Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 4 Average
A public poll
11-02-2014, 09:17 PM
RE: A public poll
I'm off processed food, I'll make my own mayo...if I need any. Big Grin

I'm taking a ride with my best friend...I hope he never lets me down again.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-03-2014, 07:37 AM (This post was last modified: 11-03-2014 07:39 AM by Markus Awreallyus.)
Once upon a time I discovered the richness of a good mayo and out went the MW like my old Kiss records after hearing Rush. But after some time I missed the taste of it and found myself going back every now and then. It works for some things. Make your own, if you don't like ready made.

"Listen...Jump on a moonbeam and rise, ride it, glide it all the way"
11-05-2014, 07:25 AM
With food allergies of corn and wheat, nuts, and soy, at my house, (thank goodness not all in one person), it's way past time to figure out the do it myself variety. After all the holidays are a coming, and what's a good leftover turkey sandwich or deviled eggs, without mayo? My oil of choice - rice oil, good for baking, stir fry, and, and, but have to order on line as stores around here don't carry it in "all the time use" sizes. Which reminders me, I'm about out... So smoker guy, any recipe / tips on making some of the good stuff?

Do deep thoughts and lofty ideals cancel each other out?
11-05-2014, 09:35 AM
(11-05-2014 07:25 AM)NEJ1T Wrote:  With food allergies of corn and wheat, nuts, and soy, at my house, (thank goodness not all in one person), it's way past time to figure out the do it myself variety. After all the holidays are a coming, and what's a good leftover turkey sandwich or deviled eggs, without mayo? My oil of choice - rice oil, good for baking, stir fry, and, and, but have to order on line as stores around here don't carry it in "all the time use" sizes. Which reminders me, I'm about out... So smoker guy, any recipe / tips on making some of the good stuff?

Here's one:
Homemade Mayonnaise
Yield: Makes about 3/4 cup

Ingredients

1 large egg yolk*
1 1/2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
1/4 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1/2 teaspoon salt plus more to taste
3/4 cup canola oil, divided
Preparation

Combine egg yolk, lemon juice, vinegar, mustard, and 1/2 teaspoon salt in medium bowl. Whisk until blended and bright yellow, about 30 seconds.

Using 1/4 teaspoon measure and whisking constantly, add 1/4 cup oil to yolk mixture, a few drops at a time, about 4 minutes. Gradually add remaining 1/2 cup oil in very slow thin stream, whisking constantly, until mayonnaise is thick, about 8 minutes (mayonnaise will be lighter in color). Cover and chill. do ahead Can be made up to 2 days ahead. Keep chilled.

Variation:
To make aioli, add 1 minced garlic clove to the egg mixture, and substitute extravirgin olive oil for the canola oil.

* Raw egg is not recommended for infants, the elderly, pregnant women, and people with weakened immune systems. To avoid the risk of salmonella infection, you can use pasteurized egg yolk instead.

I'm taking a ride with my best friend...I hope he never lets me down again.
11-05-2014, 10:45 AM
(11-05-2014 09:35 AM)smoker guy Wrote:  
(11-05-2014 07:25 AM)NEJ1T Wrote:  With food allergies of corn and wheat, nuts, and soy, at my house, (thank goodness not all in one person), it's way past time to figure out the do it myself variety. After all the holidays are a coming, and what's a good leftover turkey sandwich or deviled eggs, without mayo? My oil of choice - rice oil, good for baking, stir fry, and, and, but have to order on line as stores around here don't carry it in "all the time use" sizes. Which reminders me, I'm about out... So smoker guy, any recipe / tips on making some of the good stuff?

Here's one:
Homemade Mayonnaise
Yield: Makes about 3/4 cup

Ingredients

1 large egg yolk*
1 1/2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
1/4 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1/2 teaspoon salt plus more to taste
3/4 cup canola oil, divided
Preparation

Combine egg yolk, lemon juice, vinegar, mustard, and 1/2 teaspoon salt in medium bowl. Whisk until blended and bright yellow, about 30 seconds.

Using 1/4 teaspoon measure and whisking constantly, add 1/4 cup oil to yolk mixture, a few drops at a time, about 4 minutes. Gradually add remaining 1/2 cup oil in very slow thin stream, whisking constantly, until mayonnaise is thick, about 8 minutes (mayonnaise will be lighter in color). Cover and chill. do ahead Can be made up to 2 days ahead. Keep chilled.

Variation:
To make aioli, add 1 minced garlic clove to the egg mixture, and substitute extravirgin olive oil for the canola oil.

* Raw egg is not recommended for infants, the elderly, pregnant women, and people with weakened immune systems. To avoid the risk of salmonella infection, you can use pasteurized egg yolk instead.

Heading back home Saturday, can't wait to try it!!! Thank you! Smile

Do deep thoughts and lofty ideals cancel each other out?
11-07-2014, 03:24 AM
REAL mayo, thank you.

... in a world where I feel so small I can't stop thinking big!