Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Rums of the World
07-16-2015, 08:45 AM
Rums of the World
Having done some ''babbling'' on rums in the thread ''Havana as a Hideout'', I think that a repeat in a more specific thread is in order...
I have copied some of the write-ups and of course this thread is basically to be able to get feed back from all. Of course my main reason is simple, with the prices of whiskies (Scotch & Bourbon) going up all the time, at least for us up in Canada. It was somewhat circumstantial that I made to discovery of a beautiful complex beverage. In the past I had the chance to try some interesting rums but never to the point of me saying ''WOW'', there is something here.
As many of you probably know, rum is made anywhere that sugar cane grows, so it is a large Spectrum of countries that do produce.
Following is a chapter that I wrote on the above menioned thread;
----When it comes to rum, I am getting impressive tastings in more and more. Just received a 23 years old from Guatemala, Ron Zacapa. This rum is phenomenal and the cost for a 23 years old is simply cheap vs. Scotch at about 80$ can. This rum evolves in a great way with time in the glass (I use sniffter). It just gets better and better with rich creamy caramel tastes and odors. While in Havana back in November, my favorite chef-owner at the San Cristobal made me tatse a rum that is a rare, specially made product for the high level government people such as the Castros. This was an absolute delight that I would place in front of many of the high grade and of course very expensive malt liquors. Carlos, the chef, also offered me a gift after my 4th meal in his establishment (our last night in Havana), a rum made up of a production of 3000 bottles per year. This rum is basically made for the ''Habanos Festival'' which is the major cigar festival in Cuba. Of course, this is another of the precious liquids that cannot be bought on the market due to its small production. But as a general rule, the higher end rums, it does not matter where they are from, are simply delicious and typically cheap vs. higher end whiskies. It would also seem that high end rums are increasingly popular in the US, Europe, Asia and Canada. Just like many of the other liquors such as Bourbon, Gin, Vodka, et al. Rum producers are now producing very old and special products. One of the most expensive rums in the world being the ''Maximo'' from Havana Club at 1700 CUC (1700 $US) for 500 ml (18 onces). Unfortunately, I have not had the chance of sampling this but according to the ''experts'' it would seem to be la crème de la crème. So, Sunshine, if you have a friend that is raving about these brews and is offering a tasting, go for it. Not everything in the rum world is created equal to the low end Bacardi, Captain Morgan and so on, just like lower end Scotch that is more like a solvent for cleaning parts in your garage.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-16-2015, 11:43 AM
RE: Rums of the World
Good idea!
There are many countries that produce rum and each one can have many different producers and thus, styles. It can be a bit baffling because of all the different styles but it is worth the effort. I have Ron Zacapa as well as few others. The Zacapa is quite good and many cite it as their favorite. I'll have to look at mine and tell you my favorites.

"I don't cook; I prepare things." My late brother Bill
07-17-2015, 08:52 PM
(07-16-2015 11:43 AM)Nung Wrote:  Good idea!
There are many countries that produce rum and each one can have many different producers and thus, styles. It can be a bit baffling because of all the different styles but it is worth the effort. I have Ron Zacapa as well as few others. The Zacapa is quite good and many cite it as their favorite. I'll have to look at mine and tell you my favorites.
Great, looking forward to your feedback.
07-20-2015, 01:57 PM
Excellent topic!

As you know, I've been eyeballing the various rums available to me lately(Zacapa being one), but have as yet only purchased the Venezuelan. As I begin to move forward through the category I'll post my observation....hopefully without sounding like a rum bore.Blush

To ask why we cook is to ask why the leaves fall...
07-26-2015, 06:57 PM
Always been drawn to this tropical elixir. Appleton left its mark on me many years ago, and I still love the 12 year. I want to sample the 21, but I'm ... thrifty.

Most of us are so caught up in life that we forget to live it.
07-27-2015, 08:55 AM
Ditto, Mufasa.
Appleton is solid.

"I don't cook; I prepare things." My late brother Bill
07-27-2015, 10:30 PM
I am partial to the rums of Central America, and Guyana. I recently acquired two bottles of Dictador XO Insolent for sipping and I highly recommend it for those who prefer rum of a molasses style. It is 'up there' in price, but hey, you only live once.

Another favorite is the El Dorado line of rums. Their 15 year old rum is a decent bang for the buck.
08-02-2015, 10:46 PM
Morpheus, yes, Dictator line is very nice, the XO from Columbia (Canada 180$) is excellent and the Ambassador from Venezuela is also excellent and much more expensive(270$can). The 15 from El Dorado is certainly good for the price and again this one has its own touch. Tried the 21 face to face with the 15 and the 15 in my book was better to my taste. One I recently had was the El Dorado Single Barrel Demerara, which again was very different from the regular line and greatly enjoyed.
The Zacapa 23 in my book and for the $$ is great, the interesting thing about this rum is the time spent in a glass, I enjoy snifters, it will evolve grandly with time. After 30 minutes and an hour makes it absolutely beautiful... Give it a try, and this I can say that the majority will do this just like wine and scotch.