Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Gardening.....
06-13-2010, 10:04 AM
RE: Gardening.....
Whilst living in Vancouver, my wife (now ex) and I had a huge garden in our backyard in which we planted spuds, tomatoes, corn, radishes, beans and lettuce. There are fewer things more satisfying than going to the garden, picking a few things, washing them off and putting them directly into a salad or stir fry.

Upon moving to Calgary we tried it again. No dice. The closest I ever got was a crop of cherry tomatoes that were going great until getting pummeled by a hail storm into something resembling a murder scene. The only missing bit was the chalk outline.

Currently I'm in a townhouse with one less wife and zero for garden space, so I have to make do with regular trips to my local farmer's market.

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-13-2010, 10:41 AM
As a passive agressive realist, yesterday, not gardening, had me fixated to this gardening tv show instead of actually gardening itself.

And yet here I find myself again today, not gardening, but realizing a pastoral setting.

I blame the heat index, hovering around 109 degrees today. The humidity here makes me want to water the plants with my sweat equity, for in the future they will quench me, all those seeds that we let grow.

Seriously thinking about not a garden road tundra, but a rotunda, or some ancient greek ruins replicas interspersed betwinxt the hedges.

"I'm the mole from the garden shed..." - reminds me of the Eggman.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wg2DakBCghc

Can you believe BP's Oil Spill response for the Gulf of Mexico included the Walrus?

Have a Narwhal kind of day, my sea unicorn!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-14-2010, 11:29 AM (This post was last modified: 06-14-2010 11:41 AM by tangy.)
I love garlic!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[Image: IMG_2108.jpg]
Cold hardy bananas ( musa basjoo ) and cold hardy palm. ( needle palm )

[Image: IMG_1563.jpg]
tomatoes & hot peppers. this was a week or so ago. much large now with trellis in place. have already picked the banana peppers twice!

[Image: IMG_1566.jpg]
my first attempt at giant pumpkins.

[Image: IMG_1558.jpg]

from a few years back. gotta respect anything that can crunch on a habby like this...........

[Image: peppercat.jpg]
06-14-2010, 12:41 PM
(06-13-2010 09:23 AM)NWoBHM Wrote:  
Quote:the easiest way to store serranos IMO and many other peppers is to freeze them. wash, then dry peppers, place on cookie sheet and freeze. put in ziploc or freezer container.

Thanks for the tip - I will do this. In the old days we had an old Rayburn - a solid cast iron range cooker - which you could dry out the chillis in the slow oven - that was good.

Quote:serranos are one of the most beautiful peppers when they change colors.

Looking forward to this - the shoots are already coming through!!

Freezing is a good way to store them and its easy to chop them frozen. The only downside is if you lose power for an extended period of time and they melt. That happened to me this winter. A follow up on the serranos changing colors: pick most of them when green and let the final batch turn red. peppers produce more when picked regularly.
06-15-2010, 07:08 AM
Quote:A follow up on the serranos changing colors: pick most of them when green and let the final batch turn red. peppers produce more when picked regularly.

Thanks Tangy - Your garden looks fantastic by the way - a lot bigger than your average Brit back gardenSad
06-16-2010, 07:43 AM (This post was last modified: 07-22-2010 03:54 AM by RN-PRN.)
My husband starts all of his plants from seed in early spring (inside the house of course). We have 8 different varieties of tomatoes, 5 varieties of seedless cukes, several varieties of beans, hot peppers (not sure what he planted this year), raspberries (they are yummy and in abundance right now), lettuce and spinach are done for now. Those were planted really early and do really well when it is cold out (no bugs either!).
07-04-2010, 07:48 AM
Well just "potted on" the Serranos Chillis today. I hope it goes well - this part of the operation was unsupervised, so it could all go horribly wrong, but I am quite taken with them, and growing generally.
07-21-2010, 02:04 PM
Chillis continuing to grow in their new big pots.........but I think I might have made a big mistake. I was checking on Google about watering etc, and it was saying that the Chillis wont produce fruit until about 23 weeks. Well I sowed them April(ish) time, which means mid Winter when they should produce fruit........Ooops............as some kids would say, (not mine)........fail!
07-21-2010, 09:29 PM
(07-21-2010 02:04 PM)NWoBHM Wrote:  Chillis continuing to grow in their new big pots.........but I think I might have made a big mistake. I was checking on Google about watering etc, and it was saying that the Chillis wont produce fruit until about 23 weeks. Well I sowed them April(ish) time, which means mid Winter when they should produce fruit........Ooops............as some kids would say, (not mine)........fail!

I wonder if building a cold frame over them would help them survive in the winter?

A party without cake is really just a meeting
07-22-2010, 12:07 AM
(07-21-2010 02:04 PM)NWoBHM Wrote:  Chillis continuing to grow in their new big pots.........but I think I might have made a big mistake. I was checking on Google about watering etc, and it was saying that the Chillis wont produce fruit until about 23 weeks. Well I sowed them April(ish) time, which means mid Winter when they should produce fruit........Ooops............as some kids would say, (not mine)........fail!

We have grown many types of hot peppers over the years. We start them from seed. Looking back at the packages and the websites where we purchase them from, serrano chilis take approximately 85 days to maturity. Hope this helps. I have never seen a pepper take that long (23 weeks) to mature. Cool