Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Gardening.....
05-11-2010, 10:41 PM
RE: Gardening.....
eP9, do you have the pictures on a flickr or photobucket account in which you could put the link here for the time being? Would that work?

A party without cake is really just a meeting
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-18-2010, 09:03 AM
Just started ours. We have Tomatoes and Romas, cucumbers, hot peppers and green peppers and some corn. Just a little one, nothing to fancy.
Find all posts by this user
05-24-2010, 09:42 PM
Wish I had the time to tend a big garden, but I don't. I refuse to go through a season without at least fresh tomatoes though, so I do a bit of container gardening. I have a couple of whiskey barrels with tomato and pepper plants and of course some herbs scattered about. What's a tomato without some fresh basil?? I love to make fresh pesto too so lots of basil is a must! I've also got some cilantro, greek oregano, lemon thyme and I'm being taken over by my chocolate mint! The stuff goes crazy and gets a bit difficult to control.
05-26-2010, 05:20 AM
My wife and I plant a rather large garden every year, this year we are planting a bit more as we are expecting our first child in July and would like to make most of our own baby food.

So, two questions, has anyone made their own baby food (aside from the obvious breast milk?) any tips?

Also, I think I miss planted our asparagus a couple of years ago and perhaps planted it to deep. Does anyone have asparagus growing tips?

Thanks!

November is now MOvember. Knowledge is POWER and the Mustache is KING. Support mens Health and my Mustache farm here: http://mobro.co/counselor
05-31-2010, 07:36 AM
Just sown, (well with a lot of supervision from my wife) my Serrano Chillis. I hope they will do well, and will probably dry or preserve in oil the harvest. Those that dont go straight into Chilli - Con - Carne, or curries that is.
06-01-2010, 05:23 AM
(05-31-2010 07:36 AM)NWoBHM Wrote:  Just sown, (well with a lot of supervision from my wife) my Serrano Chillis. I hope they will do well, and will probably dry or preserve in oil the harvest. Those that dont go straight into Chilli - Con - Carne, or curries that is.

How do you preserve them in oil? I assume Olive Oil but do you roast them first? Please, do tell...

November is now MOvember. Knowledge is POWER and the Mustache is KING. Support mens Health and my Mustache farm here: http://mobro.co/counselor
06-01-2010, 07:51 AM
Quote:How do you preserve them in oil? I assume Olive Oil but do you roast them first? Please, do tell...

To be honest I am not sure, I will need to research the process - (which I have just done) and it is alarming the warnings not to do the preserved in oil route, unless they are roasted first - lots of warnings of Chillis fermenting, smelling, looking not good, food poison etc!!. I am surprised as I just assumed, (having had loads of chilli infused oils at Italian restuarants) it was straightforward.

See below -

Olive oil does not, in itself, preserve. It excludes air, but, if you put raw vegetables in it, the bacteria on them continue to breed anaerobically (i.e. without air) and turn the vegetables rotten - and potentially lethal (well, at least nasty).

The Italians have two methods of preserving/pickling - one is sott'aceto (=under vinegar), the other is sott'olio (=under oil). In both of these methods the vegetables are first cooked to kill off bacteria. If they are to be preserved in oil they have to be very carefully handled to avoid further bacterial contamination.

Things preserved sott'olio are intended to be eaten as a starter rather than being used like the fresh form. I have long been a fan of carciofi sott'olio, but prefer to buy them rather than make them. Note the warning in the recipe in the above link about killing people
06-02-2010, 06:39 PM
When it comes to juxtaposition, this place takes the flan.
06-11-2010, 01:36 PM
(06-01-2010 05:23 AM)Counselor Wrote:  
(05-31-2010 07:36 AM)NWoBHM Wrote:  Just sown, (well with a lot of supervision from my wife) my Serrano Chillis. I hope they will do well, and will probably dry or preserve in oil the harvest. Those that dont go straight into Chilli - Con - Carne, or curries that is.

How do you preserve them in oil? I assume Olive Oil but do you roast them first? Please, do tell...

the easiest way to store serranos IMO and many other peppers is to freeze them. wash, then dry peppers, place on cookie sheet and freeze. put in ziploc or freezer container.

serranos are one of the most beautiful peppers when they change colors.
06-13-2010, 09:23 AM
Quote:the easiest way to store serranos IMO and many other peppers is to freeze them. wash, then dry peppers, place on cookie sheet and freeze. put in ziploc or freezer container.

Thanks for the tip - I will do this. In the old days we had an old Rayburn - a solid cast iron range cooker - which you could dry out the chillis in the slow oven - that was good.

Quote:serranos are one of the most beautiful peppers when they change colors.

Looking forward to this - the shoots are already coming through!!