Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Fried Turkey
11-02-2014, 02:25 PM
Fried Turkey
Is anybody frying their Thanksgiving/Christmas turkey this year? I was given a turkey fryer as a Fathers Day present this year, but have not had the courage to try it out. I've always wanted to, but I have to get over my fear of ruining the turkey, setting my lawn on fire, setting myself on fire, etc. I don't know if I have the time or energy to build Alton Brown's legendary turkey derrick in the back yard (if you've never seen it, look it up. It's really quite a sight). The start up costs for proper turkey frying are considerable, if you do it the way Alton suggests. I'm always open to any suggestions from anyone. Thanx!

Air goes in and out. Blood goes round and round. Any deviation is a problem.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-03-2014, 07:58 AM
RE: Fried Turkey
two are better then one. If you fry the bird, no natural gravy, stuffing on the side. It is quicker and it is delicious if done right. if you do a small bird inside too you have the best of both worlds. One note; if you fry the bird use a quality oil. It's expensive but peanut oil is the shizzle when it comes to frying? 330 is a good temp to cook at. Be careful, if the oil is too hot boom there goes the deck. All the flavor enhancers can be confusing too. The bird tastes great all by itself. One more suggestion, Try to buy a fresh bird ( never frozen) I hope this helps.

"Listen...Jump on a moonbeam and rise, ride it, glide it all the way"
11-16-2014, 11:56 AM
Thanx, those are indeed helpful tips! I've noticed peanut oil in large vessels suddenly and magically appear for sale at the local supermarkets and Costco. We're doing Thanksgiving on the 29th this year (I'm working Thurs. and Fri. this year), so I'll report back with the results if I can pull it all together.

Air goes in and out. Blood goes round and round. Any deviation is a problem.
11-19-2014, 03:22 PM
For sure peanut oil and whatever you do MEASURE the amount of oil you need first. I have done a deep fried bird for the last 10+ years and they are fantastic! I usually go about 10 or so deg. hotter than Markus, but that's cool you just have to cook longer... So from the Bear's backyard here is my protocol by the numbers...
1. fresh or COMPLETELY thawed bird.
2. Place bird in frying apparatus, fill w/ water until just covered.
3.Remove bird and try to drain all the water from the bird into container.
4.mark water level w/ a"sharpie" on the exterior.
5.drain water, dry bird, dry fryer pot. fill to mark with peanut oil.
6.340-350 deg. and 3-3.5 min per lb.
7.Enjoy best doggone turkey ever!
HAPPY THANKSGIVING EVERYBODY!