Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
hihi - new here!
03-09-2014, 10:01 PM (This post was last modified: 03-10-2014 02:01 AM by spinifex.)
hihi - new here!
I've been a fan of Rush since 1982 or so.

I've also been cooking, off and on, for nearly that long.

So, when I learned that Neil Peart launched a cooking forum? The best of both worlds!

I've been cooking a bit more, now that I'm an unemployed student. In fact, I have a crockpot of black bean kale soup cooking right now; the base is turkey stock, and it contains kale, celery, black beans, corn, leek, button mushrooms, and parsnip. Basically, a 'we need to use these veggies NOW!' soup. I even made the turkey stock myself, by taking turkey bones, some veggie scraps, and simmering them in that same crockpot for 24 hours or so. Spices are black pepper and bay leaves.

Otherwise, I like a lot of different cuisines, such as Mexican, Indian, Japanese, and the like. I need to branch out my cooking chops; maybe when I have more time and less homework!

I also like traveling, soccer (my team is Seattle Sounders FC), reading a great book, sipping a great cup of tea, and getting a good grade on my Trig tests.

But, hi all!

(BTW, soup turned out fantastically. After cooking for high for 5 hours or so with some bay leaves, I added some garlic powder, a pinch of cayenne, some epazote, some cracked black pepper, some salt, and a bit of a spice blend called 'Arizona Dreaming', from Penzey's Spice Co. It's in the fridge now, and I have a hearty dinner for this week! Making your own stock really makes all the difference in the world.)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-10-2014, 07:22 AM (This post was last modified: 03-10-2014 07:23 AM by LiveToCook.)
RE: hihi - new here!
Welcome Spin, soup sounds really good! Making your own stock is great, I will be starting a new thread on sauces and of course stock, fond or bouillon (call it what you want) is the foundation to all good sauces and of course soups. So, yes, making your own stock does makes a difference. Keep an eye out for this. Trig, what is your major? Seatle Sounders, fan or player? Again, welcome, enjoy and have fun...
03-10-2014, 09:48 AM
Welcome Spin ..Penzeys is a dangerous place for me to shop in.
Smile. Take a tour throughout the Grill and the threads.

"... always throw spilt salt over your left shoulder, keep rosemary by your garden gate, plant lavender for luck, and fall in love whenever you can..." Practical Magic
03-10-2014, 12:21 PM
(03-10-2014 07:22 AM)LiveToCook Wrote:  Welcome Spin, soup sounds really good! Making your own stock is great, I will be starting a new thread on sauces and of course stock, fond or bouillon (call it what you want) is the foundation to all good sauces and of course soups. So, yes, making your own stock does makes a difference. Keep an eye out for this. Trig, what is your major? Seatle Sounders, fan or player? Again, welcome, enjoy and have fun...

Ooooo - I could dig a sauces and stock thread. I only know one technique for making stock, and have yet to try my hand at sauces. Primarily because I'm allergic to wines and anything else with Sulfites in it. (As an aside, I'm also developing an interest in cooking from Muslim countries, particularly because of the 'no alcohol' bit. I'm not against *all* alcohol, mind you, like Mr. Peart, I do enjoy a nice Scotch now and again.)

Major? I'm thinking Computer Science, but I haven't decided yet. I did take a Comp Sci class, and I really liked it. But this is also at a community college level, so I'm taking classes when I can.

Sounderswise? Oh, I'm definitely only a fan/supporter. My favorite player currently is Stefan Frei; he's a fantastic keeper. My favorite player of all time is Alvaro 'El Flaco' Fernandez; he's currently playing back home, for Nacional de Montevideo in Uruguay.

My other favorite team is the National Team of Uruguay. I'm not Uruguayan, but I just adore them. And there I just love to bits Diego Forlan and Lugano.
03-10-2014, 04:48 PM
Hey there, Spin! Welcome to the East Wing (of the asylum)! Dig in and make yerself at home!

If I'd known you were French, I'd have worn galoshes...
03-10-2014, 09:30 PM
Welcome spinifex!

03-10-2014, 10:48 PM (This post was last modified: 03-10-2014 11:06 PM by LiveToCook.)
Spin, If you can make a turkey stock, you can make all others. As for cooking with alcohol(s), this is an extremely wide subject. When you cook with wine or alcohol, you typically reduce your liquid to a point that there is NO alcohol left. I can appreciate sulfite intolerances, but there are virtually none in white wines. And just for your information, wines in Muslim countries have a very long history. The oldest wine producing country is Persia, now known as Iran. Funny we should be talking about this because I just recommended Lebanese wines for their full bodied Bordeaux style. And how many countries in that part of the world produce Arac? Enough for now... you got me going on a subject that I find is fascinating. We shall get back onto this subject of cooking with wines or spirits.
03-11-2014, 12:29 PM (This post was last modified: 03-11-2014 12:35 PM by spinifex.)
Nice - I look forward to reading it!

Even if I wasn't reactive, I just can't stand the taste of wine. So, I'm not one to cook with it. However, the film SOMM? I found *fascinating*. And I've had pork with a whiskey sauce once, that I found divine!
03-11-2014, 01:10 PM (This post was last modified: 03-11-2014 01:11 PM by LiveToCook.)
This is exactly what I am talking about with a wine or spirit "reduction".
It will bring the dish you are preparing into another dimension and for the better. It is the primary reason (ultimately a must) to make a reduction. You are concentrating the "flavours" and eliminating the alcohol. If you were marinating a meat, then you are looking for the alcohol and acids to tenderized the meat. Again, very importantly, you have to control the time your meat does "soak" in this preparation as you DO NOT want your meat to "drown" in alcohol where the taste will be spoiled. The same does apply to vinegars, citrus and soya... These ingredients need to be considered as "rapid" type marinating mediums when used in large volumes versus others that need up to a 24 to 48 hour period. And please do not get me wrong here, I, by far am not saying not to utilize these in controlled amounts for the "long" types. More to come.
03-12-2014, 12:02 AM
OH, no worries at all!

And that's something I do want to experiment with - citrus. I imagine that salmon and orange would go together kinda well, just give it a quick go, and then grill it.