Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Ciders!
09-09-2014, 03:33 PM
Ciders!
I do not believe we have discussed ciders yet...so, especially with Autumn approaching...let's shall!

I have tried a few over the years and have liked every one that I have tasted. I just bought a few new ones the other day but have not cracked them open yet.

There are many different varieties and makers with varying alcohol levels. I am quite interested in what our members have tried and what they like. So...please, drink and write away!

"I don't cook; I prepare things." My late brother Bill
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-10-2014, 12:09 AM
RE: Ciders!
Ciders, you say? I've got some ideas to contribute.

Square Mile Original, paired with shrimp fried rice--the crispness and slight sweetness complimented the shrimp without overwhelming the egg and rice.

Thistly Cross, paired with a flame-grilled sirloin (seasoned simply with salt, pepper, garlic powder, and parsley powder) and ranch pasta salad--this somewhat more robust Scottish-style cider with its own distinct kind of crispness cut through both the richness of the steak and the spices in the salad.

Currently, there's also Wandering Aengus Ashmead's Kernel and Tieton Cider Works Blossom Nectar in the fridge, but I haven't gotten to those yet.
09-10-2014, 09:29 AM
Now you see, THAT is what I knew would happen! We have such great aficianados of food and drink here! Thanks for your suggestions, Wintertide.

Methinks I will continue to be amazed at the variety of styles and flavors. It sounds like a substantial research project but I am up for the challenge!

09-10-2014, 09:40 AM
Wow...clearly, you folks know your ciders!

I've never had the pleasure, but now that cider is on my radar I'm sure it won't be long. Sounds like cider may also be a good fit for poaching, braising fluids and the like.

Thanks!

To ask why we cook is to ask why the leaves fall...
09-10-2014, 01:00 PM
(09-10-2014 09:40 AM)Sunset Wrote:  Wow...clearly, you folks know your ciders!

I've never had the pleasure, but now that cider is on my radar I'm sure it won't be long. Sounds like cider may also be a good fit for poaching, braising fluids and the like.

Thanks!

Great idea! I have been wondering how to handle the 22oz bottles in my fridge...at almost 7% alcohol I didn't want to feel pressured to drink the entire thing by myself. A poaching or marinating project would be perfect to keep me from getting too tipsy or wasting the stuff. (Yes, I have a low tolerance!)

09-10-2014, 09:12 PM
I have only sampled one cider. It is to the memory of my Uncle Dale that I speak about it. When I graduated high school (long time ago galaaxy far far away) I spent an entire summer at the family farm in Michigan. My Uncle Dale came out one day and handed me a mysterious quart jar, filled with a amber like liquid. As it turns it, he asked me to sit down and poured some into a glass. It was his home made hard apple cider. And it was so very very good! He had mixed up some apple cider, raisins, cinnamon sticks, and Everclear into a whiskey cask, and let it sit for about 10 YEARS! When he passed away from cancer in 2007 he took the exact recipe with him, but after the funeral all us nieces and nephews talked about was that wonderful sweet elixir known now but to God.

Thats about the ONLY cider I have ever had.

Primary Principle - "It must NEVER be my fault"
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-21-2014, 11:42 PM
I finally had a chance to try the Tieton Cider Works Blossom Nectar that I mentioned previously.

It's a sweet cider, not overwhelmingly so, but still a kind that seems to work better with desserts. At least to me, its flavors got somewhat lost among the salmon cooked in a foil pack on the grill and rice pilaf, but were a surprisingly nice contrast to the chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream (yeah, I tried it Tongue) later on.
09-22-2014, 08:57 PM
Stella Artois makes a nicely mild cider, I also have enjoyed the ever so slightly more -tart?- Johnny Appleseed brand, Reds hard cider was a little too edgy, for me, but there ends my trials so far... My mom used to make what she called apple jack. Similar to what you describe, Boomer, sans the ever clear...and it was glorious. But my ex. Made off with the antique bottle and stand she loaned us, and I've never had the heart to go at it again.

Do deep thoughts and lofty ideals cancel each other out?
09-23-2014, 09:32 AM
I had the mainstream "Angry Orchard" the other night at a meal out. It was OK. And then I did try one of the small-scale ciders I had in my fridge. (I forgot the name but will check tonight.) It was better but seemed "thin" in body.

09-27-2014, 09:01 AM
There are a ton of small ciderys coming out these days - paralleling the craft beer boom.
Here in New England I can think of at least a half dozen small operations that have just recently come on line, and I know of a few more in progress.
I make my own beer, so each fall I make up a batch of cider as well. Super easy to do at home.
The past couple years I've been splitting it into two batches for aging post fermentation with interesting ingretidents - last year was some with cinnamon stick and vanilla, and some with bourbon-soaked oak chips.
This year I'm planning on dry-hopping some, similar to what you do with beer - put some hops in to soak after fermentation to get some of that flavor and aroma in.