Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Electric Kettle...but accurate!
02-06-2017, 05:39 PM
Electric Kettle...but accurate!
...It is as easy as boiling water!

That phrase or versions of it have often been used to indicate a simple task. But what about the more subtle aspects of hot water? Sure, when you truly need boiling water we all know how to do it. But what if you need hot water at a very specific temperature? I guess we could stick a candy thermometer in the water and "watch the pot" until the correct temp is reached. Sounds like a pain to me though.

Recently we purchased a new electric kettle because we realized our old unit was made of plastic (we were concerned about health issues with plastic). A friend recommended a fancy Cuisinart unit and we did end up getting it. The cool thing about it is that it has four separate temperature settings for various types of teas, one setting for French Press coffee (200 deg), and a full boil. It also has a keep warm feature so if one of us is up early and want the water to be ready when the other wakes up, it is a cinch. As well, if one was cooking and needed a steady source of water at a specific temperature it would be helpful.

The idea of course is that the most delicate teas need a lower brew temp, other teas are a bit higher, black teas need a full boil, and French Press needs that 200 setting. (The buttons have the various teas listed.)

I do feel that boiling water creates a more bitter coffee so I am very pleased with this new pot and its accurate temps. And I am getting back into some of my nice teas too. Plus, it has a very cool blue glow to boot!

Yes, it is more pricey than the run-of-the-mill kettles but if it helps keep us from buying $5 cups of coffee it pays for itself fairly quickly.

And did I say that it has a very cool blue glow? Wink

So, what say you, Team? What do you use for hot water and for boiling water? Does this sound silly or would you use something like this?

"I don't cook; I prepare things." My late brother Bill
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-07-2017, 08:37 AM
RE: Electric Kettle...but accurate!
I have a very generic kettle that comes to only a full boil. I've often wondered about the fancy ones and if they are truly worth the $$. Judging water temps for tea are always a heat and cool game, so maybe when this one goes the way of the dinosaur I may invest in one of them. Please let us know how it preforms as you use it Nung.

"... always throw spilt salt over your left shoulder, keep rosemary by your garden gate, plant lavender for luck, and fall in love whenever you can..." Practical Magic
02-07-2017, 09:01 AM
RE: Electric Kettle...but accurate!
So far I am very happy with it. It is also faster than our older kettle.

When typing the above I suddenly had a memory of making Earl Grey tea back in my old dorm room (I think the year was 2112); I had one of those immersion heaters which worked quite well until the day it popped out of the cup. I never saw something melt so quickly! Come to think of it, I bet it was aluminum and that certainly could not have been a healthy thing!

"I don't cook; I prepare things." My late brother Bill