Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Lagavulin :-)
03-07-2015, 01:19 PM
Lagavulin :-)
Hi guys and girls. While living here in Germany,I stumbled across a real treat. Lagavulin! It's a smoky,peated whiskey that when paired with a side of Indian tonic water,might make you skip dessert!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-09-2015, 05:24 PM
RE: Lagavulin :-)
(03-07-2015 01:19 PM)The Red Rajah Wrote:  Hi guys and girls. While living here in Germany,I stumbled across a real treat. Lagavulin! It's a smoky,peated whiskey that when paired with a side of Indian tonic water,might make you skip dessert!

Smoky and peaty. That is a wee understatement! It is fine stuff but usually too strong on the peat for me in most situations. But I believe it is one of the highest-rated peaty drams.

I bet you get some great things there that we never see in the States.

"I don't cook; I prepare things." My late brother Bill
03-24-2015, 01:54 PM
(03-07-2015 01:19 PM)The Red Rajah Wrote:  Hi guys and girls. While living here in Germany,I stumbled across a real treat. Lagavulin! It's a smoky,peated whiskey that when paired with a side of Indian tonic water,might make you skip dessert!

I'm very enamored of Lagavulin when wanting a peaty dram. A less peaty alternative is Ardbeg, known fondly as the "Gentle Giant".

I jumped the cliff with a dream to fly
Without knowing the weight of feathers
03-24-2015, 02:07 PM
Very true.

And i had a glass of Talisker 10 the other night...I think it is the perfect balance of peat...and without too much "smoke."

03-24-2015, 03:03 PM
(03-24-2015 02:07 PM)Nung Wrote:  Very true.

And i had a glass of Talisker 10 the other night...I think it is the perfect balance of peat...and without too much "smoke."

Yes!! I'm a huge fan. And it's pretty easy on the ol' wallet, too. Talisker also happens to be made on the Isle of Skye where my dog's breed, Cairn Terrier, originates from. A working farm dog, their coat is thick and course to protect them from the elements as well as the scraggly rock outcroppings (Cairns) while ferreting out rodents.

I jumped the cliff with a dream to fly
Without knowing the weight of feathers
03-25-2015, 11:55 AM
(03-24-2015 03:03 PM)dheafey Wrote:  
(03-24-2015 02:07 PM)Nung Wrote:  Very true.

Yes!! I'm a huge fan. And it's pretty easy on the ol' wallet, too. Talisker also happens to be made on the Isle of Skye where my dog's breed, Cairn Terrier, originates from. A working farm dog, their coat is thick and course to protect them from the elements as well as the scraggly rock outcroppings (Cairns) while ferreting out rodents.

Fascinating! But it is not easy on the wallet here which is why it currently is not in my cabinet (for the same price there are much more tempting drams).

(I looked up Cairn terriers...they look sharp!
And my wee one is also Scottish...our Shetland Sheepdog is a sweetie.)

Speaking of the Isle of Skye...I always have Drambuie in my cabinet. Yum cha!

05-25-2015, 11:04 PM (This post was last modified: 05-25-2015 11:05 PM by SpaceCadet.)
Rajah, if you like Lagavulin (to me it's the ultimate Scotch - just a great, balanced mix of subtlety, intensity and richness,) then try to get your hands on Ardbeg's Uigeadail. That's the first malt I've tasted that has the same kind of complexity, the same smoky peat flavor (which has become a must for me,) and at roughly ten bucks cheaper.

If you like the peat but want to try something a little lighter and delicate of flavor, go for Caol Ila 12 yr.

'Gonna have to get to Islay one fine day, because there's clearly something in that water.

"Waiter...can you stop that noise? What you call 'music.' It sounds like dirty water. How can they eat food - and listen to ****?"
- Sabina (Lena Olin) in The Unbearable Lightness of Being
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user