Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
One-Pagers
05-27-2014, 07:32 PM (This post was last modified: 05-29-2014 07:06 PM by Mufasa.)
One-Pagers
Okay - as opposed to resorting to necromancy with an aged thread, I began anew. Please add anything that you wish. You know we love to read each other's schtuff!

Recently, I was told (roughly) that one-pagers: Stories that are no longer than a single fitting page or so, are far more difficult than full-on novels or such.
"Balderdash," I gruffed, and whipped 'dis out. I planned on a few more words, but upon the last keystroke, I stood away and noticed that it sounded like...?

~ Shadow ~

I was being watched. I could not see it, but my surroundings told me that it was there; the feeling before a storm arrives-the stillness and change in the air, but there was no storm now.
The only thing that did not seem affected when it was near was the wind; wind paid no heed to it, as did the animals in the wood. They hushed and hid when he was about. The wind did not fear him. Was it a male? I felt that it had to be. Even the water in the stream seemed to slow in his presence.

I stood on the far bank, perhaps twenty steps from the green wood, shaking. Grandfather would call me His Little Badger if he knew that I had crossed the stream.
“No fear to the point of recklessness,” he would say, and he would gently pat my face with his rough hands. Grandfather was not here now. But it was. The sensation of being watched grew stronger with each breath that I took. I tried not to think about my mother and father. Shoes-that is what they found, three shoes.
My only family now was Grandfather.

The trees moved as wind swept through again, making it impossible to see it if he were moving toward me. Not that it mattered, because if what the elders say is true I won’t really see it anyway; just shadow. That is one of its names, Shadow. It has had many others. It has had time to receive them. Its name was Baal when grandfather’s father told him the stories. Before even then, it was known as Fenrir. They were not all stories, though. I knew this.
I had seen the three shoes.

I crossed the distance between the stream and the wood, watching, listening. I could hear the blood rushing through my own body. My heart was going to explode and I would be dead before he knew that I was here. Perhaps that would be best. But I was fourteen seasons now; a man-almost. I had to slow my heart, I could not hear! I knelt and placed my hands onto the cold smoothness of the stones, not daring to close my eyes. How long had it taken to polish the stones? Hundreds of seasons? Thousands? Was it here for all of that long, long time? Why here?

Something shook the ground. Pebbles danced and changed position, as did a number of larger stones. I could not breath. Another shake. More stones moving.

Shadow approached.

My pocket held a talisman; a Darkstone with letters cut deep into it. I did not understand the letters, but Grandfather promised me that they held great power, and that it-Shadow-could only harm me if I showed fear. I wonder if Grandfather knows that I have come here. He would be proud of me. Mother and father would be proud of me. They will be proud. They all will.

I stood-

Most of us are so caught up in life that we forget to live it.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-27-2014, 07:39 PM
RE: One-Pagers
O.k, you really have to finish that!

05-27-2014, 07:52 PM
But-but.. J........ what if it IS finished?

05-27-2014, 07:53 PM (This post was last modified: 05-27-2014 08:09 PM by 2Beers.)
Yeah, what Nettie said. Terrible 1page teasers making us want more.

"... always throw spilt salt over your left shoulder, keep rosemary by your garden gate, plant lavender for luck, and fall in love whenever you can..." Practical Magic
05-27-2014, 08:57 PM
Heyyyy - now. I was just starting to drool!

Primary Principle - "It must NEVER be my fault"
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-27-2014, 09:44 PM
Farkin' eh!!! Finish that!!!
05-27-2014, 09:45 PM
Just had to explain why "it" ( the entity) is "it" and not, "It."

BECAUSE STEVEN KING CRAWLS INTO MY HEAD WHEN I TYPE "IT"... DAMMIT!

05-27-2014, 10:13 PM
Excuses Excuses.

Primary Principle - "It must NEVER be my fault"
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-28-2014, 02:53 PM
I like it the way it is....we can let our imaginations fill in the rest of the story!

If I'd known you were French, I'd have worn galoshes...
05-28-2014, 05:51 PM (This post was last modified: 05-28-2014 05:55 PM by Sunset.)
(05-27-2014 07:52 PM)Mufasa Wrote:  But-but.. J........ what if it IS finished?

I like it just as it is...and, suspect was meant to be.

The human mind wants to get to the bottom of things, wants closure. What's more titillating than unanswered questions woven together in a short and succinct manner?

Gives us something entertaining to chew on, I think.

To ask why we cook is to ask why the leaves fall...