Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Gardening.....
05-02-2010, 04:38 PM
Gardening.....
Do you have one? What do you grow? Do you freeze or can your produce?

Some inquiring minds might want to know.......

As I type, my husband is planting vegetable seeds, with the kids (and one doesn't like dirt).

A party without cake is really just a meeting
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-05-2010, 05:16 PM
RE: Gardening.....
Yes! The garden is a great thing. We are newbies to it...only into our 2nd year now, but love it. Our youngest boy (4) really loves it. He won't eat a carrot unless he picked it out of the ground himself.

Have not started experimenting with canning or storing yet. Wanted to just get the basics of putting something in the dirt and seeing something eatible come of it. So far so good.

This years changes included the addition of garlic and potatoes. We do about half our garden from seed and the other half from starts grown by locals and bought at the farmers market.

Next step is to try some winter starts...either in the house or via a small-ish greenhouse.

"Let's laugh about this together, shall we?"
05-05-2010, 06:53 PM
My wife and I have thought about it over the years. But, between lack of time, poor sunlight where it would go, and we're afraid of what might be in the ground, we opted to not do it. Hopefully in our next place we'll have a better chance of doing it.

That being said, I do prefer garden fresh fruits & veggies over store bought.
Find all posts by this user
05-06-2010, 09:44 AM
We grow all sorts of things in our garden - olives, cherries, strawberries, beans, potatoes, tomatoes... We lost most of our trees in a freak fire recently so there wont be any apples this year but normally we bottle those. There isn't usually much left to store because my sister's kids are always over, grazing...

With all of my dietary restrictions, I'm left with lipstick and water
05-06-2010, 09:58 AM
I wish! I've thought about putting in a small greenhouse. We live in a spot where a lot of deer come through and those buggers eat anything and everything it seems like! Except for my weeds... They leave those alone! I have the most beautiful garden of weeds though.
05-06-2010, 07:57 PM
My main interest is hot peppers and one summer I had 13 dozen hot peppers going. Now I am down to 2 or 3 dozen. I grow a couple of dozen tomatoes for my wife and kids too. I have a pretty herb garden with rosemary, greek oregano, mint, lemonbalm, tarragon, chives, sage, thyme, parsley, fennel, lemongrass and lavender.

I also grow a cold hardy banana which is one of my favorite plants. Musa Basjoo will never make fruit but adds a cool tropical feel to the garden. I use the leaves for grilling and have also used them to wrap tamales. Other plants include apple trees, blackberries, blueberries, rhododendrons, azaleas, etc etc......
05-11-2010, 06:03 PM
(05-02-2010 04:38 PM)Bageleth Wrote:  Do you have one? What do you grow? Do you freeze or can your produce?

As I type, my husband is planting vegetable seeds, with the kids (and one doesn't like dirt).

I'm big on gardening! I grow veggies and flowers, mostly dahlias. I have won prizes from the County Fair for my flowers Smile Another biggie in my garden is the tomato patch. I can them every year, and give them to my kids for Christmas presents! I also grow beets, carrots, cucumbers and squashes, among other things. Hurray for summer!!
05-11-2010, 06:20 PM
(05-02-2010 04:38 PM)Bageleth Wrote:  Do you have one? What do you grow? Do you freeze or can your produce?

Absolutely, I have a garden! OMG, I must request from Bubba or Brutus or Spike or somebody to grant me more than 250KB for pics. There's something amazing that I have to show you!
05-11-2010, 08:15 PM
I'm still lernin my way here and I need more input on changing the file size for images. Will it slow stuff down? What are the plusses and minuses of doing so? Help me figure it out and I'll run it by "Spike" and the permissions folks to see what can be done, K?

Sacred cows make the best hamburgers.

I bought a doughnut and they gave me a receipt for the doughtnut... I don't need a receipt for the doughnut. I give you money and you give me the doughnut, end of transaction. We don't need to bring ink and paper into this. I can't imagine a scenario that I would have to prove that I bought a doughnut. To some skeptical friend, 'Don't even act like I didn't get that doughnut, I've got the documentation right here... It's in my file at home. ...Under "D".'
05-11-2010, 09:01 PM
I'll work on a solution from this end as well. We'll see.