Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 4 Average
A public poll
09-10-2014, 11:57 AM
A public poll
The disgusting chemical melange that is Miracle Whip?
(I mean, Miracle Whip??? Wtf kinda name is that???)

OR

Creamy, delicious Best Foods/Hellman's mayo?

Discuss...Big Grin

To ask why we cook is to ask why the leaves fall...
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-10-2014, 12:49 PM
RE: A public poll
Mayo. Best Foods. (Especially good on a lettuce, mutton, and tomato sandwich...at least Billy Crystal thinks so.)

Miracle Whip? That is what Indiana Jones uses to great effect.

"I don't cook; I prepare things." My late brother Bill
09-10-2014, 09:15 PM
Well, honestly, Ive done both, but theres this SANDWICH I love about two days after Thanksgiving, and it does seem to taste better with Helmans, but Miracle Whip works.

But then I dont have a sophisticated palate....mine is more LETS EAT!

Primary Principle - "It must NEVER be my fault"
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-11-2014, 07:45 PM
Honest to goodness mayonnaise! On sandwiches, a dip for artichoke, a dip for asparagus, and probably millions of other yummy things!
Miracle Whip....it's a miracle you survive after the tiniest taste! {Shudder} Confused

If I'd known you were French, I'd have worn galoshes...
09-11-2014, 08:45 PM
Mayo....but if you need that slightly sweet taste from the other jar. You can always mix a pinch of sugar, drop of lemon juice and mix until it has that taste.

"... always throw spilt salt over your left shoulder, keep rosemary by your garden gate, plant lavender for luck, and fall in love whenever you can..." Practical Magic
09-12-2014, 10:20 AM
cinco de MAYO! that's 5 heaping spoons of mayonnaise! a can of tuna, and some pickle relish and 3 boiled eggs! YOU CAN TUNE A PIANO, BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FISH!

Trying to save the day for the Old World Man!
[Image: avatar_7108.jpg?dateline=1535034322]
09-24-2014, 12:50 PM
Right then...

At this point we have 90 views...5 discerning palates...one one elusive omnivore who doesn't post much anymore.Big Grin

09-24-2014, 09:34 PM (This post was last modified: 09-25-2014 12:23 AM by SpaceCadet.)
WTH? Sacrilege - sacrilege I tellya.

If it ain't Miracle Whip, it ain't mayo. Period. Full stop. Everyone out of the pool.

I suspect we're going tongue-in-cheek here, but here's the list of Miracle Whip ingredients, straight from the Kraft site (their all-caps, not mine):

WATER, SOYBEAN OIL, HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP, VINEGAR, MODIFIED CORNSTARCH, EGGS, SALT, NATURAL FLAVOR, MUSTARD FLOUR, POTASSIUM SORBATE AS A PRESERVATIVE, PAPRIKA, SPICE, DRIED GARLIC.

The only Fearsome Chemical on there is potassium sorbate, and since it's a preservative I give it an enthusiastic thumbs up - 'cause every time I reach for a jar of something-or-other just to find it's prematurely become a festering glob of fermented sludge (because its manufacturer thought trendiness was more important than product longevity,) I just want to make loud noises and break stuff. 'Love my preservatives, and given perfect health after 50-plus years of ingesting pretty much everything on the Periodic Table, I think people are a little hypochondriac on the subject. And just don't get me started on the Great Guts-Gobbling Gorgon of Gluten, which in the last couple of years has supplanted Jason, Michael, Freddy and Giger's "Alien" in the pantheon of horrors, hilariously enough.
But I digress. Rolleyes

Now, here's the ingredients list for Hellman's Mayonnaise, straight from the Hellman's site ('same typographical disclaimer):

SOYBEAN OIL, WATER, WHOLE EGGS AND EGG YOLKS, VINEGAR, SALT, SUGAR, LEMON JUICE, CALCIUM DISODIUM EDTA (USED TO PROTECT QUALITY), NATURAL FLAVORS.

...So the big question would be: If potassium sorbate makes Miracle Whip a Fearsome Chemical-Mutation-Inducing Horror... why doesn't calcium disodium EDTA? Cool If you ask me "potassium sorbate" actually sounds tastier - bananas are big on potassium, and sorbate sounds kinda friendly. In any case I'm not particularly worried about either, and compared to MW other mayos have always tasted monumentally bland to me. MW has got a little kick of sour-spicy that enhances the mayo base perfectly. But again, 'likely what you grew up with and are used to.

So... sticking with my big MW - 'cause... if it ain't Miracle Whip, it just ain't mayo.

"Waiter...can you stop that noise? What you call 'music.' It sounds like dirty water. How can they eat food - and listen to ****?"
- Sabina (Lena Olin) in The Unbearable Lightness of Being
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-25-2014, 09:06 AM
(09-24-2014 09:34 PM)SpaceCadet Wrote:  WTH? Sacrilege - sacrilege I tellya.

If it ain't Miracle Whip, it ain't mayo. Period. Full stop. Everyone out of the pool.

I suspect we're going tongue-in-cheek here, but here's the list of Miracle Whip ingredients, straight from the Kraft site (their all-caps, not mine):

WATER, SOYBEAN OIL, HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP, VINEGAR, MODIFIED CORNSTARCH, EGGS, SALT, NATURAL FLAVOR, MUSTARD FLOUR, POTASSIUM SORBATE AS A PRESERVATIVE, PAPRIKA, SPICE, DRIED GARLIC.

The only Fearsome Chemical on there is potassium sorbate, and since it's a preservative I give it an enthusiastic thumbs up - 'cause every time I reach for a jar of something-or-other just to find it's prematurely become a festering glob of fermented sludge (because its manufacturer thought trendiness was more important than product longevity,) I just want to make loud noises and break stuff. 'Love my preservatives, and given perfect health after 50-plus years of ingesting pretty much everything on the Periodic Table, I think people are a little hypochondriac on the subject. And just don't get me started on the Great Guts-Gobbling Gorgon of Gluten, which in the last couple of years has supplanted Jason, Michael, Freddy and Giger's "Alien" in the pantheon of horrors, hilariously enough.
But I digress. Rolleyes

Now, here's the ingredients list for Hellman's Mayonnaise, straight from the Hellman's site ('same typographical disclaimer):

SOYBEAN OIL, WATER, WHOLE EGGS AND EGG YOLKS, VINEGAR, SALT, SUGAR, LEMON JUICE, CALCIUM DISODIUM EDTA (USED TO PROTECT QUALITY), NATURAL FLAVORS.

...So the big question would be: If potassium sorbate makes Miracle Whip a Fearsome Chemical-Mutation-Inducing Horror... why doesn't calcium disodium EDTA? Cool If you ask me "potassium sorbate" actually sounds tastier - bananas are big on potassium, and sorbate sounds kinda friendly. In any case I'm not particularly worried about either, and compared to MW other mayos have always tasted monumentally bland to me. MW has got a little kick of sour-spicy that enhances the mayo base perfectly. But again, 'likely what you grew up with and are used to.

So... sticking with my big MW - 'cause... if it ain't Miracle Whip, it just ain't mayo.

Soooooo...I'll take that as a vote for Miracle Whip then?Tongue

And thanks for the post...a good chuckle always turns a sour morning around.Smile

I hunt down and kill/devour free range glutens in my spare time, So, clearly we have some common ground...

11-02-2014, 11:31 AM (This post was last modified: 11-02-2014 11:32 AM by emtheaded.)
The vote is 2-1 in my house. My son (age 9) and I vote for mayo, and Duke's in particular (hey, I grew up in the South, so my choice of brand can hardly be a surprise). My wife (from Pittsburgh), on the other hand, is all about the M.W. I don't mind M.W., but given the choice, which I have in my fridge, I'll reach for the Duke's every time. I've tried several times to make my own mayo using Alton Brown's "Good Eats" recipe, but I screw it up every time.

Air goes in and out. Blood goes round and round. Any deviation is a problem.