Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Ghost Rider?
10-04-2014, 01:54 PM
Ghost Rider?
I had a friend send me some ghost pepper cheese. It's Monterey Jack with Bhut Jolokia and Habanero. I shipped it to my parent's place and it looked like this:

https://www.wisconsincheesemart.com/uplo...opped.jpg.

The cheese was vacuumed-packed, my buddy shipped it via USPS and it arrived a few days later. I told my parents to put the whole box in the refrigerator because the cheese was arriving. Well, I arrived to my parent's place, did my laundry and waited for the rest of my family members so I could share the cheese. I found out that my brother in law would not show up until 8 p.m.

So I waited. My mouth was watering. I was wondering how hot can the cheese be? I lived in East L.A. all my life. Ive eaten my share of fresh and pickled Jalapenos and munched on fresh Serranos from my neighbor's plant, so burning is nothing new to me. I was eager. My mouth was watering, my inner self was longing for the cheese, so I grabbed a few wasabi arare. I just needed something hot.

As the clock kept ticking away, I went on the Net to look for something to do. I was playing some flash online games and waited patiently. Then after a few hours...DING DONG! Darn, he finally arrived! So I ran to the kitchen, went to the refrigerator, open up the package, told my brother in law about the cheese, we sat down and I said: lets eat!

As I opened up the seal, I heard the rush of air enter into the air-tight package. My mother said to wait until dinner, so we did. The night was hot, as we in California are suffering from a drought. The Summer night had me perspiring but we were going to eat cold soba (Buckwheat noodle). As dinner was served, I got my chopstick, dropped the soba into the bowl with Mentsuyu (dipping sauce) with horse radish and scallion, picked up the dipping bowl, placed the noodle to my mouth and gentle slurped (without making noise) the noodles. The cold noodle cooled me down from the Summer heat and my stomach was feeling quite well.

Then my mother brought out the cheese. She placed the cheese next to my brother in law and me and she said to eat. My mother said the cheese were already sliced into rectangles and she cut it into two squares. There were wax paper separating the cheese. So my brother in law and I took one square, removed the wax paper and ate the cheese.

As I started chewing on the cheese, I noticed the Jack was mild. It did not have an offending aroma, the cheese taste quite delicious, and I kept chewing to savor the...7 seconds later, the heat came rushing in like a training arriving into a train station at full speed without stopping, my tongue started to burn, the mouth felt like someone lit a lighter in my mouth, my Asian eyes went round in shock as the peppers kicked in.

I then reached for my beer, but stopped, knowing that it would only make my mouth burn more, my breathing was labored, hoping the air would cool my mouth, but then I started perspiring again. This time, I was perspiring like I was working on a road crew, I was breathing even harder and said to myself, man this is hot. I then swallowed the cheese, felt the burn go down my throat, and hit bottom as I gasped for breath.

My brother in law and I were in shock. We have never eaten cheese this spicy. My stomach was so irritated that I was no longer hungry. So I sat back and allowed the chili to cool down. After about 10 minutes, my mouth was less irritated and I went for another slice and then another and then another...eight all together or four rectangles. That night, I just sat and ate the soba. As I was writing this bit, my nose started to run, because, the memory of fire in my mouth brought back the effects of night with the family.

Enjoy the cheese, it's delicious!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-04-2014, 06:01 PM
RE: Ghost Rider?
Smile sorry the link wasn't working correctly, but nice to see you got something from the Dairy State.

"... always throw spilt salt over your left shoulder, keep rosemary by your garden gate, plant lavender for luck, and fall in love whenever you can..." Practical Magic
10-04-2014, 08:30 PM (This post was last modified: 10-05-2014 09:28 PM by Asian Rush Fan.)
(10-04-2014 06:01 PM)2Beers Wrote:  Smile sorry the link wasn't working correctly, but nice to see you got something from the Dairy State.

Yeah, a burned mouth and excessive amount of perspiration! Good cheese though
10-05-2014, 08:16 PM
Haha!!! I'm growing habaneros and ghost chilis in my greenhouse. There are tons of the habaneros. The ghost chilis have bloomed and are JUST starting to form. Sure hope they get going before the frost gets heavy.
I grow LOTS of peppers and chilis. This is the 1st time for these two. While all other chilis grow throughout the plant, these two grow on a crown at the top of the plant. Weird.

If I'd known you were French, I'd have worn galoshes...
10-05-2014, 09:29 PM
(10-05-2014 08:16 PM)Gungawoman Wrote:  Haha!!! I'm growing habaneros and ghost chilis in my greenhouse. There are tons of the habaneros. The ghost chilis have bloomed and are JUST starting to form. Sure hope they get going before the frost gets heavy.
I grow LOTS of peppers and chilis. This is the 1st time for these two. While all other chilis grow throughout the plant, these two grow on a crown at the top of the plant. Weird.

You Bubba Grill folks are nuts! Can ya send me some peppers???