Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 4.5 Average
So, what's in the box?
05-12-2014, 03:37 PM
So, what's in the box?
For years we've tossed around the idea of joining a fresh produce delivery service, and last week we finally took the plunge. Monday was our first delivery...I'm usually pretty reserved and hard to impress, but I was, oddly, giddy as a schoolgirl as I unpacked the box.Blush I must say, being confronted with a box full of fresh produce I've never worked with before(or in some cases never even heard of) has certainly taken me in new culinary directions and provided an exciting "OK, so what am I gonna do with this" component to my usual protocols.

I figure I'll just post up a few of the items I receive, as well as what I did with them and see how it goes....

Dyno Kale...
[Image: food214_zps34913204.jpg]

How can this NOT turn out well amirite???
[Image: food212_zps094e2835.jpg]

Prior to the braise...
[Image: food211_zps82facbc6.jpg]

Grilled chicken thigh on braised dyno kale.
[Image: food210_zpse82fd7e1.jpg]

To ask why we cook is to ask why the leaves fall...
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-12-2014, 07:30 PM
RE: So, what's in the box?
Nom...nom...nom...looks good Sunset!!
05-13-2014, 06:04 AM
Sigh......Yes, Sunset the food pics always looks spectacular.

"... always throw spilt salt over your left shoulder, keep rosemary by your garden gate, plant lavender for luck, and fall in love whenever you can..." Practical Magic
05-13-2014, 02:02 PM
BaconButterOnionGarlic how can you POSSIBLY go wrong??!
OY. I could prolly eat an entire pot of that braised kale. Now, just *when* we're you inviting us ovah fer a meal...? Cool

Blah blah blah....yada yada yada!
05-13-2014, 02:52 PM
The whole idea sounds great, thank you for sharing.
05-16-2014, 02:03 PM
Shucks guys, thanks for the compliments.Smile I really hope I'm not coming off as one of those "Heeey! Lookit me, lookit meeee!" type people because I truly abhor that kind of behavior. I post these things in an effort to share, and in the hope that my ideas will inspire others to be the best they can be in the kitchen.Angel

So, onward...

Spring garlic, and cute wee baby cabbages
[Image: food220_zps440a332f.jpg]

Hothouse maters
[Image: food226_zps4e28e106.jpg]

The sweetest carrots I've ever tasted
[Image: food221_zps0ca5e23e.jpg]

I always whip up something special for Mrs Sunset on Mother's day. But this time I went out of the box a bit. I settled on braised short ribs this year, but I didn't want to do the same old-same old. I wanted to own it and make it mine. This is what I came up with...

I slow roasted the baby garlic bulbs as a garnish(sweet&yummy), but utilized the stems in the mirepoix. And of course used those incredible carrots too.
[Image: food225_zps490301df.jpg]

I wanted a dynamic dish with several flavor profiles coming together in perfect balance. So....

I started with 7 seed bagel crostini. Slathered on the spicy mayo(mayo-minced garlic-Franks hot sauce-splash of sriracha). I then utilized those lil cabbages for a crispy slaw(EVOO-balsamic-dijon-salt-pepper) and placed it atop the mayo. Then a slice of hothouse tomato. Then sweet pickled jalapeno and three rings of cold pickled shallot. Then I piled on lightly shredded braised short rib and gave it a good drizzling of pan juices. Then sprinkled with gremolata.

The tanginess of the shallot and fresh breezy quality of the gremolata balanced out the sweet richness of the short rib. The pickled jalapeno added a bit of heat and a lovely sweetness. And the creamy, vinegary mayo tied it all together. Infrequently my creations are best suited for the "kitchen disasters" thread...most are pretty good...and once in a great while I crack that sucker outta the park. This short rib slider is a straight up winner.

[Image: food228_zps151e2fa8.jpg]

05-16-2014, 02:57 PM
Sunset, sort of wish I was your mother... Tongue God Bless Her!
05-18-2014, 06:26 PM
Yah know you really should put up a warning sign before posting those pics.....Warning drool bib or rag needed before viewing. LOL Smile

"... always throw spilt salt over your left shoulder, keep rosemary by your garden gate, plant lavender for luck, and fall in love whenever you can..." Practical Magic
05-18-2014, 08:36 PM
(05-18-2014 06:26 PM)2Beers Wrote:  Yah know you really should put up a warning sign before posting those pics.....Warning drool bib or rag needed before viewing. LOL Smile

Bubba Bibs for everyone!

If I'd known you were French, I'd have worn galoshes...
05-20-2014, 01:05 PM
Right then...beets.

To me, beets are a bit like the desert. I can take them or leave them(mostly leave them 'cause they're both kinda creepy and taste like dirt), but I'm not willing to let go completely for fear of being closed minded and missing something good in life.

So, when the beets arrived I had a go in the spirit of adventurousness. When practical, I've been working these items 2 or 3 ways to find which preparation works best in a given situation. In this case...beet chips and a salad.

The chips turned out well, except for the fact they still taste like beets. I utilized them as a dipping platform for my hummus. Not too shabby...

The main course was roasted beet salad with roasted almonds, feta, and a balsamic/dijon vinaigrette.

[Image: food216_zps14c59858.jpg]

[Image: food224_zps321f04e1.jpg]

It wasn't bad, though certainly nothing to get excited about. In the end I suppose I'm no closer to beet enlightenment(nor any further) than when I started. That's ok though, as I'll have plenty of opportunities in the future. I just received the new delivery yesterday and found...

...more beets.Confused