Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Barbecue: Dry Rubs
03-09-2010, 11:17 AM
Barbecue: Dry Rubs
Can anybody suggest their favourite rub recipes? I'm about to embark on a jouney down Barbecue Road and need directions. I'll be looking at smoking ribs, brisket, shoulders, and chicken in all the various regional styles. Help!

Sacred cows make the best hamburgers.

I bought a doughnut and they gave me a receipt for the doughtnut... I don't need a receipt for the doughnut. I give you money and you give me the doughnut, end of transaction. We don't need to bring ink and paper into this. I can't imagine a scenario that I would have to prove that I bought a doughnut. To some skeptical friend, 'Don't even act like I didn't get that doughnut, I've got the documentation right here... It's in my file at home. ...Under "D".'
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-17-2010, 09:19 AM
RE: Barbecue: Dry Rubs
(03-09-2010 11:17 AM)Brutus Wrote:  Can anybody suggest their favourite rub recipes? I'm about to embark on a jouney down Barbecue Road and need directions. I'll be looking at smoking ribs, brisket, shoulders, and chicken in all the various regional styles. Help!

I'm still experimenting with this one by Steven Raichlen http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/aspen...rub-ribs). It's tasty, as is, but I'm trying to zero-in my personalized proportions.

Happy eating!
04-17-2010, 09:28 AM (This post was last modified: 04-17-2010 09:31 AM by Brutus.)
I'm about to embarque on a journey down "Barbecue Road" and I'm looking for a dry rub recipes for chicken, brisket, shoulders and ribs. Help!

I'm still experimenting with this one by Steven Raichlen http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/aspen...rub-ribs). It's tasty, as is, but I'm trying to zero-in my personalized proportions.

Happy eating!
[/quote]
I just tried to open the link but got a, "The page you requested could not be found" message. Could you check to see if you've entered it correctly?

I bought a doughnut and they gave me a receipt for the doughtnut... I don't need a receipt for the doughnut. I give you money and you give me the doughnut, end of transaction. We don't need to bring ink and paper into this. I can't imagine a scenario that I would have to prove that I bought a doughnut. To some skeptical friend, 'Don't even act like I didn't get that doughnut, I've got the documentation right here... It's in my file at home. ...Under "D".'
04-17-2010, 09:35 AM (This post was last modified: 04-17-2010 09:58 AM by rkalem.)
BEST RUB RECIPE IN THE WORLD:
1 TBS GARLIC POWDER
2 TBS BLACK PEPPER
1 TBS SALT
1 TBS MUSTARD POWDER
1 TBS CHILI POWDER
1 TBS GROUND CUMIN
1 TBS BROWN SUGAR
4 TBS PAPRIKA
1/2 TSP DRIED OREGANO
04-17-2010, 09:39 AM
[I make one with salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, a little cumin, cayenne pepper and a little brown sugar. Experiment with the quantities of ingredients used to suit your own taste. For smoking I use a mixture of pecan , oak ,and a little hickory wood, with a little cherry and hickory when I can get it. . . If you guys ever come to Greenville, SC, email me and I will make you a little sample. . .
04-17-2010, 09:43 AM
(04-17-2010 09:28 AM)Brutus Wrote:  I'm about to embarque on a journey down "Barbecue Road" and I'm looking for a dry rub recipes for chicken, brisket, shoulders and ribs. Help!

Happy eating!
I just tried to open the link but got a, "The page you requested could not be found" message. Could you check to see if you've entered it correctly?
[/quote]

http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/aspen...y-rub-ribs

It looks like your software truncated the link the first time. I hope this one gets through.
04-17-2010, 09:43 AM
Sounds killer!! I am going to try it.
04-17-2010, 09:51 AM
(04-17-2010 09:39 AM)Polandmason Wrote:  [I make one with salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, a little cumin, cayenne pepper and a little brown sugar. Experiment with the quantities of ingredients used to suit your own taste. For smoking I use a mixture of pecan , oak ,and a little hickory wood, with a little cherry and hickory when I can get it. . . If you guys ever come to Greenville, SC, email me and I will make you a little sample. . .
Is there also a Greenville in NC too? They should have a cook-off if so. Is there also the two different styles you see in NC, one preferring the sweet mop, the other more vinegar based? I've read of Brown's (Kingston), Sweetman's (Holly Hill) and Po Pigs Bo-B-Q (Edisto Island). Do you have a favorite joint? Maybe you'd be interested in putting together a little route for people to follow? I'm getting ready to fire up the WSM as we speak!

04-17-2010, 10:21 AM
(04-17-2010 09:43 AM)E2E Wrote:  
(04-17-2010 09:28 AM)Brutus Wrote:  I'm about to embarque on a journey down "Barbecue Road" and I'm looking for a dry rub recipes for chicken, brisket, shoulders and ribs. Help!

Happy eating!

It looks like your software truncated the link the first time. I hope this one gets through.
[/quote]
Success! Thanks. Great recipe and "truncated" - my new word of the day...

04-17-2010, 10:22 AM
(04-17-2010 10:21 AM)Brutus Wrote:  
(04-17-2010 09:43 AM)E2E Wrote:  

Happy eating!

Success! Thanks. Great recipe and "truncated" - my new word of the day...
[/quote]

My pleasure, sir.