Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Home Brewing (Wine, Beer, & Hooch)
07-15-2011, 06:54 PM
RE: Home Brewing (Wine, Beer, & Hooch)
(07-06-2011 09:52 PM)JrGtr42 Wrote:  I was hoping to her back to see what you've been up to since you first posted. I'm up to batch 12 or so. Pretty varied, ranging from Hefes and Engliush Bitter to oaked stout, though I did repeat an IPA that had come out pretty good and was hoping to do better. I want to do that one again and again - i like the style and how this came out.
Last week I bottled a Tripple I had made, my first all-grain batch. This was only a one-gallon batch, rather than the 5 that is pretty standard for homebrewing. It still needs another week or so conditioning in the bottle - I'll let you know how it comes out.
I;ve been getting some more info and ideas from a couple of the brewing magazines out there, plus interwebs and such.

Well, I have to admit that I have been avoiding brewing to avoid the heat outside. Standing over a kettle in 100 degree plus heat for an hour isn't much fun. So, I have turned out a few batches of cider, and am nursing my last bits of blonde ale on tap. I have a braggot on tap right now, but that is a sipper, so no worries of it running dry.

I have the goods for more blonde and some IPA's available. Just waiting on a break in the weather.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-18-2011, 06:22 AM
Take care with Hooch and distilling your own spirits. 5 people blew themselves up over here with an illegal still last week. RIP.

Living the dream over here in Blighty
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-18-2011, 04:10 PM
I'm sorry - I know that is tragic.... but was it terribly wrong of me to laugh?

Most of us are so caught up in life that we forget to live it.
07-18-2011, 04:22 PM
I guess when normally distilling alcohol it is done out of sight, deep in the woods or whatever, where there is plenty of ventillation. These poor buggers were doing it in a lock up, in Boston Lincs, with everything closed up so no one could see. Eastern Europeans apparently - the police are trying to track relatives - no small job, as probably they were illegal immigrants.....

Living the dream over here in Blighty
07-22-2011, 08:33 PM
I'm trying an experiment to make Chery Liquor. I had some bing cherries left over and looked up a few recipes online. It 1st involved allowing them to soak in a vanilla vodka for 2 weeks or more in 1 glass canning jar and then removing the pink liquid placing it into another large glass container and layering the cherries with sugar until they are fully covered allowing them to set for another 2 to 3 weeks until they release more juice. You keep repeating the sugar layer method until the cherries are nothing but skin and pits. I'm on the 2nd sugar layering. As the liquid is released you mix it with the previous set aside fermentation. This is suppose to take awhile and when the cherries have become skin and pits, you then allow the final liquid mix to set for an additional 6 to 8 weeks. I'm figuring this should be done latter in the fall or early winter. Keep you posted.

"... always throw spilt salt over your left shoulder, keep rosemary by your garden gate, plant lavender for luck, and fall in love whenever you can..." Practical Magic
07-25-2011, 09:29 PM
My girlfriend and I did a chocolate vodka earlier this spring. Just took a bottle of vodka, and dump a cup or so of cocoa powder in there.
let steep for a month or so, then strain out the powder. It ended up really bitter, so we made up some simple syrup to add in, and it worked out great.
08-25-2011, 07:42 PM
Almost at the end of my experiment. The cherries have given all the liquid they could. With the last layering I took the sugar-slush and made a simple syrup and mixed it into the cherry fermenting liquid. This now has to set for another 8 weeks or so. The color is a deep dark burgundy red with a heady wonderful cherry/vanilla aroma.

"... always throw spilt salt over your left shoulder, keep rosemary by your garden gate, plant lavender for luck, and fall in love whenever you can..." Practical Magic
09-09-2011, 09:20 PM
o.k...growing outside my back door is a hops plant. The roomie(my sister) wants to brew beer with the hops? Can she? Would it be a good idea, or more of a mess than she can handle? She's never brewed beer before.

09-10-2011, 12:29 PM
Hi Nettie - I grew up with hops all around where we lived, and Cider apples. I remember the big hop kilns, and fresh hops strung around the bars of the local pubs.

They have all gone now, (except the cider apples), we apparently import all the beer ingredients now - (a tragic shame) - and I would bet no -one could remember how we took hops, dried them and turned them into beer (me included), but I reckon it would be a splendid idea for your Sis to give it a go.

Let me know how she gets on - I will try some over in the Bar one night.
09-10-2011, 05:49 PM
Someone she works with says that it can be done, but they use the hops pellets, since if you get the hops smell on your hands, it's there for a long while.
The stupid vine has been trained to go up the side of my house, and I'd like to get rid of it, but she wants to harvest the hops first.
Thanks for the info though.