchen tools go, most of my favorite ones are from Pampered Chef, and the rest are made by OXO. My absolute favorite pans for cooking in are the cast iron skillets.......and my electric griddle

A party without cake is really just a meeting
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-21-2010, 09:46 PM
A well seasoned lodge cast iron fry pan is a good tool to have. Especially when it has a lovely dark black patina.

"... always throw spilt salt over your left shoulder, keep rosemary by your garden gate, plant lavender for luck, and fall in love whenever you can..." Practical Magic