Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Cleaning canned chickpeas(garbanzo beans)
02-27-2015, 08:14 PM
Cleaning canned chickpeas(garbanzo beans)
As I made my favorite chickpea salad with canned chickpeas(garbanzo beans) this evening, I thought, there has to be a better way to get the skins off of them than handling each chickpea individually.
I would use chickpeas more often(like for making my own hummus) if I could find a faster way to clean them. What works for you?

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-28-2015, 05:22 PM
RE: Cleaning canned chickpeas(garbanzo beans)
Hubby suggests buying dried chick peas and rehydrating them. You don't need to skin them....

If I'd known you were French, I'd have worn galoshes...
02-28-2015, 06:15 PM
Thanks for the tip, but I usually have a can in the cupboard, and little time to cook when I decide to make the salad.

02-28-2015, 06:58 PM
Why are the skins undesirable?

To ask why we cook is to ask why the leaves fall...
02-28-2015, 08:21 PM
The recipe says to take them off. I guess they don't do much for the texture of the salad.

03-04-2015, 12:48 PM
I never skin them for my favorite chick peas recipe (Indian): saute them in ghee with chili powder, turmeric, and cumin. Yummy!

"I don't cook; I prepare things." My late brother Bill
03-05-2015, 02:00 PM
I've used garbanzos pretty extensively(fritters-hummus-sautes) and never skinned 'em. It may make a small textural difference, but imo probably not enough to justify the extreme PIA of skinning each pea.

Of course, your mileage may vary...

To ask why we cook is to ask why the leaves fall...
03-05-2015, 09:21 PM (This post was last modified: 03-05-2015 09:25 PM by LiveToCook.)
This will not make you happy... There is no miracle way of doing this other than doing them one by one. A chef I know, he is originaly from Morocco and he says that they were doing this one by one when he was a kid and he still does it today in industrial quantities when he cooks Moroccan for us at home. (This is probably the reason why he has a French restaurant and does not do MoroccanBig Grin). He says to his knowledge there is nothing out there that will do it faster or in a mechanized fashion.
03-05-2015, 09:58 PM
(03-05-2015 09:21 PM)LiveToCook Wrote:  This will not make you happy... There is no miracle way of doing this other than doing them one by one. A chef I know, he is originaly from Morocco and he says that they were doing this one by one when he was a kid and he still does it today in industrial quantities when he cooks Moroccan for us at home. (This is probably the reason why he has a French restaurant and does not do MoroccanBig Grin). He says to his knowledge there is nothing out there that will do it faster or in a mechanized fashion.

Thanks LTC.
I guess I'll have to work on that and let the world know the new easy way. Big Grin