Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Vermont Maple
05-05-2010, 06:30 AM (This post was last modified: 05-05-2010 06:31 AM by Counselor.)
Vermont Maple
What is a regional thread without mention of Vermont's finest... Maple Syrup. No, not the HFCS you buy in the store in the log cabin or "Aunt" shaped bottles with "some maple flavor added" but the real stuff...

As a small producer of maple syrup, I had to create this thread to see what everyone has used VT maple Syrup for, besides waffles and pancakes. I have made beer, BBQ sauces with it, used it as a replacement for white sugar in all our cooking, and of course poured it on Vanilla Ice Cream, waffles and pancakes.

If you are looking to use maple in your cooking, make sure you use Grades of Dark Amber, B or C. These carry the most flavor and hold up to cooking the best. Don't use the fancy grade for cooking there is a whole other list of things to do with Fancy syrup, hardly fit for print here.

So... What have you lot done with VT's finest? ...

November is now MOvember. Knowledge is POWER and the Mustache is KING. Support mens Health and my Mustache farm here: http://mobro.co/counselor
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-12-2010, 05:17 AM
RE: Vermont Maple
I don't do much with VT's finest, but as I grew up in Upstate NY, I have plenty of experience with NY's finest. We had a small operation with our neighbors when I was a kid when we made our own as well. Neighbor was a farmer / welder / jack of all trades, and he fabbed up a boiler and put it in one of his barns. We went out in the woods and tapped a bunch of trees (old style, single or dual buckets on every tree) and there you go!

One thing that we did with ours, was at the end of the season, with the dregs of the last of the sap, we'd have a bit of a party, and we actually used the last of the sap to boil hotdogs in. As a kid, it was great fun, and it leant them a unique flavor that I still remember to this day, 25 odd years later.

-Tim
05-12-2010, 08:01 AM
(05-05-2010 06:30 AM)Counselor Wrote:  What is a regional thread without mention of Vermont's finest... Maple Syrup. No, not the HFCS you buy in the store in the log cabin or "Aunt" shaped bottles with "some maple flavor added" but the real stuff...

As a small producer of maple syrup, I had to create this thread to see what everyone has used VT maple Syrup for, besides waffles and pancakes. I have made beer, BBQ sauces with it, used it as a replacement for white sugar in all our cooking, and of course poured it on Vanilla Ice Cream, waffles and pancakes.

If you are looking to use maple in your cooking, make sure you use Grades of Dark Amber, B or C. These carry the most flavor and hold up to cooking the best. Don't use the fancy grade for cooking there is a whole other list of things to do with Fancy syrup, hardly fit for print here.

How do you substitute the syrup for sugar? What ratio do you use? I bake ALL the time and it would bring great if I knew the conversions. I'll think I'll try it on some grilled ribs this weekend.
05-12-2010, 08:01 PM
I use it it the crock pot with Kielbasa. I live in south west New Hampshire so I have a few friends that tap their own.

I went to a restaurant that serves 'breakfast at any time'. So I ordered French Toast during the Renaissance. ~Steven Wright
05-18-2010, 05:09 AM
(05-12-2010 08:01 AM)Dessert Diva Wrote:  
(05-05-2010 06:30 AM)Counselor Wrote:  What is a regional thread without mention of Vermont's finest... Maple Syrup. No, not the HFCS you buy in the store in the log cabin or "Aunt" shaped bottles with "some maple flavor added" but the real stuff...

How do you substitute the syrup for sugar? What ratio do you use? I bake ALL the time and it would bring great if I knew the conversions. I'll think I'll try it on some grilled ribs this weekend.

We do it two ways, we make maple cream that we use as a great substitute for Brown Sugar. Also, there are conversions for substituting Honey as a sweetener (I also keep bees) that you can find easy online. When we use actual syrup we go about using that substitution ratio (generally less liquid and more flour).

Most large sugar makers also produce something called maple sugar and it is just that, maple sugar, they remove all the liquid and you are left with the pure maple sugar. Substitutions are easily done that way.

Though the above two ways are for baking, if I am making a sauce etc, i generally start with 1/2 the sugar called for and check for flavor adding in 1/4 increments until i have the flavor/ consistency I like.

November is now MOvember. Knowledge is POWER and the Mustache is KING. Support mens Health and my Mustache farm here: http://mobro.co/counselor
02-27-2013, 01:08 PM
Yes, in spite of all the snow, it is sliding into maple syrup season. So far just one tree tapped and producing enough to keep a 3 gallon pot busy on top of the wood stove. Produces pints.

Season's Greetings!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-27-2013, 11:49 PM
Well...Mr. Counselor, you want to know what I have done with this phenomenal product. So, I guess that I will do my Bubba imitation here (no, no, no, please dont get excited here, I am talking about the one from Forest Gump when he enumerated all the shrimp versions)except I will go for things done with maple syrup. Unfortunately not from Vermont or N.Y. but from Québec. I get my 10 gallons every year of the dark type and yes Counselor, you are so right about the taste from the darker grades and typically a little cheaper. Just made a Maple Cheese Cake on the weekend, this concoction had a bottom crust with finely chopped walnuts, fine maple sugar and butter. Then I made a maple caramel from, again, maple sugar, maple syrup, butter and 35% cream, poured it onto the crust and then made the cheese cake mix with cream cheese, maple sugar, maple syrup, eggs and a good grade of white chocolate (Valrhona). This was topped with maple syrup glazed walnuts.... And off I go, Maple syrup glazed ham, maple syrup pie, maple cinnamon buns, maple syrup and ice cider salad dressing, (OK enough Maple syrup) crème brulé, crème caramel, many different cakes, cookies, marshmellows, caramels, ice cream sundae, fudge, foie gras with some macadamia nuts glazed with MS, cold smoked salmon, Jerky(s), Oysters, roast chicken, fried chicken, geese, rabbit, ice cream (into the making), on top of ice cream, maple and nut squares, with waffles and pancakes, caramelized onions, duck confit, duck breast with caramelized apples and ice cider , chutney(s), ribs, cupcakes, baked beans, maple covered fresh strawberries, gin tonique, daiquiri, mojito, maple tea, coffee, slushed margarita, cake frosting, muffins, omelette, bread puddings, and I could probably think of more... but enough for now... Of course I could not write all the recipes for what I have posted here. And yes I have tried them all, some phenomenal and others very good. My mom was raised on a farm in Ontario and they had a sugar shack, and she loved to cook with these products. My uncles did make the syrup also, my cousins took over, I have numerous friends that are in the business of making syrup, some are chefs and I collect any recipe that I can. And of course try them, modify them, and get FAT every spring doing all these... So, I will be happy to post recipes on request.
02-28-2013, 01:57 AM
I think I got a cavity just reading that! Big Grin

Love and respect...
Turn up the music and smile!
ASSTA Member
02-28-2013, 08:44 AM
(02-28-2013 01:57 AM)Scooter Britches Wrote:  I think I got a cavity just reading that! Big Grin

Went to the dentist yesterday and... guess what!!! Got one, for the first time in ages...
02-28-2013, 12:43 PM
REALLY? Hmm...can't imagine why! LOL!

Love and respect...
Turn up the music and smile!
ASSTA Member