Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Home Brewing (Wine, Beer, & Hooch)
05-03-2010, 12:27 PM (This post was last modified: 05-03-2010 12:29 PM by Flazer.)
Home Brewing (Wine, Beer, & Hooch)
I've seen several different hints through my reading of the forum, that several people here make their own wine or beer as hobbies. I find this extremely fascinating, and maybe someday soon I will look into starting this as a hobby. But for now, maybe the ones that already participate can share their insight. Could you explain your set up? What do you brew? What made you start brewing? What's a good resource for a newbie and where should one start?

Maybe this is in the wrong section, but I trust that Brutus will move it if he feels it should be elsewhere.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-04-2010, 09:29 PM
RE: Home Brewing (Wine, Beer, & Hooch)
[quote='Fozzie' pid='899' dateline='1272911244']
I've seen several different hints through my reading of the forum, that several people here make their own wine or beer as hobbies. I find this extremely fascinating, and maybe someday soon I will look into starting this as a hobby. But for now, maybe the ones that already participate can share their insight. Could you explain your set up? What do you brew? What made you start brewing? What's a good resource for a newbie and where should one start?

Maybe this is in the wrong section, but I trust that Brutus will move it if he feels it should be elsewhere.
[/quot

perfect place for this thread. Hopefully you'll start the home brew ball rolling.

B
05-05-2010, 12:13 AM
(05-04-2010 09:29 PM)Brutus Wrote:  
(05-03-2010 12:27 PM)Fozzie Wrote:  I've seen several different hints through my reading of the forum, that several people here make their own wine or beer as hobbies. I find this extremely fascinating, and maybe someday soon I will look into starting this as a hobby. But for now, maybe the ones that already participate can share their insight. Could you explain your set up? What do you brew? What made you start brewing? What's a good resource for a newbie and where should one start?

perfect place for this thread. Hopefully you'll start the home brew ball rolling.

B

Thanks Brutus,

Since I posted this, I've been doing tons of reading and talking with a friend of mine who's pops used to brew his own beer. If things pan out, I'll possibly do a batch with him. I'll be sure to post any and all results.
05-12-2010, 09:18 PM (This post was last modified: 05-12-2010 09:32 PM by JrGtr42.)
I'm a homebrewer.
It's actually very easy to do, just like making soup (in fact, I sometimes refer to it as making malt-hop soup)
The hardest part is sanitation. Making sure that everything that touches the beer-to-be is clean and as bug-free as possible is the most important part.
My brewing rig basically consists of a large pot, up till now a 20-quart, but I just got a 32-quart one. For fermenting and bottling, I got a kit that is basically a couple of large plastic buckets.
So far I've done 3 batches, one of which didn;t work so well.
I plan to do another one either this weekend or next. It'll be an IPA. I want to turn it around pretty quick, and the next will be a Hefeweizen.
It;s a bit involved to explain over a forum post, but check out these links, it'll give you a primer.
Homebrew Wiki
How To Brew
Also, check out Charlie Papazian's book, Complete Hoy of Homebrewing
and John Palmer's How To Brew (yeah, same as one of the sites linked above)
Finally, check out Beer Advocate. There is a homebrewing section on the forums that is an incredible source of info.
(there are a bunch of links in the post, the colors are very similar to the main text)
04-17-2011, 08:43 PM
Flazer,
If you are still interested, do a search for hombrew stores in your area. Most will have demonstrations so that you can see what you are getting into.

Great hobby. You can get into it with a starter kit from the hombrew supply store plus a boiling pot and 2 and 1/2 cases of empty bottles (as a bonus, you get to empty the bottles!).

If you really like it, you can go to an all grain method if you want to step up a notch.

I ride therefore I am. I brew therefore I drink.
04-20-2011, 06:31 AM
I've been brewing for years. A good hint for starter brewers is don't mess w/bottles, go straight to kegs--a lot less cleaning involved (and as stated by JrGtr42, it'll ruin a batch!).

If you want bottles put the brew in after you kegged it, therefore you don't mess w/ priming sugars thus no residue in the bottom of your bottles!! (huge plus for cleaning up bottles later).

So true Speedtriple13, all grains are great and a lot cheaper to produce!
04-21-2011, 09:23 PM
RythmDog: yep, it's that sanitization that's key, though that wasn;t what hurt the batch I had that went weird back whenever I posted that. What happenned was a stuck fermentation, which came from probably some temperature control issues and under-pitching the yeast.
I've done a bunch more since then and haven;t had any problems.
As far as bottling, I use a few different sizes, helps to make as little cleaning as possible.
From a standard 5 gallon batch, I get 2 growlers, 16 to 18 22 - 24 oz bombers and 2 or 3 12-oz (I use those as testers, to make sure the conditioning is going well) I rinse the bottles out pretty well when they're first emptied, so dried / moldy gunk in there is all but eliminated come bottling time. I just give then a quick scrub with bottle brush, rinse well under hot water, then let them soak in a bleach bath for 10 minutes or so. Another hot water rinse and they;re ready to go.

All-grain does give more control and less cost to produce, but can be a bit complicated for a beginner. I'm hoping to get going on all-grain this summer - probably moving to a place with more space for brewing and storage, plus getting a turkey fryer, which will work better than my kitchen stove.
Also want to try wine somewhere along the way.
06-26-2011, 11:34 AM
Now this is a thread I can get behind!

I have been homebrewing for 15 years or so. I have a pretty nice all grain setup, but I am getting ready to convert it to a 10 gallon system rather than a 5. Making 10 takes the same amount of time, it's just a matter of sizing the equipment up.

And for those that are interested, find a local homebrew shop and talk to them about a starter kit. If there isn't a local shop you can find one online, Midwest brewing supply and Austin homebrew are both good shops with good prices.

Often they will advocate bottling for beginners, and it is easier as far as storage or bottles while carbonating and cost goes, but it is tedious and prone to errors. Kegging is by far the easiest method of beer carbonating and dispensing, but much more costly, as you will need a CO2 tank, regulators, beer line, and somewhere to keep the keg cold and happy.

If anybody is interested in talking homebrew, let me know!
06-26-2011, 06:06 PM
I'm glad there is some interest here. I never ended up getting the stuff to start brewing, but still intend to. Sometimes, life gets in the way Wink. What types of beers have you all been making? Better yet, anybody have a favorite style?
07-06-2011, 09:52 PM
I was hoping to her back to see what you've been up to since you first posted. I'm up to batch 12 or so. Pretty varied, ranging from Hefes and Engliush Bitter to oaked stout, though I did repeat an IPA that had come out pretty good and was hoping to do better. I want to do that one again and again - i like the style and how this came out.
Last week I bottled a Tripple I had made, my first all-grain batch. This was only a one-gallon batch, rather than the 5 that is pretty standard for homebrewing. It still needs another week or so conditioning in the bottle - I'll let you know how it comes out.
I;ve been getting some more info and ideas from a couple of the brewing magazines out there, plus interwebs and such.