Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
New instrument journey
04-04-2015, 07:37 PM
Wink New instrument journey
I recently took up the bass. I now know two songs. Has anyone else taken up a new instrument?

I'm taking a ride with my best friend...I hope he never lets me down again.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-04-2015, 09:44 PM
RE: New instrument journey
Thinking of trying the tin whistle. I would LOVE to learn the uilleann pipes!
Rock that bass SG!

If I'd known you were French, I'd have worn galoshes...
04-04-2015, 09:50 PM
(04-04-2015 09:44 PM)Gungawoman Wrote:  Thinking of trying the tin whistle. I would LOVE to learn the uilleann pipes!
Rock that bass SG!

Gunga....you learn ANY instrument you want. I am playing bass by reading tablature. I couldn't read note one. I Have the greatest faith you can learn any instrument. JAM ON!!!!!!Smile

04-05-2015, 09:25 AM (This post was last modified: 04-05-2015 09:26 AM by Markus Awreallyus.)
I have been practicing piano, learning some older Beatles tunes. Rock that bass SG!
Recently did a lil song for our granddaughter GW with pan flute, very pretty tone!

"Listen...Jump on a moonbeam and rise, ride it, glide it all the way"
04-05-2015, 05:09 PM
(04-04-2015 09:50 PM)smoker guy Wrote:  
(04-04-2015 09:44 PM)Gungawoman Wrote:  Thinking of trying the tin whistle. I would LOVE to learn the uilleann pipes!
Rock that bass SG!

Gunga....you learn ANY instrument you want. I am playing bass by reading tablature. I couldn't read note one. I Have the greatest faith you can learn any instrument. JAM ON!!!!!!Smile

I actually play several instruments. The one I wish I could play well tho, is keyboards. I just can't wrap my brain around playing 2 different clefs at the same time. I always wished I could play Bach on keyboards....

If I'd known you were French, I'd have worn galoshes...
04-05-2015, 05:11 PM
(04-05-2015 05:09 PM)Gungawoman Wrote:  
(04-04-2015 09:50 PM)smoker guy Wrote:  
Rock that bass SG!

I actually play several instruments. The one I wish I could play well tho, is keyboards. I just can't wrap my brain around playing 2 different clefs at the same time. I always wished I could play Bach on keyboards....
You can do it!!!!!!!Big Grin

04-06-2015, 12:47 AM (This post was last modified: 04-22-2015 02:59 AM by SpaceCadet.)
Finding time to practice is the hard part, harder the more wrapped up with work and other stuff you get, but the biggest mountain I have to climb is the Chapman Stick. I got a 12-string a few years ago and still haven't really dove into it. For the uninitiated, go hunt down a Tony Levin video - Peter Gabriel, Crim, Eros' Tutte Storie album, or just Stick Men - or "Wondering Up And Down" by the '80s prog-jazz-pop band Psy•S - the tune I've picked as my first to try adapting (shut up, Yoda!,) mostly because it's got an excellent melody on top of the bass. (I would be remiss if I didn't link the great vid that tipped me off to the song in the first place, done by Chris Martino, a master at setting travel videos to music - also with much better audio, straight from the "Atlas" album.)

A seriously tough row to hoe though - the Stick is set up backward, upside-down and inside-out from the guitar, so I'll be needing to burn a few million new synapses. It was either that or Rurutia's super-mellow "Gola" with the treble strings run through a piano patch on the Roland, but I gave up on that one because the behavior of that patch is prohibitively flakey no matter how I set it up, and the vocal melody of that tune is too repetitive for use as an instrumental. The Psy•S melody "goes places," as my classic-jazz-steeped Dad would say.

I snagged a Saw-Ou at a temple in Ayutthaya a long time ago too, but haven't had (or made) the time to do anything with it besides annoy cats and birds. One day I plan on putting a piezo pickup in there and running it through a wah and a gnarly amp and maybe a ring modulator. Played properly and non-perverted by American Belew disciples, it's supposed to sound like this, though I think this guy's using the Chinese model, which has a slightly different headstock.

"Waiter...can you stop that noise? What you call 'music.' It sounds like dirty water. How can they eat food - and listen to ****?"
- Sabina (Lena Olin) in The Unbearable Lightness of Being
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-13-2015, 03:06 PM
I am constantly learning a new instrument...because I try to play almost everything! That means I am equally bad at everything because i am spread way too thin but i like the "contact" of trying so many different instruments. I fancy myself a composer so of course I need to know a bit about the instruments I want to write for. But keys, flutes and drums are my main instruments.

Gungawoman: you CAN do it! Many of us are familiar with the treble clef so the right hand is easy but like you, i am slow with the bass clef. I just cheat a bit at times and write out some of the note names on my sheet music so that I can play NOW and learn the bass clef a bit as I go. Start with easy Bach an move out. And play at a slow tempo. Not only is it easier but you learn it better too.

"I don't cook; I prepare things." My late brother Bill
05-24-2015, 07:09 PM
Me fooling around today. But of a mess up near the end of the song. http://youtu.be/QUbKRRkQ_Cc

01-03-2016, 01:30 AM (This post was last modified: 01-03-2016 01:31 AM by smoker guy.)
The newest song I learned on my new bass...

https://youtu.be/r-14_kEywuEd