Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
How to post pictures, and other tips
05-04-2010, 05:14 AM
How to post pictures, and other tips
Figured I'd take a bit of time and create a thread with some information on how to add pictures, bullet items, text manipulation and other tips. If you have questions, or additional tips, please post up. The intention of this thread is to help each other out.

Thanks!

--------------------------------------------------------
How to post pictures:
You can post a picture either by using a hosting site such as Photobucket, flickr, or others which provide you with a url to upload and host the picture with. Simply copy the link they provide into the reply and it'll be there. It'll look something like this:

Code:
[img]http://www.domain.com/image.jpg[/img]

Or, by attaching it. When attaching, you have to be in the advanced reply screen though. You can't do it via quick reply box found at the bottom of the thread.

To attach pictures, simply click on reply, then at the bottom of the screen you'll see "attachments". Click on the browse button and select your picture. When done, click on "Post Reply" button and you're finished.

Be aware though, that we're only given a 250KB limit. So, while you can attach pictures, files, etc. space will run out quickly if you post a lot. While linking pictures from a hosted site such as Photobucket, flickr, etc relies upon another site and may slow down the page load at times, it's generally fairly quick to load. I've had very few issues with posting pictures on photobucket over the years.

To link to a webpage without showing the actual link:
Code:
[url=http://www.bubbawares.com]Bubba's threads 'n gear[/url]

To do italics:
Code:
[i]italics[/i]

To do bold lettering:
Code:
[b]bold[/b]

To do bullet style listing:
Code:
[list]
[*]Item1
[*]Item2
[*]Item3
[/list]

To show code on how to do something such as what I showed above, surround the text with below (remove the space between the last "e" and right bracket "]":
[code] [/code ]

You can also do many of these without knowing the code I gave if you prefer. Above the text reply window (again, not the quick reply found at the bottom of the page) are some text formatting and reply features. At this time, they are:
  • Font
  • Text size
  • Text colour
  • Insert Bold Text
  • Insert Italic Text
  • Insert Underlined Text
  • Align text to the left
  • Align text to the center
  • Align text to the right
  • Justify text
  • Insert Numbered List
  • Insert bulleted list
  • Insert image (this does not attach, it provides a link to photo as I described above)
  • Insert hyperlink (this gives a link to a URL with optional text)
  • Insert email (This gives a clickable link to send someone e-mail)
  • Insert quoted text (Click once to start, type text, then click again to close)
  • Insert formatted code (Click once to start, type text, then click again to close)
  • Insert PHP code (Click once to start, type text, then click again to close)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-04-2010, 08:56 PM
RE: How to post pictures, and other tips
(05-04-2010 05:14 AM)ForceTen Wrote:  Figured I'd take a bit of time and create a thread with some information on how to add pictures, bullet items, text manipulation and other tips. If you have questions, or additional tips, please post up. The intention of this thread is to help each other out.

Thanks!

--------------------------------------------------------
How to post pictures:
You can post a picture either by using a hosting site such as Photobucket, flickr, or others which provide you with a url to upload and host the picture with. Simply copy the link they provide into the reply and it'll be there. It'll look something like this:

Code:
[img]http://www.domain.com/image.jpg[/img]

Or, by attaching it. When attaching, you have to be in the advanced reply screen though. You can't do it via quick reply box found at the bottom of the thread.

To attach pictures, simply click on reply, then at the bottom of the screen you'll see "attachments". Click on the browse button and select your picture. When done, click on "Post Reply" button and you're finished.

Be aware though, that we're only given a 250KB limit. So, while you can attach pictures, files, etc. space will run out quickly if you post a lot. While linking pictures from a hosted site such as Photobucket, flickr, etc relies upon another site and may slow down the page load at times, it's generally fairly quick to load. I've had very few issues with posting pictures on photobucket over the years.

To link to a webpage without showing the actual link:
Code:
[url=http://www.bubbawares.com]Bubba's threads 'n gear[/url]

To do italics:
Code:
[i]italics[/i]

To do bold lettering:
Code:
[b]bold[/b]

To do bullet style listing:
Code:
[list]
[*]Item1
[*]Item2
[*]Item3
[/list]

To show code on how to do something such as what I showed above, surround the text with below (remove the space between the last "e" and right bracket "]":
[code] [/code ]

You can also do many of these without knowing the code I gave if you prefer. Above the text reply window (again, not the quick reply found at the bottom of the page) are some text formatting and reply features. At this time, they are:
  • Font
  • Text size
  • Text colour
  • Insert Bold Text
  • Insert Italic Text
  • Insert Underlined Text
  • Align text to the left
  • Align text to the center
  • Align text to the right
  • Justify text
  • Insert Numbered List
  • Insert bulleted list
  • Insert image (this does not attach, it provides a link to photo as I described above)
  • Insert hyperlink (this gives a link to a URL with optional text)
  • Insert email (This gives a clickable link to send someone e-mail)
  • Insert quoted text (Click once to start, type text, then click again to close)
  • Insert formatted code (Click once to start, type text, then click again to close)
  • Insert PHP code (Click once to start, type text, then click again to close)

Damn, you're good. Nice to know your space can run out quickly if you do a lot of posting with images but that would be a drag for some people. What could I do to clear space for members should they need it? Deleting old posts with lots of images? I think (seriously, I've been known to do that) that I might need some good-cop-moderators down the road and maybe even around the next bend. Let me know if you might be interested. Nice to have someone with chops to cover my back.

B

Sacred cows make the best hamburgers.

I bought a doughnut and they gave me a receipt for the doughtnut... I don't need a receipt for the doughnut. I give you money and you give me the doughnut, end of transaction. We don't need to bring ink and paper into this. I can't imagine a scenario that I would have to prove that I bought a doughnut. To some skeptical friend, 'Don't even act like I didn't get that doughnut, I've got the documentation right here... It's in my file at home. ...Under "D".'
05-05-2010, 07:54 AM
Thanks B! Glad to help out as I can and would be more than happy to assist you here at Bubba's BNG.

Regarding the space issues, there's a few options:

1) Leave as is and let the person manage the space themselves
2) Use a hosting site as mentioned and not allow attachments
3) Bump the space up allowed for each user a little
4) Clean up old threads once they reach a certain period without any activity

I generally don't like to mess with people's posts or attachments because what may seem trivial to others may be important to them. Of course, there are exceptions such as a post against rules, etc. But, for the most part, I prefer to let people manage things themselves.

One forum I'm on has an almost limitless amount of space for attachments and doesn't seem to restrict how much a person can attach. But, they do limit the size of each attachment. Another doesn't allow attachments unless you're a preferred member and then you get the ability to upload/attach. But, most of them give a few MB of space to each user and allows them to manage as they see fit.

In regards to removing old posts, that's a bit complex depending upon what areas you want to manage. Keep relevant areas for historical and informational purposes and only purge posts from the "General/Off Topic" subforum after inactivity for a certain amount of time?

The biggest factor is going to be amount of space allowed on the server for storage as well as network traffic/bandwidth limitations. Being it's still new and the kinks are being worked out, might be good to just let it sit a bit and see what happens as things progress.

If you want, I can get into more specifics via PM as this is is generally more of an administrative call.
05-12-2010, 04:58 AM
I would pretty much agree with what ForceTen said above about the management of attachments. I help run another forum (a pretty large one, in the grand scheme of things, not that I'd brag... Tongue ) and we actually don't even let our users do attachments at all, for a couple of reasons: 1) when you end up eventually with a bunch of users, you'll eat disk space on your servers fast once people start putting attachments up, and 2) the attachments must then be served off of your servers, over the bandwidth that you're paying for. What a lot of places do, like ForceTen mentioned, is to just have everyone use one of the free external hosting sites to post their images, and then use the [ img ] tags to insert them into posts. That way, everyone still gets to use pretty pictures of the food that they're cooking up, but it doesn't eat your server disk space, and it doesn't eat your bandwidth while still providing the same end experience. You also then don't have to worry about eventually pruning people's attachments when space gets tight.

-Tim
05-12-2010, 07:48 PM
I'm pretty sure Hot linking pictures still uses bandwidth( it does with IPB) and server space is not that expensive, but it depends on how many active users this site will have.

What we do on the forum I admin is limit what threads users are allowed to post pictures in. Size restrictions are important also, no one wants to scroll sideways to see a picture.

Admins and Mods are important, but getting the users to Mod them selves is always the best option, and I feel the people this forum will attract will fall into this category.

I went to a restaurant that serves 'breakfast at any time'. So I ordered French Toast during the Renaissance. ~Steven Wright
05-13-2010, 05:13 AM
(05-12-2010 07:48 PM)Malazan-Bubba Wrote:  I'm pretty sure Hot linking pictures still uses bandwidth

If you use the [ img ] tags to link a picture, it is pulling the picture from whatever server it's hosted on that the link points to, so it's using bandwidth from that connection, not from the forum's servers.

-Tim
05-14-2010, 03:52 AM
(05-13-2010 05:13 AM)Timmay! Wrote:  
(05-12-2010 07:48 PM)Malazan-Bubba Wrote:  I'm pretty sure Hot linking pictures still uses bandwidth

If you use the [ img ] tags to link a picture, it is pulling the picture from whatever server it's hosted on that the link points to, so it's using bandwidth from that connection, not from the forum's servers.

-Tim

My tech guy says differently. I'm told we still use some Bandwidth when hot linking. Not a lot but it does still use some. I know how hot linking works(Bandwith and server "space" are not the same thing) Smile

I went to a restaurant that serves 'breakfast at any time'. So I ordered French Toast during the Renaissance. ~Steven Wright
05-18-2010, 08:17 PM
(05-14-2010 03:52 AM)Malazan-Bubba Wrote:  My tech guy says differently. I'm told we still use some Bandwidth when hot linking. Not a lot but it does still use some. I know how hot linking works(Bandwith and server "space" are not the same thing) Smile

Correct. Bandwidth used doesn't matter where it's originating from.
08-04-2014, 09:26 PM
Wow thanks all, I will be extremely attentive to photo sharing. Like spoken words, they shall linger only momentarily in space, it's the interpretation and memory of them that lasts. Cheers!