Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Shout out to SB
07-14-2017, 03:47 PM (This post was last modified: 07-14-2017 03:52 PM by Sunset.)
Shout out to SB
PSA...You prob know but just in case. Safety recall 2013 to June 2017 GSw's and GSa's.

Stanchion/issue. Peel down rubber strap that covers the mating of fork tube and upper triple.
-no gap=probably fine
-gap<.2mm=maybe problem
-gap>.2mm likely problem

I have the gap in both tubes but <.2mm. Imma lay off the wheelies and keep riding until the sleeve fix comes in.

ymmv

Edit...if you're reading this and have an alternative path of communication please let her know.

To ask why we cook is to ask why the leaves fall...
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-16-2017, 06:18 PM
RE: Shout out to SB
Thanks, Sunset. Just texted her.

If I'd known you were French, I'd have worn galoshes...
07-16-2017, 10:06 PM
(Thanks Gunga!)

Sunset, yep, I heard about it. I figured I was ok if it hadn't shaken apart on the 1000miles of Dempster Highway I did last year. BUT, as a precaution, I did call my stealership to check if my VIN was affected, which it is not. I did take a peek at them and they look fine.

I hope yours stay together...please take it easy until the fix is in!

Good lookin' out, brother. Thanks for that!Big Grin

Love and respect...
Turn up the music and smile!
ASSTA Member
07-26-2017, 07:39 AM
3days before the big Beartooth Pass ride a friend calls and tells me about the global safety recall. I blast down to the dealership: "yep, you're showing the gap on the right fork tube. We won't have the sleeves before scheduled departure. It's your call sir." Lovely.Dodgy

Went anyway. 9 days and 4300mi of bliss.

And thx for relaying the message Gunga!

07-28-2017, 06:02 PM
Peeps lookin' out fer Peeps... gotta lervvv it! Big Grin

Blah blah blah....yada yada yada!
07-31-2017, 11:16 PM
HeartHeartHeartBig GrinBig GrinBig GrinHeartHeartHeart

Love and respect...
ASSTA Member
08-05-2017, 08:50 PM
(07-26-2017 07:39 AM)Sunset Wrote:  3days before the big Beartooth Pass ride a friend calls and tells me about the global safety recall. I blast down to the dealership: "yep, you're showing the gap on the right fork tube. We won't have the sleeves before scheduled departure. It's your call sir." Lovely.Dodgy

Went anyway. 9 days and 4300mi of bliss.

And thx for relaying the message Gunga!

Not a problem, Sunset! And glad to hear you encountered nothing but bliss on your ride!

If I'd known you were French, I'd have worn galoshes...
08-10-2017, 02:03 PM (This post was last modified: 08-10-2017 02:04 PM by Sunset.)
Two beefy looking bushings and one fork tube later(because gap >.2mm) Meine Kleine Schnitzel is cleared for take-off.

SB...you tried any knobbies other than the wilds? I'm doing Dalton to Deadhorse in '19 and I've only got another 2k on this front, so I wanna start the tire research early.Big Grin

08-16-2017, 11:34 PM (This post was last modified: 08-16-2017 11:35 PM by Scooter Britches.)
I had TKCs on my F800, but meh, they were super rough on the highway and kinda sketchy feeling. The Wilds were great on the R12GS and worked great on wet pavement. I got almost 8k out of a set. I dig them and when I move to South Dakota in the spring, I'm most likely going to go Wilds full time. Smile

(I still need to go to the dealership and have them put those bushings on.)

Love and respect...
ASSTA Member
08-17-2017, 09:27 AM
Good info. Thx!Smile

(08-16-2017 11:34 PM)Scooter Britches Wrote:  (I still need to go to the dealership and have them put those bushings on.)

Yeah, I thought it odd when you mentioned your bike was not affected. I still think there's been a whole lotta wringing of hands and gnashing of teeth over what amounts to nothing for most riders, but peace of mind when the front wheel comes off the ground never hurts.Wink