Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Natto
09-18-2014, 12:44 AM
Natto
I wonder if Brutus would like this?

I am an Asian American (no duh) specifically Japanese, and everyone is familiar with sushi and sashimi. (yuck) Yet in Japan, especially in the suburbs (Outside of Tokyo, Kyoto and Osaka) more rural, sashimi and sushi are more of the exception than the rule. I have relatives in Kitakata Fukushima (yeah, that Fukushima) and they are well-to-do farmers. We, like every other farmer eat mostly veggies, like: http://bit.ly/XIek2Y. These veggies are great! But another thing our family eat and I used to eat it regularly when my grandparents were alive was natto gohan: http://cdn.tsunagujapan.com/2014/08/Natto.jpg This is great stuff, curd soybean and it's sticky too. You can see the bacillus, or the after-effect on the soy bean.

My grandmother used to put the natto in the oven and allowed the bean to rot. We had an old stove with a pilot light that kept the oven warm. When the natto was done, we would put soy sauce on the natto, but the natto on the rice and eat it too. My mom put thinly cut scallions with the natto and eat it with the rice.

During the war WWII, my dad said that my grandmother used to put the natto at the base of his foot at night and let the natto ferment. The body temperature helped ferment the beans. Sadly, we eat natto in a package: http://kimberlysteele.files.wordpress.co...0natto.jpg and it seems to not have the flavor that my grandmother created when she made natto.

If anyone is interested in trying this, I would be more than happy to share the recipe my grandmother had, that came from Japan and was a part of our family for more than 300 years...next post? Inari-zushi.

P.S.: My sister's kids and husband hate natto gohan. My sister loves it though Tongue
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-21-2014, 09:34 PM (This post was last modified: 09-21-2014 09:44 PM by NEJ1T.)
RE: Natto
Oh, how I wish you had said ferment the first time instead of rot.... So I have to go look it up now before I pass judgement... Thanks for sharing! I never thought I'd like kimchi either...maybe I will try it someday. - ok looked it up and I see potential, but they say it can be smelly, is it unique? Or is it similar to...something? Like broccoli, or sulfides in eggs, or "aged" meat?...the smell I mean.

Do deep thoughts and lofty ideals cancel each other out?
09-22-2014, 04:22 PM
RE: Natto
(09-21-2014 09:34 PM)NEJ1T Wrote:  Oh, how I wish you had said ferment the first time instead of rot.... So I have to go look it up now before I pass judgement... Thanks for sharing! I never thought I'd like kimchi either...maybe I will try it someday. - ok looked it up and I see potential, but they say it can be smelly, is it unique? Or is it similar to...something? Like broccoli, or sulfides in eggs, or "aged" meat?...the smell I mean.

Sorry! It's more of a humor thing, being Japanese American and all. It's an acquired taste but once you eat it and enjoy natto, the health benefit bypass the taste...but I do love the taste of natto though