Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 4 Average
Cool Tools
04-22-2010, 02:11 PM
RE: Cool Tools
I have to second the Pampered Chef tools: I LOVE their rubber spatulas! Indestructible!

I have a collection of Calphalon hard anodized pots, cast iron dutch ovens and frying pans, along with Belgian enameled cast iron bakeware I inherited from my Grandmother. All are like old friends: I couldn't imagine my kitchen without them.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-27-2010, 11:16 AM
i can't live without my ken hom wok, i've had it for more years than i can remember and it's seasoned to perfection and i've never had any kind of rust on it either which is a 1st. also as stupid as it sounds, the simplicity of a small mixing bowl where i can experiment with marinades then in with the meat and straight to the fridge and don't get me started on my global knives lol
04-27-2010, 11:18 AM
Bubba's gone Global. I guess I'll have to check 'm out.

Sacred cows make the best hamburgers.

I bought a doughnut and they gave me a receipt for the doughtnut... I don't need a receipt for the doughnut. I give you money and you give me the doughnut, end of transaction. We don't need to bring ink and paper into this. I can't imagine a scenario that I would have to prove that I bought a doughnut. To some skeptical friend, 'Don't even act like I didn't get that doughnut, I've got the documentation right here... It's in my file at home. ...Under "D".'
04-27-2010, 11:28 AM
What IS the best/easiest way to season a cast iron frying pan?
04-27-2010, 11:57 AM
Arleen, I season mine by heating it on the stove after I've cleaned it, and while hot, pouring vegetable oil in it, coating the bottom and sides.

A party without cake is really just a meeting
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-27-2010, 12:06 PM
Arlene, there is another thread in the "Tools of the Trade" forum that is entitled "Properly seasoning your cast iron pan". You might want to check that out too.

Sacred cows make the best hamburgers.

I bought a doughnut and they gave me a receipt for the doughtnut... I don't need a receipt for the doughnut. I give you money and you give me the doughnut, end of transaction. We don't need to bring ink and paper into this. I can't imagine a scenario that I would have to prove that I bought a doughnut. To some skeptical friend, 'Don't even act like I didn't get that doughnut, I've got the documentation right here... It's in my file at home. ...Under "D".'
04-27-2010, 12:11 PM
(04-27-2010 11:18 AM)Brutus Wrote:  Bubba's gone Global. I guess I'll have to check 'm out.

you'll have to start using them brutus, once you start you'll never want to use another set of knives again, expensive yes but they just feel so right in my big hands and in 2 years i'm just about to sharpen them for the 2nd time, they are works of art
04-27-2010, 01:10 PM
RE: Cool Tools cast iron
I have been in the fire service for more than twenty years, and cook for my crew almost every day, that being said I love cast iron and teach everyone how to care for it. I read a comment about a seasoning problem and have a solution. Pre-heat an oven to 350 degrees, grease your cast iron skillet with crisco cook the skillet for an hour, after an hour turn off oven and leave the skillet until it cools down. Repeat this step two or three times, and never wash your pan with anything other than hot water and it will be the greatest and cheapest pan you will ever own.

To be a firefighter, one can be a lot of things…except a coward.
05-02-2010, 11:27 AM
My wife has a ton of gadgets in her arsenal, but one I just used recently was her onion dicer. http://www.amazon.com/Progressive-GOC-30...B000A389IM All I had to do was quarter the onion and throw it on and "BAM", perfectly diced onion pieces. Easy to clean too. The Mrs. usually scopes out the recomendations from "America's Test Kitchen" as they do a pretty thourough test and analysis of many different items. http://www.americastestkitchentv.com/testinglist.asp
05-02-2010, 03:24 PM (This post was last modified: 05-02-2010 03:29 PM by Flynn.)
Lightweight enameled cast iron pans look pretty interesting. Does anyone have any information about them in comparison to traditional cast iron? They look like they'd be great for searing and such.

A to B...Different degrees -- N. Peart