Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
iPod Classic, R.I.P.
09-10-2014, 02:14 PM
iPod Classic, R.I.P.
While yesterday brought exciting thoughts about the new iPhone 6 and the Apple watch, it was a very sad days to folks like me that depend on the venerable iPod Classic. It has been discontinued by Apple and there was no announcement of anything bigger and badder to replace it. The 160GB allowed me to have a decent amount of lossless file music. Lossless files take up lots of room so the 160 was the only way to have ample songs in near-CD quality. I carry TWO with me when I am on the road and camping.

That magical little box was revolutionary to me. Until the cassette Walkman came out in the late 70's we had nothing to listen to other than a radio. I hauled around quite a few tapes and batteries on my trips. Then when CD's came out I patiently waited until portable CD players were available and then I dragged along CDs AND tapes (because old titles on CD were slow to be released). When MP3 players came out I eschewed them because of the poor fidelity. But one magical day Apple created the Lossless file structure and made their players "gapless" (so that there was not a gap of silence between suites of music like "Supper's Ready" or "Hemispheres"). I finally climbed on board and it was amazing to have dozens of albums in a tiny box. The convenience, weight savings, and sheer joy could not be beat. The Classic was updated over the years and got smaller and better.

But it is past tense. And there was no announcement of a replacement. Don't even utter the word "Cloud" to me...the only Cloud that I can access when I am in the mountains or the deserts produces rain, not music (and doesn't support Lossless anyway.) So snap them up while you can...the price is already skyrocketing on-line.

I will hope my Classics play on for a while longer until another brilliant company comes out with something similar...please make it at least a Terabyte! In the meantime, the masses seem content to listen to crappy, compressed files on small-capacity iPods, other MP3 players, and cellphones. For so many nowadays, it is not quality of music, but rather, quantity of music that counts.

Not me. You can find me under a tree, listening to some great, full fidelity tracks through my Denons that are connected to a headphone amp that in turn is plugged into my "antique" Classic.

It is a sad day!

Rest in Peace, iPod Classic!

"I don't cook; I prepare things." My late brother Bill
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-12-2014, 03:21 PM
RE: iPod Classic, R.I.P.
Yes, I know it is gauche to reply to your own thread when no one else has but...there was an article the other day that I saw and it noted that since the Classic was killed off they are selling like hotcakes. Even the 80 gb and 120 gb Classic iPods were selling for up to $900 now! And I thought I was pinched when I had to pay about $340 for my newest 160 gb.

Supply and demand...

12-14-2014, 08:04 AM (This post was last modified: 12-14-2014 08:06 AM by 2Beers.)
Ours is the only way we take our music library with us as we travel either by cage or bike.

"... always throw spilt salt over your left shoulder, keep rosemary by your garden gate, plant lavender for luck, and fall in love whenever you can..." Practical Magic
12-14-2014, 09:21 PM
Nung..... Were those prices for used or new iPods? I might have to sacrifice mine for that kind of dough!

If I'd known you were French, I'd have worn galoshes...
12-15-2014, 09:24 AM
(12-14-2014 09:21 PM)Gungawoman Wrote:  Nung..... Were those prices for used or new iPods? I might have to sacrifice mine for that kind of dough!

Good question!
The article didn't say. But an the 120 and especially, the 80gb units have not been sold new by Apple for quite some time. So while they could be new, the likelihood is that they are used.

I bet you could get good money. eB*y and Am***n would be the natural place to sell.

(The 160 I bought a few days after the announcement was new.)