Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Rough Winter in Niagara
04-09-2014, 05:48 PM
Rough Winter in Niagara
For those who are fans of Ontario wines, I'm afraid it's been a rough winter in the Niagara Peninsula. Extended periods of severe cold, combined with ice and snow, did a lot of damage to the vines over the past few months. Now that spring has sprung, the vintners are finally starting to see just how bad it looks.

Most of the wineries are now saying that 30% to 50% of their vines are damaged.

The result will be two-fold. First, regardless of how the weather through the rest of the year pans out, yields will be down this year. Don't expect a lot of wine with "2014" stamped on the label. Second, if the weather plays nice, the resulting wine could be of exceptional quality. When parts of a vine are damaged, the grapes produced by the remaining section tend to be more concentrated as a result. So if mother nature behaves, we may wind up with some really exceptional stuff on our hands - just not much of it.

I guess now, it's just watch and see.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-09-2014, 06:30 PM
RE: Rough Winter in Niagara
(04-09-2014 05:48 PM)Symmetre Wrote:  Second, if the weather plays nice, the resulting wine could be of exceptional quality.

Exactly what I was thinking as I read your post. Though I've no skin in the game I truly hope the f.o.b. is high enough to offset the reduced yield, and that the permanently damaged vines aren't numerous enough to affect the bottom line in the future.

I know how it feels...

To ask why we cook is to ask why the leaves fall...
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply