Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Home Brewing (Wine, Beer, & Hooch)
09-11-2011, 03:10 AM
RE: Home Brewing (Wine, Beer, & Hooch)
hops smell on your hands

A few mates used to have Dads who worked on the hops, and they said they had a constant "hop smell" around them.

A lot of people swear by them helping you sleep, and put a few hops in pillow cases etc.

There are some great photo`s in pubs around here of Hop Stringers who walk up and down the hop rows on stilts so they can reach the tops..
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-20-2011, 09:45 AM
Well it seems my cherry liquor experiment is ready for sampling. I'm going to have it taste-tested at my Brother's this year for Thanksgiving. He and his girlfriend are hosting the day long fun and her family will be coming over too, so lots of guinea pigs to try this on.

"... always throw spilt salt over your left shoulder, keep rosemary by your garden gate, plant lavender for luck, and fall in love whenever you can..." Practical Magic
Find all posts by this user
11-20-2011, 10:34 PM
2Beers: let us know how that comes out...

As far as the hops on the house... send some my way...
It's probably a bit late for this post but.... some of the best beers I've had use hops fresh from the vine (or bine, as us technical types call it) What you gets from them really depends on what variety they are - some are best for early bittering in the boil, others for aroma, still others for flavor.

For updates on what I'm up to, I had a beer earlier this year(commercial beer - something that was supposed to out there being sold) that had gotten infected, in a good way. It was supposed to be a scotch ale, and ended up tasting like a lambic, or sour.
I harvested out some of the yeast residue at the bottom of the bottle, and brewed a simple brown ale. I bottled 3 gallons or so worth, and have 2 gallons aging on that starter. It's been there about 3 weeks now, another week or so and I'll give it a taste to see what's happenning with it. Hoping it comes out anywhere near what the original ended up.
11-24-2011, 10:31 PM
Well my guinea pigs upon tasting said that it was pretty good. It has a nice cherry/vanilla flavor, and best if chilled. We tried it at room temp and then chilled with 1 ice cube. The slight melt off the ice thinned it out a bit and helped with toning down the syrup-like texture. It is a sipping treat and after 2 to 3 shot glass size servings does leave you with a slight buzz.

"... always throw spilt salt over your left shoulder, keep rosemary by your garden gate, plant lavender for luck, and fall in love whenever you can..." Practical Magic
03-15-2012, 03:15 PM
In about a month I should be able to try my first (small) batch of mead. If it goes well I may have a new hobby, hahaha Wink
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-15-2012, 08:23 PM
I've done a fair bit of making my own liqueurs over the years, and it's considerably less onerous than trying to do beer/wine/etc.

Lots of success and great results for a cost-effective (i.e., cheap!) return.

----
I'm not one to believe in magic, but I sometimes have a second-sight....
04-21-2013, 08:40 PM
Double, double toil and trouble. Fire burn and cauldron bubble...

A batch of homemade Kahlua has begun to "cook"

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

04-22-2013, 12:55 AM
Won't it leak if you leave it sideways like that?

Tongue

Love and respect...
Turn up the music and smile!
ASSTA Member
09-21-2014, 11:00 PM
(05-03-2010 12:27 PM)Flazer Wrote:  I've seen several different hints through my reading of the forum, that several people here make their own wine or beer as hobbies. I find this extremely fascinating, and maybe someday soon I will look into starting this as a hobby. But for now, maybe the ones that already participate can share their insight. Could you explain your set up? What do you brew? What made you start brewing? What's a good resource for a newbie and where should one start?

Maybe this is in the wrong section, but I trust that Brutus will move it if he feels it should be elsewhere.

I hear that the Malt is critical to beer making and its taste?
[Image: 15127829338_bd43f1a95a_s.jpg]
09-27-2014, 08:21 AM
(09-21-2014 11:00 PM)zapmehome Wrote:  I hear that the Malt is critical to beer making and its taste?
[Image: 15127829338_bd43f1a95a_s.jpg]

Not sure if you're being serious or not...
but yes, malt (actually malted barley) is very critical to beer - it's the base on which it is made - one of the four base ingredients, along with water, hops and yeast.
Malt is where the yeast get the sugars that they eat to produce carbon dioxide and alcohol, it gives the beer a touch of sweetnesss (in the form on long-chain sugars the yeast can't eat) as well as color, plus various other flavors - hints of roastiness, biscuit graininess, and any number of other combinations.

besides replying to a post from 3 years ago... Wink