Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Risotto anyone?
02-18-2015, 11:34 AM
Risotto anyone?
I think the only Risotto thread we have had was a recipe for risotto with shrimp but it only got one reply. But of course, the stuff is very popular with people, especially at restaurants.

I make a standard mushroom risotto and I often wonder about tricks and techniques. Of course we all know it is a stir-stir-stir thing but my main interest is cooking time. Almost every recipe says it will take 20 mins of cooking. But mine always takes close to double that before the rice is done (and I don't mean overdone). And of course, hand in hand with that is that it takes more liquid than the recipe calls for. Have you all experienced this?

And what tips or cool touches do you do? What wine do you prefer for the dish? Come on kids, hand over the SECRETS!

...and keep stirring

"I don't cook; I prepare things." My late brother Bill
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-18-2015, 12:48 PM
RE: Risotto anyone?
I was taught to par boil the arborio for 10min stirring constantly...drain...allow to dry on kitchen towel...then continue the risotto process as per usual.

That should solve the issues you've outlined.Smile

To ask why we cook is to ask why the leaves fall...
02-18-2015, 12:50 PM
(02-18-2015 12:48 PM)Sunset Wrote:  I was taught to par boil the arborio for 10min stirring constantly...drain...allow to dry on kitchen towel...then continue the risotto process as per usual.

That should solve the issues you've outlined.Smile

Wow...that is fascinating. It makes sense. Thanks so much for that tip!

02-19-2015, 04:17 PM
Dutch oven? You can sauté the rice a bit with shallots/ onions in olive oil until a bit golden but you don't have to, it does add flavor, add your favorite herbs and some wine till absorbed, add 4 cups warm broth per 1.5 cups rice. Cover and Bake in 350 convection, or 400 conventional oven for 30 minutes. Check and stir. If adding shrimp nows the time. Bake another ten mins till shrimp are pink and rice is creamy and tender. Stir in some more warm stock if needed along with your sauteed shrooms, Asiago-Parmesan, scallions, peas etc. Tongue there are a lot of variations but baking can be very consistent and hands free.

"Listen...Jump on a moonbeam and rise, ride it, glide it all the way"
02-19-2015, 04:31 PM
(02-19-2015 04:17 PM)Markus Awreallyus Wrote:  Dutch oven? You can sauté the rice a bit with shallots/ onions in olive oil until a bit golden but you don't have to, it does add flavor, add your favorite herbs and some wine till absorbed, add 4 cups warm broth per 1.5 cups rice. Cover and Bake in 350 convection, or 400 conventional oven for 30 minutes. Check and stir. If adding shrimp nows the time. Bake another ten mins till shrimp are pink and rice is creamy and tender. Stir in some more warm stock if needed along with your sauteed shrooms, Asiago-Parmesan, scallions, peas etc. Tongue there are a lot of variations but baking can be very consistent and hands free.

Wow! A great option there! This approach frees up the chef to actually concentrate on the other dishes on the menu instead of being focused on stirring.

Thank you!

02-27-2015, 01:39 PM
Of course nothing wrong with the options given. But a risotto's main characteristics is the slow absorpsion of liquids and whatever is being used to flavor the rice. This is what makes the risotto so delicious. So I would not recommend the par boil method as the grains will absorb a large majority of water. For cooking time and amount of liquids used and having done the same , I would have to say that you are probably using too large of a cooking surface and/or are using a little too much heat. Of course if you talk to a purist, stove top is the only method. As for wine, white, you can use anything that you drink and say ''yum-yum'' to. Do not use a cheap un-drinkable type, it will ruin your dish, this should apply to all dishes that call for wine. Of course you do not have to use your most expenive. Would you use inferior meat cuts, veggies or products, same applies to wine. If you like your recipe, continue with it, if you would like to experiment with a different one, let me know, I will post mine.
02-27-2015, 02:14 PM
Holy ****...look what the cat dragged in!Big Grin

The par boil thing was passed to me by a restaurant chef, so it doesn't surprise me a bit that this method would be geared for speed and efficient use of time rather than an outright flavor priority.

Good to see you back mon frere...

To ask why we cook is to ask why the leaves fall...
02-27-2015, 06:36 PM
LTC! Where you been hiding????

If I'd known you were French, I'd have worn galoshes...
02-28-2015, 09:42 AM
Hey, I missed you guys also... Time is flying, too much travel (I mean way too much) for work, too much paperwork and everyting else. Just seems that I cannot see the light at the end of the tunnel, it just blows me away, no time for anything but work. All this, when I should be slowing down and ''amusing'' myself like cooking, tasting, sipping wines and other fine beverages and burning cigars. I know, I should not have any excuses of such! And with this endless cold period of the year called winter that is way colder that normal. I must admit that I am finding it somewhat difficult (a first) this year, lot's of comfort food and all the weight that I lost must be back on....Big Grin
03-01-2015, 12:46 PM
Good to see you back LTC! It's always nice to see what discussions on foods you and Sunset have.

"... always throw spilt salt over your left shoulder, keep rosemary by your garden gate, plant lavender for luck, and fall in love whenever you can..." Practical Magic