Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Firehouse Jambalaya
04-30-2010, 09:15 PM
Firehouse Jambalaya
I have been to New Orleans, I even watched a Chef make this in the French Quarter, I think mine is better, try it and let me know. I am not good wil exact amounts, most of the cooking at the fire house is for a large group.
1 pound boneless chicken breast diced
1 pound Andouille sausage diced
1 pound shrimp shelled and tail removed (30-40) count
1 can Red beans
8 cups Long grain rice cooked
1 green pepper diced
1 cup celery diced
1 large onion diced
1 can chipole sauce
1 tablespoon Cayenne pepper
1 pound smoked bacon diced
2 cloved garlic minced
salt and pepper to taste
1 tablespoon cajin seasoning
28 oz caned diced tomatoes
12 oz canSpicy V-8 juice
Cook bacon until crispy and remove, drain most of the fat, add chicken and brown, add sausage, onion, celery, green pepper, garlic, cayenne pepper, cajin seasoning, and cook over medium heat until celery gets tender. At this point add the tomatoes, V-8 juice, rice, beans and chipotle sauce, and cooked bacon, bring back to tempuature and add the shrimp cover and remove from heat intill the shrimp are cooked through. You may need to add additional liquid and adjust seasoning. I serve this with cornbread, I hope you enjoy.

To be a firefighter, one can be a lot of things…except a coward.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-30-2010, 09:39 PM
RE: Firehouse Jambalaya
(04-30-2010 09:15 PM)dw2112 Wrote:  I think mine is better, try it and let me know.

I'm born and raised in Louisiana, and believe it or not, Jambalaya has never been in my repertoire. I like to eat it, but I've never cooked it. The best I ever had was cooked by a friend of a friend at a surprise birthday party, but I've had no luck getting the recipe. The thing that struck me as super tasty about that jambalaya was black eyed peas. I thought about subbing those for the red beans in your recipe.

I'll try yours, though I'm thinking I'll have to cut the recipe down to feed my less-hungry-than-a-firehouse-full-of-firemen family. It seems a little tomato-ey - which is not bad, just more emblematic of the Creole roots in New Orleans than the Cajun roots of Lafayette, where I'm from.

Knock, Knock!
05-01-2010, 02:57 PM
RE: Firehouse Jambalaya
(04-30-2010 09:39 PM)david950 Wrote:  
(04-30-2010 09:15 PM)dw2112 Wrote:  I think mine is better, try it and let me know.

I'm born and raised in Louisiana, and believe it or not, Jambalaya has never been in my repertoire. I like to eat it, but I've never cooked it. The best I ever had was cooked by a friend of a friend at a surprise birthday party, but I've had no luck getting the recipe. The thing that struck me as super tasty about that jambalaya was black eyed peas. I thought about subbing those for the red beans in your recipe.

I'll try yours, though I'm thinking I'll have to cut the recipe down to feed my less-hungry-than-a-firehouse-full-of-firemen family. It seems a little tomato-ey - which is not bad, just more emblematic of the Creole roots in New Orleans than the Cajun roots of Lafayette, where I'm from.

I never thought of using black eyed pees, that was something my late father would eat, I might try that myself, it sounds good, please alter this any way you want and let me know how it comes out, thanks.

To be a firefighter, one can be a lot of things…except a coward.