Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
The Boy on the Ray DEE Oh
01-06-2015, 09:13 AM
The Boy on the Ray DEE Oh
Did anyone else catch our generous host on the radio this morning? NPR is doing stories on drummers this week and he was featured today (Tuesday). It was very well done. Such a humble lad...
One can listen to and/or read it on their site.

You go now!

"I don't cook; I prepare things." My late brother Bill
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-07-2015, 12:34 AM
RE: The Boy on the Ray DEE Oh
WHUT? You mean to say our proprietor has been shirkin' his cheffin' responsibilities?! Sacrebleu! Tongue

Blah blah blah....yada yada yada!
01-07-2015, 09:16 AM
Yes! No mention at all of his culinary skills. But they did mention his writing of lyrics and books. Even though most subjects covered had been visited before in previous interviews/films, it really was an insightful interview, especially, the tone and enthusiasm in his voice was priceless.

01-07-2015, 06:11 PM
Really! Can't believe I missed it.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-08-2015, 09:38 AM
My hunch is that many missed it, hence the post.

Yesterday was Cuban drumming. Today was Zakir Hussain. I was transfixed listening to him. They covered his upbringing by his legendary father and how Zakir came to play with so many Western artists (Harrison, the Dead, etc.)

I feel that Z is the finest living percussionist. His work with John McGlaughlin's Shakti is sublime. I have been lucky to see him many of times. But seeing his father (Ustad Allah Rakha) play with Ravi back in 1983 really set the hook for me. Since then, I have had even more appreciation for Z because when he plays I hear and see his father.

01-09-2015, 11:33 AM
...and just to be complete, today (the last day of the 5 reports) the subject was Bobbye Hall, the great percussionist that has been on hundreds of songs over the years. She did her first session when she was eleven. Yes, 11 years old! It was another fascinating interview and it was great that they included a woman in the mix.

Again, all of the stories are available on the NPR website.

01-10-2015, 09:47 AM
(01-06-2015 09:13 AM)Nung Wrote:  Did anyone else catch our generous host on the radio this morning? NPR is doing stories on drummers this week and he was featured today (Tuesday). It was very well done. Such a humble lad...

You go now!

Thanks for the heads up, it's nice to hear some prog-rock representation on there. Tip o the hat to Steve Inskeep.

"Listen...Jump on a moonbeam and rise, ride it, glide it all the way"
01-10-2015, 10:48 AM
(01-10-2015 09:47 AM)Markus Awreallyus Wrote:  
(01-06-2015 09:13 AM)Nung Wrote:  Did anyone else catch our generous host on the radio this morning? NPR is doing stories on drummers this week and he was featured today (Tuesday). It was very well done. Such a humble lad...

You go now!

Thanks for the heads up, it's nice to hear some prog-rock representation on there. Tip o the hat to Steve Inskeep.

I think of NPR and I think government. Whoever is in control, runs the government sponsored entities Smile I cling to something someone told me a long time ago "my mind is not for rent, to any god or government" but I wish I would have caught that sage drummer you're talking about.

Trying to save the day for the Old World Man!
[Image: avatar_7108.jpg?dateline=1535034322]
01-10-2015, 11:27 AM
(01-10-2015 09:47 AM)Markus Awreallyus Wrote:  Thanks for the heads up, it's nice to hear some prog-rock representation on there. Tip o the hat to Steve Inskeep.

Fun fact: Steve Inskeep is a cousin to a friend of mine Blush Met him at said-friend's wedding...super noice guy!

Blah blah blah....yada yada yada!
01-11-2015, 10:29 AM
(01-10-2015 11:27 AM)burma.girl Wrote:  
(01-10-2015 09:47 AM)Markus Awreallyus Wrote:  Thanks for the heads up, it's nice to hear some prog-rock representation on there. Tip o the hat to Steve Inskeep.

Fun fact: Steve Inskeep is a cousin to a friend of mine Blush Met him at said-friend's wedding...super noice guy!

Smile

"Listen...Jump on a moonbeam and rise, ride it, glide it all the way"