Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Slow Cooker
06-04-2015, 10:00 PM
Slow Cooker
My mom hooked me up with a killer Crock Pot for Mother's Day. I used it for the first time today on a recipe that might freak some of you out.: I made a chicken gizzard and heart veggie stew served over white rice. Gizzards and hearts usually are pretty tough but this recipe makes them tender as can be.

2 packs of chicken gizzards and hearts
1 medium onion chopped
1 green pepper chopped
1 small zucchini cut into small squares
4 baby portobella mushrooms slicedCool
1/2 cup of tomato sauce (like marinara)
2 cups - chicken stock
1 bay leaf
1 tsp tarragon
1 tsp thyme
1 clove garlic
butter
pepper and salt to taste
1/2 cup wine
slow cooker
white rice

Cut off all the white chewy bits off the gizzards and cut into small cubes and sautee in butter and garlic till brown - set to the side. Sautee chicken hearts in butter till brown and add chopped onions and green pepper, mushrooms and zucchini and cook until veg goes slightly tender. Add in cooked gizzards, wine, stock, herbs and salt and pepper. Move stew into the slow cooker. Slam that puppy closed and cook on high for 3 hours. Follow directors on the bag of white rice and when that is done, serve it with the stew poured on top of the rice (some people even throw rice in with the stew while cooking). Delicious and cheap.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-05-2015, 07:34 AM
RE: Slow Cooker
That sounds delicious, gizzards and hearts are waaaay underutilized in this country.

Thanks for sharing...

To ask why we cook is to ask why the leaves fall...
12-07-2015, 10:57 AM
RE: Slow Cooker
I am a huge fan of my slow cookers (1 at the house and 1 at the cottage).
I usually prepare a nice bean (chickpea and lentils) soup for the weeks lunches throwing in a bit of meat (diced slab bacon, leftover steak, ground venison or whatever else might be a leftover) and some freshly ground black pepper. I package the soup in glass (Anchor Hocking) containers with red plastic lids which then get frozen. I take 1 out each evening to thaw and heat it up in the morning (5:00 am) before transferring it to a stainless steel food thermos for my lunch.
I don't get to enjoy chicken hearts, gizzards or livers very often because Katherine won't eat them and would prefer not to prepare them for me. I usually make them for myself in a curry stir fry when she is not around or up at the cottage when I am alone. I think I'll try the slow cooker route with them sometime this winter.
A slow cooker has comfort food written all over it if you ask me. Now if I could just get my chili and chili con carne recipes right using the slow cooker I would be happy.

John H.
Hamilton, Ontario