Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Campfire Cooking
09-25-2015, 12:20 AM
Campfire Cooking
Last year we bought the entire set up for campfire cooking. It included one section with various sets hooks on which you could hang a dutch oven. A swing grill, that you can swing both over and away from the fire, and a stainless steel spit for roasting. We have used it once, using the swing grill and the spit. I can't wait to try the dutch oven sometime - maybe to whip up a pot of fresh venison stew this fall. It just adds another dimension to cooking, not to mention being good if you happen to be without power for several days. which has happened to us twice since we have lived here due to adverse weather conditions. So next time that happens, we can cook just as good outdoors over an open fire. One power outage was during a severe ice storm in the winter. Luckily we had a wood burning stove, on which we cooked. I used my pressure cooker to cook up a large pot of soup beans during that mess. No matter what happens, you still gotta eat.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-25-2015, 02:24 PM
RE: Campfire Cooking
I enjoy cooking with cast iron. When we would camp that was half the fun of making something in the Dutch ovens. Everything from breakfast based things to soups/stews, roasts, breads of many types and always a dessert.
More than once fellow campers at the places we camped at would slowly go by our spot or even ask what smelled so good.

"... always throw spilt salt over your left shoulder, keep rosemary by your garden gate, plant lavender for luck, and fall in love whenever you can..." Practical Magic
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply