Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Fans of Islay?
03-29-2014, 06:53 PM
Fans of Islay?
Laphroaig? Caol Isla? Ardbeg and all of the others!

Do I have any fellow fans here of Islay single malts?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-29-2014, 10:24 PM
RE: Fans of Islay?
Sorry BADW - My particular tastes lie in the Highlands. Not that I havent had the Islays, but honestly my last glass of Laphroiag stayed in my palate for four days. Highlands are a cleaner crisper and more refined single malt (IMHO). What I have learned is typically the first scotch you try you will usually stick with - although not always. In my case, I got a gift of a bottle of Balvenie a number of years back, and the rest is history.

Primary Principle - "It must NEVER be my fault"
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-29-2014, 10:30 PM
(03-29-2014 10:24 PM)Boomer Wrote:  Sorry BADW - My particular tastes lie in the Highlands. Not that I havent had the Islays, but honestly my last glass of Laphroiag stayed in my palate for four days. Highlands are a cleaner crisper and more refined single malt (IMHO). What I have learned is typically the first scotch you try you will usually stick with - although not always. In my case, I got a gift of a bottle of Balvenie a number of years back, and the rest is history.

I actually have a bottle of Balvenie 14 that I need to try. I convinced a friend to try Laphroaig not too long ago and the results were hilarious. "It tastes like roasted tree roots and fire in my mouth!"

I disagree with their assessment but it was funny!
03-30-2014, 12:22 PM
I tend to think Ardbeg is by FAR the strongest of the Islays, but there are a number I have yet to try. Laphroiag is awful strong, and tends to have a more acrid, almost charcoal flavor to it. Ardbeg, however is much heavier, and more pungent than its younger cousin. Now for a REAL good time try some Cask strength Macallan. That will put hair in your knickers!!!

04-02-2014, 06:25 PM
Sad RE: Fans of Islay?
The Cask strength Macallan is a very good one. Unfortunately, they have stopped producing it Sad

(03-30-2014 12:22 PM)Boomer Wrote:  I tend to think Ardbeg is by FAR the strongest of the Islays, but there are a number I have yet to try. Laphroiag is awful strong, and tends to have a more acrid, almost charcoal flavor to it. Ardbeg, however is much heavier, and more pungent than its younger cousin. Now for a REAL good time try some Cask strength Macallan. That will put hair in your knickers!!!
04-10-2014, 02:31 PM
(03-29-2014 06:53 PM)Badwater Wrote:  Laphroaig? Caol Isla? Ardbeg and all of the others!

Do I have any fellow fans here of Islay single malts?

Big fan here, though I tend to enjoy them more often in the colder months.

One thing I just can't tolerate is Laphroiag 10 CS. Everyone's tastes are different, but this one is just vile to me. As a result, the bottle I bought sat for years. That is, it sat until two seriously lushy friends came by for a visit and, like swine, hozzled up all the good stuff I set before them. Then they asked:

Them: "(hic)...Whud elsh ya got...(hic)?

Me: Ohhhh, I have just what you need!

Their palates were so anesthetized they failed to realize what they were pouring down their necks until it was waaaay too late.

Their(sober) wives were mortified.Big Grin

To ask why we cook is to ask why the leaves fall...
04-10-2014, 03:54 PM (This post was last modified: 04-10-2014 03:55 PM by LiveToCook.)
This is funny Sunset, I have done this myself with a few friends or brother... Instead of pouring the liquid down the drain... By the way of Islay, my son brought a bottle of Laguvulin 16 yrs a couple of weekends ago. This was to my liking and absolutely wonderful in the complexity of the taste and yet being a milder type of Scotch enthousiast, did the job. Also recently had the Bunnahabhain 18 at a friends place last week and this was again an extreme pleasure. I was even surprised when he told me this was an Islay. I must be on the way to be immunized to drinking Islays.... As I know that some are somewhat ''pungent'' for some people. Now talk about acquired taste!!!
04-10-2014, 06:40 PM
Sunset - you "naughty" boy you!!!!

I have a coworker who just LOVES anything LaPhroaig. Me? I am more of a Highlands kinda guy. Hence it was I did purchase a bottle of LaPhroaig last year, and I drank about half of it and left the rest in the cupboard, until one night a few weeks back, I tried it on the rocks. That just didnt help at all. In fact, it made it worse. Much so that I tasted burnt charcoal for the next week.

BLECH!!!

04-11-2014, 10:11 AM
I offloaded some crap uisge and taught those two a valuable lesson.

=win/win...Big Grin

To ask why we cook is to ask why the leaves fall...
04-13-2014, 02:45 PM
Thats usually the only way to get rid of such vile hootch anyway!!!