Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Mead?
08-23-2014, 09:10 PM
Mead?
Is anyone a fan of mead? My sister has a few batches underway. The first one is ready and is very sweet. Is this usual? I don't usually drink alcohol, so don't have anything to compare it to.

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-23-2014, 09:43 PM
RE: Mead?
Mead IS rather sweet to the palate, but some of us - like me - enjoy Mead greatly! Mead is not exactly for the feign of heart either because you can get a doozy of a hangover if you arent careful, but taken in moderation can be a delightful drink to partake of

Unless you drink it with chili aka Brewhaha 2012. Yes - I HAVE WITNESSES!

Primary Principle - "It must NEVER be my fault"
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-25-2014, 06:18 AM
Wink You don't say Boomer...(snicker). Looking forward to hopefully being a test subject for Nettie's sister. Big Grin

"... always throw spilt salt over your left shoulder, keep rosemary by your garden gate, plant lavender for luck, and fall in love whenever you can..." Practical Magic
08-25-2014, 02:40 PM
Always wanted to try it.

If it's good enough for the 13th Warrior, it's good enough for me. Pretty sure Ahmad ibn Fadlān ibn al-Abbās ibn Rāšid ibn Hammād wasn't familiar with chilli.Big Grin

To ask why we cook is to ask why the leaves fall...
08-26-2014, 08:49 AM
There is a winery in the northern part of WI that produces some lovely meads. I'm fortunate to find them here in my area of southern WI.

http://whitewinter.com

They are delicious and go down way to easily......

"... always throw spilt salt over your left shoulder, keep rosemary by your garden gate, plant lavender for luck, and fall in love whenever you can..." Practical Magic
08-26-2014, 05:41 PM
I've found that mead is either incredibly delicious or.... not. There is no in between.
I personally prefer dryer styles - some people like the sweeter, it's all in your taste.
There is so much that can be done with the base mead, either flavorings, or blendings,
or just straight.
I once did a tasting that had several meads made identically, except for the varietal of honey - and it was amazing that you could taste the differences.
08-26-2014, 06:57 PM
(08-25-2014 06:18 AM)2Beers Wrote:  Wink You don't say Boomer...(snicker). Looking forward to hopefully being a test subject for Nettie's sister. Big Grin
The first batch has been bottled. It was made with clover honey.
The second one was made with cranberry honey.
The third batch is a cyzer(apple cider and honey).
She has a pumpkin mead that just started brewing.

I liked the clover honey one. I had a small glass and it was like drinking sugar water...with a kick.
We'll see what the rest taste like. I had a taste of the Whitewinter stuff, it was very dry, but still good.

and I don't drink.Big Grin

08-26-2014, 07:33 PM
Oooh, a pumpkin mead.. Totally interested in being one of her guinea piglets.

08-26-2014, 09:04 PM
I prefer ANY mead really, although the truer english form of it tends to be a little sweeter and thicker than I expected at first.

Ahhh - I love The 13th Warrior - you even got the SPELLING down. DANG!

Primary Principle - "It must NEVER be my fault"
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-27-2014, 09:18 AM
(08-26-2014 09:04 PM)Boomer Wrote:  Ahhh - I love The 13th Warrior - you even got the SPELLING down. DANG!

Me too! I loves me some sword swingin' head flyin' action. And if there are vikings involved...all the better. Also, I totally cheated on the correct spelling of Ibn's full name.Blush

To ask why we cook is to ask why the leaves fall...