Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Flying J Restaurant-La Grande Oregon
05-01-2010, 01:35 AM
Flying J Restaurant-La Grande Oregon
Yes, another "truck stop" restaurant. Again, I allow myself one large, high calorie meal a week. If one feels they need to over indulge, this is the place to eat the "Chicken Fried Steak". Just be sure not to operate heavy machinery after consuming it.

Take Exit 265 off I-84.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-01-2010, 10:21 AM
RE: Flying J Restaurant-La Grande Oregon
Rather than opening a new thread for every "joint' perhaps they could all be included in a single post? keeps it from getting out of control?

Sacred cows make the best hamburgers.

I bought a doughnut and they gave me a receipt for the doughtnut... I don't need a receipt for the doughnut. I give you money and you give me the doughnut, end of transaction. We don't need to bring ink and paper into this. I can't imagine a scenario that I would have to prove that I bought a doughnut. To some skeptical friend, 'Don't even act like I didn't get that doughnut, I've got the documentation right here... It's in my file at home. ...Under "D".'
05-01-2010, 07:24 PM
Yes, I do deserve a reprimand/warning letter. My sincere apologies.Confused
05-02-2010, 08:57 AM
(05-01-2010 07:24 PM)browndriver Wrote:  Yes, I do deserve a reprimand/warning letter. My sincere apologies.Confused

No Way! Riding the learning curve. Warnings are Spike's department and he's hardly been earning the big bucks we pay him....And for that Bubba and Brutus are thankful.
05-05-2010, 09:28 PM (This post was last modified: 05-05-2010 09:34 PM by browndriver.)
Ok. The following is my revised Greasy Spoon/Diners/etc. review. Moving from east to west along I-84 in Southern Idaho/Eastern Oregon (and other places).

1. Ziggy's and Stinker Station Exit 137 Bliss, Idaho.

Every Friday night, I drop the high fiber,carrot stick, playing card deck size of meat diet, and order a "Ziggy Burger". They are open 24 hours. http://www.ziggysexpress.com/ If you must rest for the night, don't do it across the street from Ziggy's. There is a Union Pacific railroad main line within 1/4 mile, and you will be awoken to the loud sound of a train. For that reason, I suggest the following location:

The Stinker Station Truck Stop has a large, quiet, dark parking lot. Perfect for parking a bus, RV, and camper without all the noise of the typical truck stop. (there are no RV "hookups") I recommend the 2 for $1.00 hot dogs that have been rolling on the cooker for hours. http://www.stinker.com/DlgDir.aspx?s=39

2. Snow Bunny Drive In-Hailey, Idaho.
If traveling north on Idaho 75, The Snow Bunny Drive In is located on the north side of the highway. I suggest the "Snow Bunny Burger". The fries and shakes are the tops.

3. The Red Neck Cafe- Exit 327 Durkee, Oregon
I heard this place is good from my fellow employees. I have never ate there. Rumor/legend "has it" at one time they had cook who "spatulas lost their shine" (he died). The other employee, not knowing what to do, put him in the cooler until the coroner showed up. It's a good place, just because of the rumor.

4. North Powder Cafe -Exit 285 North Powder, Oregon
Once crossing the 45th Parallel (traveling W. on I-84), or just before crossing the 45th (traveling E. On I-84), it's another family operated truck stop/cafe.

5. Old Basque Inn-Hwy 95 Jordan Valley, Oregon
If you must travel Hwy 95 (many do from California, and Nevada to the N.W. U.S. or vice versa) Don't blow off Jordan Valley as one of those small, cattle towns that need to be passed through, just to get to your destination. http://www.cityofjordanvalley.com/id7.html
There is a lot of Basque history in this small town, and in this part of the Western U.S.
The Old Basque Inn is a restaurant located in an old boarding house. I've eaten many dishes there- from Basque cabbage soup to grilled meats, and chorizo. Across the street there is a Pelota Frontone.

I mentioned the Flying J, so I will spare the details. Just typing this reminds me why I have to be on the "high fiber, carrot stick, playing card size meat portion diet". Oh well, enjoy.