Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
A margarita sure sounds nice about right now.
07-17-2011, 09:42 PM
RE: A margarita sure sounds nice about right now.
(07-17-2011 04:59 PM)dheafey Wrote:  
(07-16-2011 09:08 PM)Dee Wrote:  On a hot summer night there’s nothing like sipping an icy margarita and after much diligent and painstaking research I think I’ve finally come up with the perfect recipe.

Thank You Dee! I.Must.Try.This. I'm a HUGE fan of Margaritas with freshly squeezed lime juice. The simple syrup concoction is especially appealing. I've been on a "Death to HFCS" kick and anything that helps me avoid the Margarita mixes is gold.

Cheers!

Great dheafey - I hope you love them as much as I do. Those mixes are horrendous - instant indigestion! The simple syrup is key IMHO. You may have to make some adjusting as to amounts per your personal taste, but I think you will be happy. Best of luck, fellow margarita fan and cheers!!

Quote:After a conversation about Caipirinhas today, and a helping of Boomer drool after he noted that the picture of said libation looked "awful good", I nabbed the only brand that my local preferred spirit purveyor had to offer.
Something called Pitu /40 proof cachaca.
This is my first bottle of the product, so I have no reference as to how good, bad, smooth or horrific that it may be compared to other brands.
I smooshed (technical term) half a lime, and added a couple of teaspoons of raw sugar with a rather large quaff of the above Brazilian hooch. Now granted, it may have been a bit heavy on the hooch side, but good enough, nonetheless to flood my system with feel-good endorphins. Anything to take my mind off of the fact that, at the moment, Oz feels like Mercury... the planet - not the metal.

Ok, Mufasa consider me intrigued. I had never heard of Caipirinhas nor Cachaca before reading your posts and googling. This indeed looks like a cocktail worth trying. I'll have to see if I can get my hands on some cachaca. Thanks for posting - this place is so educational. And I just can't wait to smoosh something!! Smile
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-17-2011, 10:58 PM
(07-17-2011 06:45 PM)Mufasa Wrote:  After a conversation about Caipirinhas today, and a helping of Boomer drool after he noted that the picture of said libation looked "awful good", I nabbed the only brand that my local preferred spirit purveyor had to offer.

Aren't Caipirinhas the drink Tony Bourdain overindulged in (or, as I've taken to calling it, "overbeveraged") during his Brazil episode? No wonder he was all warm 'n' fuzzy.....

While it looks rather tasty and refreshing, I just can't do rum. Had a verrrrrry bad episode after overbeveraging some kinda Old Navy Rum during my stay in Cornwall. Youthful ignorance bought me a 2-day hangover. **GACK!**

Aaaaand tequila is off the list, too. While in college I worked at a "Mexican" chain restaurant and came home smelling like tequila every night. Who wants to drink sumpin' that reminds you of work?!

Blah blah blah....yada yada yada!
07-18-2011, 11:03 AM
Is there something that Bourdain does not overindulge in? Restraint, perhaps.

Most of us are so caught up in life that we forget to live it.
07-18-2011, 07:06 PM
Aren't Caipirinhas the drink Tony Bourdain overindulged in (or, as I've taken to calling it, "overbeveraged") during his Brazil episode? No wonder he was all warm 'n' fuzzy.....

While it looks rather tasty and refreshing, I just can't do rum. Had a verrrrrry bad episode after overbeveraging some kinda Old Navy Rum during my stay in Cornwall. Youthful ignorance bought me a 2-day hangover. **GACK!**

Aaaaand tequila is off the list, too. While in college I worked at a "Mexican" chain restaurant and came home smelling like tequila every night. Who wants to drink sumpin' that reminds you of work?!
[/quote]

Yes, that was Tony's drink of choice in that episode. I used to make caipirinhas for my husband occasionally. We can't get cachaca (pronounced ka-SHAH-sa) where we live now. If you don't like rum OR tequila, you won't like caipirinhas. The liquor tastes like a combo of both.

If I'd known you were French, I'd have worn galoshes...
07-18-2011, 07:14 PM
what if you like both...?

Most of us are so caught up in life that we forget to live it.
07-19-2011, 09:17 AM
(07-18-2011 07:14 PM)Mufasa Wrote:  what if you like both...?

To quote you, Mufasa, "Stand back-I don't know how big it's going to get" Big Grin

If I'd known you were French, I'd have worn galoshes...
07-19-2011, 06:43 PM
(07-16-2011 09:08 PM)Dee Wrote:  On a hot summer night there’s nothing like sipping an icy margarita and after much diligent and painstaking research I think I’ve finally come up with the perfect recipe.

Thank You Dee! I.Must.Try.This. I'm a HUGE fan of Margaritas with freshly squeezed lime juice. The simple syrup concoction is especially appealing. I've been on a "Death to HFCS" kick and anything that helps me avoid the Margarita mixes is gold.

Cheers!

Dee!! You're the best! I'm sippin' your DIY Margarita while I write this and am thoroughly impressed. The fact that I can now jettison those awful mixes is worth the effort to pull this off. I did up the tequila a bit cause I'm, you know, a drunk.

All hail Dee! All hail Dee!

I jumped the cliff with a dream to fly
Without knowing the weight of feathers
07-19-2011, 06:51 PM
(07-19-2011 06:43 PM)dheafey Wrote:  

Cheers!

Dee!! You're the best! I'm sippin' your DIY Margarita while I write this and am thoroughly impressed. The fact that I can now jettison those awful mixes is worth the effort to pull this off. I did up the tequila a bit cause I'm, you know, a drunk.

All hail Dee! All hail Dee!

Glad to hear it!! I had me a couple last night. Made some for my brother as well - he said it was the best marg he's ever had, but then he is my brother. Big Grin

Hmmm - you've got me craving another. Cheers to ya!!
07-19-2011, 07:50 PM
I must get some limes for this weekend and give it a try...already have everything else on hand Smile
07-25-2011, 06:32 PM (This post was last modified: 07-25-2011 06:32 PM by BrianW.)
My friends in Maine have taught me this trick for frozen margies, and it goes along with the restraint comments earlier, mix your batches ahead of time and store them in ziplock bags for later. Hot day? Take one out, rub it on the back of your neck, then open and pour into your favorite glass. Average bag holds two to three drinks.

Season's Greetings!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user