Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Well? Who are you?
05-02-2010, 09:58 AM
RE: Well? Who are you?
Hello everybody . Chris here from upstate NY like any kind of food especially like trying new recipes .. Fresh food is the best . Ride a Sport Tour motorcycle Kawasaki Concours .. and always looking for that mom & pop place along the side of the road where the owner does all the cooking. Close enouigh to Quebec to enjoy some "steamies & Poutin " Keep wheels on the ground and your feet on the pegs

"Laisser le bon temps rouler"

"Laisser le bon temps rouler"
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-02-2010, 10:08 AM
Todd from Denver, Colorado (world headquarters of the Anti-Destination League).

Two things I love most in this world besides my wife, her kids and my kids are motorcycles and food. Often I find it difficult to get motivated to cook. I believe it stems from the fact that the wife and kids are meat eaters and I am a vegetarian. I will make a dish that I can throw meat into for the family and yet reserve a portion that is vegetarian for myself. Like alot of folks, the vegetarian lifestyle comes from various health issues. Who knew that Big Macs, Whoppers, fries and shakes 3 times a day would be bad for us. I want to be around to ride and be a dad for a few more years or decades.

I am very glad to be invited to be a part of this forum. Thanks for the opportunity!
05-02-2010, 10:12 AM
Matt, checking in from the Richmond Virginia area. I cook at home now and find it much more enjoyable now that I do not do it for a living!! I am not very good at "healthy" cooking methods so hope to learn some more about the topic while visiting here.

Oh, I have more hobbies than I have free time, so that is unfortunate! Look forward to enjoying the forums.
05-02-2010, 10:56 AM
hello - I'm Rob. I'm currently living in central Illinois but I was born and raised in the beautiful Maryland countryside. I'm a programmer, automating corporate America so I can enjoy my other hobbies cooking, drumming, Jeep'n, and now motorcycling. I recently aspired to the age of 45 and was moved to purchase a bike by my dear friends - better known as my "bad influences". I recently found myself in a Motorsport shop in Decatur Illinois and left with a beautiful ebony Yamaha Star. Now I am a full fledged member of the Scooter Trash Biker's Club of North America. Thanks Neal for the inspiration - when do I get my patch? Has anyone suggested having "Ride to Eat Meet-up" for the members of this forum? What do you think Brutus?

I've been cooking since I was 6. It began one Saturday morning when my tired mother, who was a school teacher, wouldn't get out of bed at 6am to cook a pile of pancakes for my sisters and I. So being the youngest I was ordered to the kitchen to make the pancakes with a side order of beacon for my siblings. Amazingly it didn't end in disaster and from that day forward I was the breakfast chef. That tradition continues every summer when I return home for visits.

These days i like to eat healthy natural foods. No frozen dinners or processed foods for me. I'm not a vegetarian but a few of my "bad influences" are and have made vegetarian meals that are quite tasty if I say so myself.

Anyway, thanks for inviting me to join this forum Brutus. I'm looking forward to reading the other postings and participating and some of the discussions.

Rob
05-02-2010, 11:04 AM (This post was last modified: 05-02-2010 11:05 AM by MichaelS.)
Hello everyone,

Glad this nice eatery is open again. i may have to reduce my tips if you close again...

Just kidding.

Big Grin

Very curious how this is layed out. i'l have to do some exploring.

I'm hailing from the Springfield area in Illinois.
05-02-2010, 11:14 AM
My name's Eric and I hail from Sacramento California. I’m 35 years old with a wonderful wife, but no kids yet. After 16 years at the same job I am currently back in school, hopefully to come out with a degree and a second career that I will truly enjoy. As a bachelor I didn't eat so well, but my wife loves to cook and is a bit of a gourmand, so now I eat much better and I love it!Big Grin I still love my comfort foods (just made some great meatloaf, horseradish mashed-potatoes, and zucchini), but I've expanded my horizons and will give most anything a try. Besides studying I enjoy riding and working on my motorcycles, reading books, and listening to music. I'm looking forward to trying out some of the great recipe's and visiting a few of the destinations listed thus far. Keep it coming!
05-02-2010, 12:29 PM
Hello Everyone. My name is Sharon and I am from a suburb just north of Detroit. I have been married to a great man for 18 years. We have 3 great children. Two out of the three will try anything I make. The third well he'll learn to one day (I hope). I enjoy cooking and baking, but it has taken a backseat to my schooling. I recently returned to school to obtain my master's degree in nursing and become a Nurse Practitioner (as well as working full time).

I love to try new recipes out on the family, as well as making the comfort foods my kids have come to love. I starting baking when I was in middle school, but didn't start to cook until I was married. My husband never complained about my cooking (smart man) when I started out. I figured I must do it right since both families want to come to our house for all of the holidays.

Besides studying I love to read, listen to music, taking road trips and camping.
05-02-2010, 12:59 PM
I'm Dave (user name kind of gives it away). First time ever on a forum, so it's all new to me. I'm a middle-aged Brit living in Dubai away from home in the UK. Home has wonderful wife and 2 daughters, but not me because of the need to be where the work is! Consequently, lots of free time to indulge in own interests (cooking, football, Rush, motorsports (in no particular order of preference) - to name a few.

Love the idea of the forum - seems to be for 'try this' user, rather than the obsessive perfectionist. Much prefer to follow the general idea of a recipe, as against precission. Heston Blumenthal has a lot to answer for.

Looking forward to some interesting food - with a side order of rush - conversations.......hope its a success!
05-02-2010, 01:14 PM
Hello everyone. My name is John, and I live in the Northern Va. area, near Dulles Airport. I work at a well known health and wellness online resource as a Systems Admin/Engineer. I'm recently divorced, and although I do like to cook, I haven't been cooking much lately. I work a lot, and, well, have just been rather down from the divorce and am just kind of struggling with getting back to a "normal" life and feeling whole again. I even managed to wreck and total my Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Classic last year. That was the one thing that enabled me to escape for a while and feel real.

Anywho, enough of my bellyaching. I hope to glean some good ideas from some of the cooks here in the forum. I've found that cooking for one is somewhat challenging...but can be done. I did grow up learning to cook by my mom, so I do know basics, so there's a start. I just need to be consistent with it.

Hobbies: I play bass guitar, guitar, not bad at drums, trumpet, can carry a tune. I also like to make my own music. Groups like Rush (of course), The Who, Cream, Hendrix have had a big influence. Certainly there are some modern bands that have influence on my writing as well. I love cars (especially classic American Muscle Cars) and motorcycles.

Greetings to everyone, and I look forward to being a part of the community here.
05-02-2010, 02:28 PM
Hello Rush fans, food and drink fans, motorcycle fans, Brutus fans, and any other sort of fans that might be hanging around.

My name is Steve, I live in Wisconsin, and I have been a fan of the band since the original album. I have read and enjoyed Bubba's books and his posts on neilpeart.net, and I'm looking forward to the movie!

My wife and I no longer ride motorcycles, but we owned a pair of Harleys for several years on which we took our honeymoon, riding 3000 miles through South Dakota, Wyoming, and Montana. We have a 12 year old son whose first big rock show was the 2007 Snakes and Arrows tour, and he has become as big a fan of the band as his old man. As a former small-time rocker, I'm in the process of teaching him everything I know about playing guitar, and by enthusiastic mutual agreement, that includes a lot of Rush songs.

I'm also the family chef, and I do most of my cooking on a Holland grill that I can't imagine living without.

Finally, I'd like to apologize for not being able to resist a shameless plug for my sci fi - horror novel called Gene Pool. I won't be so presumptuous as to include a link, but I suspect it would be up the alley of a lot of my fellow Rush fans, so I'll just say that it is available as an e-book on Amazon.com's Kindle store. If you're so inclined, you can find more information about it there.

I wish you all happy cooking, eating, and drinking (digital Macallans all around!), and if you're fortunate enough to see the tour and/or movie this summer, have a great time!