Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 3 Average
Scriveners & Scribblings
12-02-2014, 08:49 PM
RE: Scriveners & Scribblings
(12-01-2014 09:44 PM)Mufasa Wrote:  Thank you J - it will all come together.

M
Nice work so far!Big Grin
Is it inspired by "Hot for Teacher"?

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-03-2014, 07:58 AM
"Got it bad-got it bad-got it bad.... I'm hot for teacher!"

Most of us are so caught up in life that we forget to live it.
12-03-2014, 08:01 PM
Very interested in this story, Muffy. I have wanted to write a similar story for Avery long time....

If I'd known you were French, I'd have worn galoshes...
12-04-2014, 01:55 PM (This post was last modified: 12-04-2014 06:58 PM by Mufasa.)
lV

Within three days Abby had been effectively accused, tried, and convicted of immoral behavior with a student. The school board - all five of them - unanimously voted to remove her teaching privileges and ban her from ever teaching in the district. Letters of notification were also mailed to every district within a hundred miles. She was shunned by most of the townsfolk, and eventually would not venture out of her small, rented home. Jonathan’s mother was actually involved in a fist fight at the A&P store over a comment made by another cashier. No charges were issued; it was a fair fight and as the owner saw it, Lucy Mason got exactly what she deserved with that black eye.

Jonathan ignored the instructions from his mother to stay as far away from “that young woman” as possible. Abby finally answered her door after Jonathan threatened to kick it in. He was shocked at her appearance. It was obvious that she had lost weight, and that she had not been sleeping. It hurt his heart so, that he found he was weeping along with her as they held each other.

“I’m leaving, John. I have to. I have to find someplace that they didn’t blacklist me.” Jonathan felt the world collapse like the old bridge, crashing and destroying everything beneath it.

“No,” he whispered as he held her. “Please, Abby... you can find something else to do.”

“Something else? Here? John, in their eyes I am a criminal. I can’t stay here.”

He felt another spar twist and snap, and fall onto the rocks. “Abby-“

“Please go before someone knows you’re here. I don’t want your mom to get into another fight.”

“She’s tough. She can handle it. Besides, she knows how I feel about you.” Abby held her hand to his face. She seemed so small to Jonathan. The desire to protect her swept over him like a wave. “We’ll figure it out, I promise. I’ll be done with school in less than a week. They’ve already told everyone that we will be let out early.

“Because of me.”

“Because of us,” he replied, and kissed her cheek. “I brought you a sandwich and some other stuff. Please eat something, Abby.”

“I will. You should go.”
He stood, pulling her up with him as he did so. She leaned into him shivered. All he could think of was how to protect her, how to make this all go away.

Walking to Shaky’s, Jonathan passed Dealing Dave’s Used Cars & Tractors. Dave himself sat on a faded, green and white steel glide swing near the front steps. He waved at Jonathan and flashed his best, “come in for the graduation special” smile. Jonathan ignored that wave. He had little respect for the man, after the junk that Dave conned Jonathan’s mom into buying.
“Up yours, dickhead,” he muttered as Dave continued the wave and smile. Entering Shaky’s place, his eyes adjusted from the bright sunlight. He noted the stares he received from the few customers at the counter and tables. He knew all of their names-every one of them.

“How’s everybody doing today?” Jonathan bellowed the question, arms spread wide. “Are we all feeling happy and close to God?” He glared at the nearest customer, Mr. Wiggins, who Jonathan had done field work for. The man nodded to Jonathan and returned to his coffee. Jonathan stepped up to the counter and clapped his hands as he sat on the nearest empty stool. “The usual, please Mr. Barnes.” Shaky gave him a glance that said, ‘what the hell are you doing, Jonathan?’ and placed a Coke in front of him. Jonathan took along drink and slammed the bottle down onto the counter.

“Whew! Nothing like a cold drink on a hot day.” He turned to the two women to his left, who both happened to be on the school board. “Am I right?” They looked down their noses at him. “No? I thought if anyone would appreciate a nice cold one it would be you two, Mrs. Maples, Mrs. Sharp.” Both women turned bright red. Everyone in Shaky’s knew full well that these two loved their gin and tonics, even while sitting in Board meetings, destroying a young woman’s career.

“John, take it easy buddy.” Martin whispered this.

“Take it easy? Take it… easy. Yeah, I’ll take it easy. I’ll take it easy on these hypocrites and mud slingers. I’ll take it easy on these wife beaters and alcoholics. I’ll take it real easy on the cheaters and liars.” Jonathan was shaking now, fist clenched, daring anyone to challenge him – hoping someone would. Martin was suddenly beside him, his beefy arm around Jonathan’s shoulder.

“Come on; let’s walk outside for a minute.” Jonathan barely heard him, but his legs were suddenly moving. Martin led them a few paces down from the shop. “Don’t think I don’t know what you’re feeling, Okay?”

Jonathan appeared to come back to earth. “What? What happened?”

“You got pissed off and said what was on your mind, that’s what happened.”

“I -I guess I did.” He suddenly thought that was very funny. He snickered, which started Shaky laughing, which fueled Jonathan to laugh even more. Another local stepped off of the sidewalk as he passed, giving them both a wide margin of safety.

12-04-2014, 02:12 PM
Provocative. I'm getting sucked into this one...the sign of a well written piece imo.

To ask why we cook is to ask why the leaves fall...
12-04-2014, 02:40 PM
* Tips hat *
Appreciated, Mr. Sunset.

12-05-2014, 03:52 PM (This post was last modified: 12-05-2014 03:53 PM by Mufasa.)
Vl

Jonathan was still shaking when he left the shop. Martin had managed to calm him somewhat, but he was a bit at odds with himself over blacking out. Had he really said all of those things? “Screw ‘em,” he said out loud, and laughed as he walked through town.

Abby stood on the edge of the collapsed span. Her eyes were red and puffy, and her hair was pulled back in a haphazard pony tail. She stood with her arms folded, staring down into the rushing water, far below. She was suddenly very sleepy, and swayed slightly when the breeze rushed around her. Her career was ruined.

One mistake, just one, stupid mistake and- “God,” she whispered. “I wish I could do it all over again.”
The breeze dropped away from her. It was still visible in the aspens on either side of the road, but near her, there was nothing. She had only a moment to wonder about this.

Jonathan walked down the abandoned road toward the bridge. He hadn’t planned the direction, but he knew he didn’t want to be in that house right now. It was hard enough to breathe outside. He finished the Coke and started to fast pitch the empty. What he saw a hundred yards away caused the bottle to slip from his hand.

12-07-2014, 07:17 PM
At first Jonathan thought he was losing his vision, and then the idea of hallucinations flashed through his mind. He dismissed both within the span of a single heartbeat, and concentrated on what he was seeing. Abby was standing in the middle of the bridge; a bridge that was not suppose to be there. No, she wasn't standing, he thought. She's walking. He tried to shout her name, and found that he could not. He did the only thing he could do; he ran to stop her.

Abby felt electricity lifting her hair. There was nothing strange about the road she was walking on; it looked just like it always looked. She could see the other side of the bridge, and wondered how it had been repaired so quickly. She was just standing on the broken edge a moment ago, wasn't she? Or was it last week? She couldn't remember now. She was nearing the other side.

Jonathan ran. His heart felt as if it would explode from the huge amount of adrenalin that his body was dumping into his system. He pushed his legs as fast as they could move, and willed them to go faster. He knew somehow that he had to stop her from reaching the other side. He tried again to shout for her, to turn her around, but it was as if something were squeezing his throat, preventing it.

Abby reached the end of the bridge and paused. Something was wrong; something she could not figure out. She didn't feel that she was in any danger, in fact she realized that she felt wonderful. She saw the line that marked the end of the bridge, and the beginning of the road beyond it.

Jonathan was nearly there. A few more steps and he would reach the bridge. Abby was stopped at the other end. He shook his head and tried to form the word that meant her name. All that came to mind was, no – and he found his voice with a screaming of that word.

Abby jumped as if startled. She heard something far away, as if someone had shouted something. She could not imagine who would be shouting at her, she tilted her head to one side and said, “Hmm, oh well”– and stepped over.

12-10-2014, 05:53 PM
Jonathan watched Abby take the final step off the bridge and onto the road on the other side. The air seemed to shimmer around her; a halo of heated air that pulled her forward. She stepped through the ring as he screamed her name – and she was gone. He was running full-out until he realized the bridge center was once more collapsed; gone.

Vll
Jonathan woke in a cold sweat. The sun had nearly hidden itself and he shivered. His back hurt, and his left arm was numb from the position it was in as he slept. He sat up on the swing and rubbed the feeling back into his arm.

“Numb,” he said out loud. “That's what I am going to be.” He stood and stretched his back, catching the last rays of sunlight over the top of the parts warehouse across the street. He stood until the light faded, leaving his face in gray shadow.
“Like hell I will.” He went inside to get ready for the following day.

“I’ll stay here for as long as it takes, but you will tell me what is going on.” Bill stared at the broken bridge and fumbled with the carved walking stick.
“Tell me!” Jonathan demanded. The old man winced at the shout and shook his gray head.

“It can kill you, son. Don’t you understand? It can kill you!”

Jonathan snatched the walking stick out of a bony hand. “Enough,” the younger man said, more softly now. He stared unblinking at the old man. Bill withered under that stare.

“She is – was my wife, Missy. She was unhappy here and I knew it. I kept thinking that things would change. They changed, alright.” He sobbed and removed his battered hat. Jonathan could only watch. "She took the step, John. She spoke the words and then she stepped across.”

Jonathan felt as if he were falling; his stomach rushing into his chest. “Stepped across,” he said. “Like Abby.” Bill nodded. Jonathan sat down on the broken road. His arms rested upon his crossed legs, and he stared across the void of the collapsed span. “When do you talk to your wife?”
As the old man gave him everything, Jonathan listened and formed his plan.

“I know you’re not gonna’ listen, but son this is a mistake.”

“It’s better than sitting here for years doing nothing.” Jonathan regretted saying it the moment it was said. Bill looked lost; crushed. “I’m sorry – I didn’t mean it to sound like that.”

“It’s okay. You’re right, and I know it. I just-“

“You just stayed close to her no matter what, that’s what you did.”

The old man nodded and sort of smiled. “Yeah, I suppose I did. I wish –“Jonathan held his hand up to stop the old man from carrying through with what he was about to say.

“Boy – that would have thrown a wrench into, wouldn’t it? I was just going to mention that you are a brave man, John.”

“Yeah, be careful what you wish for.” Jonathan winked.

“Volo diligenter,” Bill said quietly. “Damn right.”

12-10-2014, 07:30 PM
Jonathan concentrated on Abby. He pictured her face, her hair, the small freckle on the back of her left ear. He saw the clear nail polish on her fingertips, her one dimpled cheek when she gave her full smile. “Abby,” he whispered. “Abby – I'm here.”

Bill shifted uneasily, sensing the change.

“Abby...” Jonathan frowned in concentration. He tasted her lips, smelled the clove gum and baby shampoo. It was almost as if– “Bill, I can smell her,” he whispered.

“Dear God.” Bill crossed himself and lowered his head.

Jonathan slowly opened his eyes. He saw the bridge and the collapsed span, and nothing more. He stood and inhaled, closing his eyes again. “Abby, please talk to me.”

“Jonathan.”

He nearly fell over backwards. “Abby? It's me Abby – it's me.” He nearly lost control. He cried and shook with excitement and the strangeness of it.

“Jonathan, you can't be here. You can't be here! You have to go away from here!”

He reached out, hoping that he could feel her. He could see nothing. The voice was as clear as it would be if she were standing directly in front of him. “Are you alright? Are you hurt?”

“Jonathan–“

“Abby!” He stood at the break in the bridge, shaking with anger and fear and anguish. He turned to Bill and nodded. He pictured Abby, said the words, and took the first step onto the wish bridge.