Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Review - Weber Genesis CEP 330 Barbecue
04-09-2014, 05:32 PM
Review - Weber Genesis CEP 330 Barbecue
After one of the harshest winters in recent memory, our trusty Kenmore barbecue finally bit the dust. That's a situation that won't do in our house, so off we went on the hunt for a new grill. After a fair bit of research, including reading a number of user reviews and Consumer Reports, we settled on a Weber CEP 330 natural gas grill.

The CEP 330 is a model in Weber's popular Genesis series. It has three burners plus a Sear Station (fourth burner) to quickly sear steaks and other meats - total output is 38,000 BTUs. There's also a 12,000 BTU side burner .... for side dishes, natch (nyuk nyuk nyuk!). The main cooking grills are made from welded sections of 9mm stainless steel rods ... and man are they heavy! I guess durability won't be an issue there! It's a medium-sized grill (637 square inches) ... more than large enough to feed a family of five, yet not so large that it completely takes over the patio.

So how does it work? In a word, awesome.

First thing I learned is that those huge 9mm steel rods that form the cooking grills hold a ton of heat. Once you have this thing pre-heated, you can cut back on the gas and it still churns along like a champ. Heat distribution seems to be pretty even all across the cooking surface, much better than was the case with our previous barbecue (which had noticeable hot spots directly over each burner). When you set all the control knobs to the same setting, you get a nice, consistent heat all the way across the grill. But when you vary the temp from one burner to the next, it responds promptly. The temperature control knobs have a greater range of motion than we had on the old Kenmore, so you can really dial it in and get the setting just right. It's not so much of an issue when you're just heating up some hot dogs, but I did appreciate it when we did steaks on the left side of the grill, and vegetables in a grilling basket on the right side (a couple of bell peppers, portabello mushroom chunks, some diced zucchini, and Vidalia onion ... all coated with olive oil and a few herbs ...mmm). Weber makes a big fuss about that Sear Station extra burner, and now I understand why. I have to say it works really well. The steaks came out perfectly done ... it sears the meat perfectly, so it retains its moisture and you don't have nearly as many flare-ups. And best of all, the heat is largely confined to that immediate area of the grill, so you don't inadvertently incinerate the vegetables in the process. Nice.

I'm also happy to note that the grill lid seems to be better insulated than what I'd become used to. It's obviously warm to the touch when in use, but not to the point you'll burn yourself it you happen to make contact. Again, nice to see things have changed since we bought our last BBQ.

I haven't tried the rotisserie yet (it's an option) but it looks sturdy enough and we'll probably give it a go soon enough.

The main burners (including the Sear Station burner) are fired by an electronic ignition, that runs on a single AA battery. Love it - it works great. The side burner, by comparison, uses a traditional igniter. I like the side burner, but I wish Weber had devoted a little more attention to finishing the little opening in the lid where you lift the burner cover plate open. It's not razor sharp, by any means, but it would feel nicer to the touch if the metal edge was rolled back around the lifting notch, instead of just being cut off.

Overall, I love our new barbecue. It wasn't cheap by any stretch, but the fit and finish are just so much nicer than others we looked at that were nearly the same price. We've had it for a month now, and I couldn't be happier with it.

Cheers!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-09-2014, 10:03 PM (This post was last modified: 04-09-2014 10:05 PM by LiveToCook.)
RE: Review - Weber Genesis CEP 330 Barbecue
Sym, You will find that ''investing'' in cooking Tools is like the rest. You will have this unit for years and this a great working one if you do the basics on maintenance and cleaning regularly. I now have a Napoleon grill and just before I had a Weber that was sort of ''requisitioned'' by my son when he moved out. It was a good grill no questions about it. Oh, before I forget, next time you make a basket of veggies, add a filet of some decent balsamic vinegar to the ingr├ędients you already put on there. Let me know what you think of that. It is a favorite around these parts... Are you from the Peninsula?
04-12-2014, 06:20 PM
I'll definitely have to try the balsamic, it sounds great!

We're not on the Niagara Peninsula per se, but close .... Burlington. It's a a happy halfway ... close enough to Toronto that all the restaurants and shopping is convenient, and close enough to Niagara that the wineries are only a half-hour away.

And the cheese place. And the maple syrup folks. And ... well, you get the point :-)
04-13-2014, 07:51 AM (This post was last modified: 04-13-2014 07:53 AM by LiveToCook.)
Maple Syrup??? I did not know that there was such a thing in ''Florida''.... A friend of mine who lives in the peninsula always says he lives in Florida Canada... lol. Winters being typically very mild and living in this micro-climate, he got laughed at a few times this past winter. It is cold... -15degC??? When we where getting minus 30's, and him shovelling 3 times in the same day at the rate of 2 inches each times??? Buy some tissues (Kleenex) or get a shovel instead of a broom and give me a break, this was a good one. Cheese place??? Tell me more!!! And for you, yes living in Burlington, you are close to all the good, T.O. for the restaurants, markets and all, the peninsula for the wineries. Not a bad spot at all!
04-14-2014, 09:13 AM
LOL ... yes, there's maple syrup on Florida North. White Meadows Farms, on the south-western outskirts of St. Catharines ( http://www.whitemeadowsfarms.com ), is quite the operation, with all sorts of stuff for kids and a huge selection of maple candies, maple tarts, and of course, several varieties of syrup. Just love the stuff, we usually buy it in a big jug.

As far as cheese goes, Upper Canada Cheese in Jordan Station is where it's at! ( see http://www.uppercanadacheese.com ). They make some brie-like cream cheeses, as well as firmer types. Gurnsey Girl makes absolutely killer grilled cheese. They have a smoked cream cheese that's awesome, if you can find it.

(Mods ... hope the links are ok! Pls remove if not).

There's also an amazing bakery in Jordan. Go in the early morning and literally follow your nose. It's heaven on earth.
04-14-2014, 11:17 AM (This post was last modified: 04-14-2014 07:55 PM by LiveToCook.)
Bakery and cheese factory in Jordan... OK!! This is a done deal, next time I go out that way!!! Do you remember the name of this bakery? Thanks a lot for the info.
I was just kidding about the maple syrup, but it must be a short season for these guys. I do have my order in for this year from a friend of mine...
LTC
04-14-2014, 04:17 PM
I must apologize, as my much smaller and much better-looking other half (a.k.a. She Who Must Be Obeyed) informs me the little bakery no longer exists. It was a little mom-and-pop on the main drag, between the winery and the stained glass place. Rats!

That said, SWMBO adds that she's found a new bread bastion close by, in the west end of St. Catharines. It's called de la Terre ( http://www.delaterre.ca/ ). Sounds like it's time for another weekend trip to Florida :-)
04-14-2014, 07:59 PM (This post was last modified: 04-14-2014 08:01 PM by LiveToCook.)
I think that I have heard about this one... I have many friends in that area. And I do the travel to the area regularly... I was out 2 weeks ago and will be again in late May or early June. I really enjoy this area with it's wineries and I love the LCBO's in St-Catherines. Specially the one on Glendale, they have products that I cannot find in Qu├ębec.
04-15-2014, 03:08 PM
The St. Catharines LCBO is what is referred to as a "two bottle" store. Each LCBO location is categorized as a "one bottle" "two bottle" or "three bottle" store based on the number of products carried. The vast majority are "one bottle" locations. St. Catharines has a nice two bottle store.

The "three bottle" stores - one in Ottawa, one in Oakville and I believe three in Toronto - are absolutely fantastic, with an enormous range of product you just won't see anywhere else. We go to the one in Oakville from time to time, and it's always a fun trip :-)

There's probably a way to find the stores by bottle rating online. The full list appears in the back pages of the LCBO's Vintages magazine. It's free .. if you don't receive it, you may want to order it, since it gives you advance notice on new product releases and such. It comes out every two weeks. You can either pick one up next time you're in an LCBO, or order it online here: http://www.vintages.com/index.shtml Just click the bar where it says "Become a Vintages insider ..." and check the box to subscribe to the catalogue. It's a nice little magazine, with information on wines from around the world, not just Ontario. They also occasionally have food pairing info.

Now I want to go have some wine ... :-)