Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Well? Who are you?
05-02-2010, 08:59 PM
RE: Well? Who are you?
I'm like my name "TimeOnMyHands" but I also go by Mike.
I live alone with my drums in the suburbs of NY. Up until recently I worked for a defense manufacturer but left on medical leave then got laid off because I could no longer perform my job. eight years down the tubes but I made many good shelter products and heaters and power distribution units for the military . More interesting was my night job playing drums through 2009 for the band (http://www.myspace.com/gelatinousfreakband) playing gigs and rehearsing weekly. In mid-january my health forced my choice to leave the band - much sadder than losing my day job. degenerative disc disease resulted in atrophy in my left deltoid and bicep - drumming is limited but i still play.
I love food and now might finally begin to actually cook - the recipes at Bubba's seem do-able and i have shit-loads of time to begin to learn.
I've been a huge fan of Rush since I was 14 (I am a few weeks from 44 now)seeing Moving Pictures tour May 18th 1981 and nearly every tour since. In more recent years I've enjoyed reading all of Neil's books especially fond of "The Masked Rider" but loved them all. In the early 90's I felt compelled to write to Neil and send some of my writing which I am amazed he saw and sent me me a post card as well as returning tapes - in retrospect I'm a little ashamed that I bugged him but his reply suggested he understood my enthusiasm - sorry but yeah I was one of those annoying fans . I think I've grown a little .
I am pleased to join this forum and look forward to reading more from all!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-02-2010, 09:59 PM
(05-01-2010 01:06 PM)drmdawg13 Wrote:  I am George and nice to meet everyone. I am currently deployed in the Middle East and have become a self taught cook. We are on a small base and have to fend for ourselves. So I have been checking the internet and the bar and grill for ideas for dinner.

Lunch is way to easy, MRE's (Meals Ready to Eat). Some are great and others not so much. LOL.

I have been playing the drums for the past 30 years but have only sticks and a practice pad while here.

Thanks for being over there on duty George Smile
05-02-2010, 10:57 PM
Hello All....Midwest USA. Love to cook, like eating even more. Grew up with a family from Appalachia. My favorite dish is ''soup beans and cornbread". Carve up an onion and mix it right in, along with some fried potatoes. I could eat that forever. I tend to not eat on the healthy side, but am trying to change all of that.

Additonal interests include nature and the outdoors. I'm a certified naturalist. Wildlife rehabilitation, birding, fishing, collecting fossils, hiking, camping, travel, music, politics, and any and every thing science related.

Thank you for inviting me. I'm excited to be here.

Those who forget the pasta are condemned to reheat it.
05-03-2010, 12:19 AM
Hi, Andy here in Seattle, WA. I live on the tallest hill in the city with my wife Brenda and two boys, Cameron and Drew. I'm not much of a cook, but Bubba and Brutus's recipes have inspired me. I bought a juicer for the family last Christmas and have enjoyed trying out different combinations (so far, orange juice is my favorite). My wife is an amazing cook, and she's recently introduced my kids to her homemade biscuits and gravy for breakfast. Of course, that means I get to eat it, too!

By day I work at a large software company in Redmond, and by night (and on the weekends) I play drums, write, read, and listen to music. I don't ride motorcycles, but it seems like just about everyone at my work does. The closest I've come to the two-wheel way of life is on my bicycle, riding the hills of Seattle -- but I haven't done that in a while.

I've enjoyed this forum so far and look forward to participating more.
05-03-2010, 07:25 AM
Hi,

I'm Demodain or Bob for those who know me.

I can cook anything as long as I have a recipe, and can barbecue off the cuff. I'm not a great cook or the primary cook at home, I just have a knack for it.

As a cousin to cooking I also brew beer, and a fun hobby it is.

Cheers
05-03-2010, 08:58 AM
I'm Ed, I run a music store where I also teach guitar lessons. I've been a self taught cook since middle school (I'll be 39 next week so I have been cooking a long time) my favorite things to cook are soups with my home made stocks and pasta dishes with my homemade sauces. I'm a long time Rush fan having seen every tour since Hold Your Fire and can't wait till the Time Machine tour rolls through Pittsburgh in September. Besides music and cooking I'm avid cyclist and a voracious reader. I'm also married to a woman who doesn't cook but who loves my cooking. We share our home with two spoiled dogs and one spoiled cat.
05-03-2010, 10:48 AM
Hola! I'm Ben from Hershey, PA...I'm a long time drummer and the chief cook and bottle washer in this house! I can grill a mean steak, or whip up an Italian meal that will have you yelling "NO MORE I'M STUFFED!"

I'm currently unemployed, but have been working on a medical coding certificate in order to get back in to the workforce....I'll still be the chief cook, but maybe when I can get a new job, the bottle washing can go to my wife.

In other news...I've been a Rush fan since 1976...All The World's a Stage changed my life, and the way I felt about playing drums! I've only seen the boys 9 times (going to Allentown this summer) Other bands/musicians I really can't live without are Frank Zappa, Pink Floyd, ELP, Gov't Mule, Dave Matthews, Yes, and Dream Theater. So if anyone ever asks me about what discs I'd take to a desert island, it would come from that pool of talent!

I also like to read, scuba dive, and taste wine and beer!
05-03-2010, 11:52 AM
I'm Jeff from Georgia. I teach high school art, specializing in clay work (hence the name rakuyaki - which is a type of Japanese pottery). Been at the same rural school about 60 miles west of Atlanta for 23 years.
First saw Rush in the late seventies at the old Boutwell Auditorium in Birmingham, Alabama after discovering "All the World's a Stage." I was immediately drawn to that album -- even though I'd never heard of Rush at the time -- because of the drums in the picture on the cover. As I know lots of Rush fans are, I'm a drummer. Was a member of Spirit of Atlanta Drum & Bugle Corps in 1980 and 81, where I found many kindred spirits who also listened to Rush.
Great to be here -- looking forward to "Time Machine" when it comes to Atlanta in September. I love taking my sons -- who of course are big Rush fans as well - with me to see the band these days!
05-03-2010, 12:17 PM
(05-02-2010 07:58 PM)Nanobabe Wrote:  Ben, you are now one of my heroes.
Thanks, but I feel far from heroic Wink

(05-02-2010 08:16 PM)Sololson Wrote:  
(05-02-2010 07:38 PM)Fozzie Wrote:  Howdy,

I'm Ben, and like Eric, I too am from Sac-a-tomatoes...it is what it is. I'm a Geology student, working on my BS (not in BS...) at Sac City College and Sac State. Presently, I ride a 2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R (used to ride a 2006 Kawi ZZR600, and also own my uncle's old 1972 Honda CB175) and have been riding for a couple years now, partly from inspiration from Bubba. Recently I have become more interested in food, mostly because Easy Mac, while tasty, is far from nutritious. This interest in food has led me to the wonderful world of wine and spirits as well as an appreciation for travel and sight-seeing (by bike of course).

I get a lot of inspiration for food from food shows such as "Good Eats." Something about how Alton breaks down cooking into a scientific process appeals to my geekness. I also like trying different methods and ingredients. Also, I've gained an interest in food because I have to manage my Crohn's Disease with food that won't make me too ill.

I hope this place blossoms into a great resource for foodies and Rush fans alike, and possibly even a moto-scooter hangout as it seems so many members are riders too.

Small world, huh? I'm currently taking classes at both Sac City and ARC, with the hope to be moving on to a University somewhere in this lifetime. I also picked up riding a couple of years ago, due partly to my reading of Ghost Rider. I just posted earlier today wondering if anyone had seen "Feasting on Asphalt". I too really enjoy Alton's approach, although I've unfortunately discontinued my cable service, so I'm relegated to clips on Hulu.Sad

Eric,
What're you studying? I feel the same way, especially with all the budget cuts and reductions in higher education. I was supposed to be a full time student at CSUS this fall, but because of some GPA things and the budget woes, I have to wait a full year before I can apply, which pushes me back even further. Open University allows you to take University level classes while not being a "real" student at Sac State, you should look into it if you're running out of classes to take at the JC, like me.
05-03-2010, 12:30 PM
Bob - Santa Cruz Ca... 44yo, Rush fan since age 12, former professional chef, current math/PE teacher, former motorcyclist, current motorist/dad... all is well looking forward to this forum!