Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Gardening.....
07-22-2010, 02:34 AM
RE: Gardening.....
Quote:We have grown many types of hot peppers over the years. We start them from seed. Looking back at the packages and the websites where we purchase them from, serrano chilis take approximately 85 days to maturity. Hope this helps. I have never seen a pepper take that long (23 weeks) to mature.
Thanks so much RN-PRN. I hope they do come through OK - I have grown quite attached to them and gardening - so would love to see some fruit from them.
Noticing your earlier message - I have them in the conservatory - so that should help them grow and survive if it gets cold.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-22-2010, 07:09 PM
(06-14-2010 11:29 AM)tangy Wrote:  I love garlic!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[Image: IMG_2108.jpg]
Cold hardy bananas ( musa basjoo ) and cold hardy palm. ( needle palm )

[Image: IMG_1563.jpg]
tomatoes & hot peppers. this was a week or so ago. much large now with trellis in place. have already picked the banana peppers twice!

[Image: IMG_1566.jpg]
my first attempt at giant pumpkins.

[Image: IMG_1558.jpg]

from a few years back. gotta respect anything that can crunch on a habby like this...........

[Image: peppercat.jpg]

That garlic picture is amazing! I smelled it from here!
07-23-2010, 09:01 AM
I do mostly flowers, but also herbs and some veggies as well. My main goal is to plant species that attract butterflies. This year we have seen quite a variety!
09-02-2010, 02:15 AM
First Chilis are now showing on the plants. Hopefully they will still do ok, it is very Autumnal over here in the UK now, mist hanging around the river valleys etc.
10-03-2010, 10:19 AM
Well, so far, one decent looking chilli. I dont know whether to frame it or eat it. But this is a big result for me, as I have never grown anything before, and I am now fired up for next year, to have a better, (more informed) attempt, and also to crack on earlier in the season.
10-03-2010, 05:36 PM
All of our gardening is over for the year. Tropical plants were brought in the house or garage. Frost is predicted for tonight. Sad Winter is just around the corner. On the bright side though, that is when we start planning the garden for the next year Smile
Find all posts by this user
10-10-2010, 07:39 PM
Still squeaking out a garden in OR.
I put in a fall crop of sugar snap peas, some winter greens, and the tomatoes are still limping along. I even got a handful of strawberries off of our ever bearing bushes; they seem to like the cooler weather. I'm crossing my fingers to see how long it will linger along.
I got a huge crop of horseradish if the foliage is any indication, so if anyone is in the Willamette Valley and wants a piece after it freezes, let me know, I'd be happy to share!

"Life ain't like books.
Books got somebody writin' 'em and tryin' to entertain ya.
Life is more like a set of Legos.
Unless you take care of 'em, you lose a few pieces and you end up steppin' on 'em with bare feet.
You gotta take care of your life."
~Laura Moncur
10-12-2010, 12:23 PM
Quote:I got a huge crop of horseradish

One of my favourite sauces, (do you spell it differently in the US as I note a thread headline on this site is Sources? As in where it came from?) is Horseradish with a grilled steak - especially if it is very hot - sort of sets the inside of your nose on fire type stuff. Would love to share, but UK based :-(
12-30-2010, 01:52 PM
Well, I finally "harvested" the only chili I grew, and plonked it in my Jalfrezi last night - tasted great.
Although the desperately cold weather over here seems to have killed off the plants - all except the two smallest "runts" which looked unviable compared to the others, and they survived - strange!
Looking forward to having a go next year - but sowing earlier - "he that sows the heat, must also reap the volcano" or something like that.
12-30-2010, 04:18 PM
Going to be starting the spring lettuce in the greenhouse soon, even thought we have had freezing temps and ice on the roads.
It can't be helped, Christmas is OVER, its time for spring!

"Life ain't like books.
Books got somebody writin' 'em and tryin' to entertain ya.
Life is more like a set of Legos.
Unless you take care of 'em, you lose a few pieces and you end up steppin' on 'em with bare feet.
You gotta take care of your life."
~Laura Moncur