Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Costillas de puerco en salsa verde...
03-16-2015, 02:07 PM
Costillas de puerco en salsa verde...
A very sweet lady brings a big pot of this to the office once a month or so. She makes the BEST costillas on this, or any other planet...bar none.

But I was home and she wasn't around. So I had to settle for second best costillas on this, or any other planet. Mine.Tongue

Fire roasted tomatillos(1.5lb), pasillas(2), and jalapeno(2 with seeds and veins). Cilantro(1 bunch), and 6 garlic gloves. Put a light blend on 'em. But not too much...
[Image: food384_zpsir7cyuef.jpg]

Have your butcher halve a rack of babybacks right up the center. Then saute in small batches...browning on all sides...
[Image: food387_zpsjwxx0drt.jpg]

Remove all but 2TBS oil and saute 2 yellow onions and as much garlic as you like(I like a whole bulbs worth) until just translucent. Then add ribs&juices, 2.5C chicken stock, and pepper puree. Isn't that gorgeous?!?!?
[Image: food386_zps888tvz3n.jpg]

Season with salt/pepper, lime juice, and just the tiniest pinch of clove. And I mean seriously tiny. Just a little too much ruins the whole thing. Bring to boil then simmer lidless low and slow until thick, rich, and ridiculously tender...about 3-4 hours. Which, of course, gives one an opportunity to throw back 3 or 4 Modelo Negras.Big Grin
[Image: food388_zpsstufv2xw.jpg]

Some folks like to fancy it up by including it in burritos, egg dishes and such. This sacrilege and abomination is to be avoided. Simply fill a deep bowl with this spicy, rich, and decadent mexican soul food...heat up 2 or 3 tortillas de maize...and go to town on that sucker.

To ask why we cook is to ask why the leaves fall...
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-16-2015, 06:35 PM (This post was last modified: 03-16-2015 06:38 PM by Markus Awreallyus.)
RE: Costillas de puerco en salsa verde...
You're killin me, I too would avoid that abomination, although I would probably have a side or two, along with those 8-10, or did you say 2-3 cervezas!

"Listen...Jump on a moonbeam and rise, ride it, glide it all the way"
03-17-2015, 08:26 AM (This post was last modified: 03-17-2015 08:27 AM by LiveToCook.)
Sunset, How true about the traditional cook such as this ''Very Sweet Lady''... I was on a job site many moons ago in Las Vegas, New Mexico and this lady would come around the mill site selling her home made Mexican food... WOW! To this day, I still crave for some of her dishes, this after more than 20 years!!! God only knows how many Mexican restaurants I have tried and believe me other than 1 or 2 that were close, my home style is almost there, but... On a final note, this seems to fall into my; ''LET's EAT!!!'' category, make some more Mr. Artist!!!
03-23-2015, 09:25 PM
Thanks fellas...

Maybe give it a shot? Would be a breeze for culinary wizards such as yourselves...

To ask why we cook is to ask why the leaves fall...