Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
One-Pagers
05-28-2014, 08:05 PM
RE: One-Pagers
But, it would make a good long story, of book quality(Big Grin) if it were lengthened, since Muffy knows how to do that.

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-29-2014, 11:02 AM
Starts to remind me a bit of invisible monster type stories like "The Damned Thing" and "The Horla".
05-29-2014, 11:48 AM
Ambrose Bierce, Arthur Machen, Algernon Blackwood....masters of the short story and among my very favorites.

To ask why we cook is to ask why the leaves fall...
05-29-2014, 07:08 PM (This post was last modified: 05-29-2014 07:09 PM by Mufasa.)
Took a moment or two and went back through it. It reads a bit better now, I think.
Sadly, italics do not seem to function here.

Most of us are so caught up in life that we forget to live it.
06-02-2014, 05:24 PM
(05-27-2014 09:45 PM)Mufasa Wrote:  Just had to explain why "it" ( the entity) is "it" and not, "It."

BECAUSE STEVEN KING CRAWLS INTO MY HEAD WHEN I TYPE "IT"... DAMMIT!

I'm sorry "IT" is not finished. Can't be! I know you have more. The best way to grab an audience is to make them wait. So I will wait - ok I'm holding breath.
06-06-2014, 03:18 PM (This post was last modified: 06-06-2014 05:18 PM by Mufasa.)
Okay- not a one pager, but this was in my head last week. Just put it to paper, so to speak.

The two officers moved casually along the beach, occasionally clicking on their heavy flashlights to examine items that the sea deposited upon the shore. Another hour would see daybreak, and the much-anticipated breakfast at Sunrise Grill. City Officers received a twenty percent discount on food items, and free coffee and tea refills.

They left the beach and stepped up onto the concrete walkway, stomping their shoes to dislodge the damp sand. Ahead of them was a man standing in the walkway, facing the sea.

“It’s five am on a Wednesday; seriously?” This summation was issued from the younger of the two. They approached the man, who was probably drunk or mentally ill, or both. The second officer, who was older-more experienced, watched carefully. He noted the placement of the man’s hands and the fact that his eyes were closed, yet he was standing perfectly straight and quite still. Not drunk.

“Just take it easy, Brandt. I’ve never seen this one.”

Officer Brandt gripped the handle of his Taser. Williams stopped and stared at the younger officer, who removed his hand from the instrument, giving a “what the hell?” look. Williams shook his head and addressed the man in front of them.

“Good morning, sir.” Williams saw the man inhale and let the air out again, and then open his eyes. It was obvious that the man was irritated at the intrusion. He turned his head slightly in their direction.

“Good morning.” He nodded, and turned his eyes again toward the sea.

Officer Brandt snorted through his nostrils, shaking his head. “Hey bud, you have any I.D. on you?” Brandt posed the question as he positioned himself on the right side of the man as Williams remained on the left. Williams allowed more space between himself and the man than Brandt was offering.

“I was not aware that identification was required unless a crime was indicated, or an individual was acting suspicious. Neither is the case here.”

The voice was smooth, precise. It held a note of, what? Williams thought. Agedness? Was that the word? “Are you alright? Are you ill?”

To the man, the older officer seemed genuinely concerned. “I am fine.”
The quick movement startled Brandt. The man had only turned his head to face Williams, but there had been something in that movement.

“Thank you for checking, but I assure you, I am perfectly fine.”

Williams nodded, seeming to accept this as proof enough that this fellow was not up to no good.

“That’s great, now how about that ID.” Officer Brandt did not present this as a question. His right hand was back on the Taser.

The man turned his head to face the younger officer. “Perhaps there is a lesson here to be learned from your senior, Officer… Brandt.” The man said flatly, noting the name bar on Brandt’s vest. Brandt closed the distance between himself and the man, placing a gloved hand around the man’s right wrist. The man turned to Williams, looking the officer directly in the eyes.

“This did not have to happen. I have done nothing wrong, and I posed no threat until Officer Brandt assaulted me. You understand this, don’t you, Officer Williams?”

William’s mouth was slightly open, and his expression was that of a man seeing something unclear in the distance.

“Yes, of course. You were fine, perfectly fine.”

“What kind of bullshit-" Brandt began, but was cut short by an impact to his throat. He released his grip on the man, and staggered backwards. “I can’t bre…” he tried to finish but a fist to his temple dropped him onto the concrete, and he knew no more.

The man turned to Officer Williams. “He will recover. Perhaps you should stay with him until he awakes.”

Williams nodded. “Of course, that only makes sense.”

“You are a good man, Officer Williams.”

Williams smiled and offered his hand. “Well thank you, sir! I appreciate that. You have a good day now.”

A few moments later, Officer Brandt came to with Williams kneeling next to him. It didn’t help Brandt’s attitude when Williams explained to him that this was handled incorrectly, and Brandt was lucky that he had not been seriously injured.

“What the hell, Williams! What are you talking about? Where is the guy?” Brandt’s shouting voice was obviously not affected by the punch to his throat.

Williams looked a bit perplexed. “The guy-oh, yeah. Uh… he left.”
Brandt did not have a reply.

In grey darkness, Meridian smiled at this exchange, and continued down the path between the beach homes.

06-06-2014, 04:52 PM
Big Grin love it!!

06-07-2014, 09:44 PM
Thumbs up, Muffy!

If I'd known you were French, I'd have worn galoshes...
06-08-2014, 04:14 PM
Thanks, ladies.

06-08-2014, 08:09 PM
Bravo, Muffy!

"... always throw spilt salt over your left shoulder, keep rosemary by your garden gate, plant lavender for luck, and fall in love whenever you can..." Practical Magic