Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Barbecue: Dry Rubs
04-18-2010, 04:21 AM
RE: Barbecue: Dry Rubs
(04-17-2010 09:51 AM)Brutus Wrote:  
(04-17-2010 09:39 AM)Polandmason Wrote:  [I make one with salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, a little cumin, cayenne pepper and a little brown sugar. Experiment with the quantities of ingredients used to suit your own taste. For smoking I use a mixture of pecan , oak ,and a little hickory wood, with a little cherry and hickory when I can get it. . . If you guys ever come to Greenville, SC, email me and I will make you a little sample. . .
Is there also a Greenville in NC too? They should have a cook-off if so. Is there also the two different styles you see in NC, one preferring the sweet mop, the other more vinegar based? I've read of Brown's (Kingston), Sweetman's (Holly Hill) and Po Pigs Bo-B-Q (Edisto Island). Do you have a favorite joint? Maybe you'd be interested in putting together a little route for people to follow? I'm getting ready to fire up the WSM as we speak!

There is a Greenville in NC, also one in PA. The places you mentioned are in the lower part of the state. Up here I can reccomend: Mutts (greer, SC) Henry's Smokehouse( Greenville,SC). and Maurice's (Columbia,SC) People here will use either a vinegarbased, tomato based, or a mustard based sauce.I have no problem with any of them, but prefer the mustard or vinegar based sauce. I have a friend who makes a killer mustard based sauce, but will not share the recipe with anyone- noteven his mom! Some folks are REAL serious about their cookin'. . .
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-18-2010, 08:01 AM
This has become such a hot topic I'm going to set up a specific forum to deal with all things BBQ related. I'm calling it, "If You Can't Smell The Wood It Ain't No Good". Let's take our conversations to that forum in the future. Interesting that there are so many Greenvilles. Another common city or town name you come across in BBQ discussions is Lexington. I think there may be more than a dozen states with a Lexington within and many are famous for their BBQ.

Sacred cows make the best hamburgers.

I bought a doughnut and they gave me a receipt for the doughtnut... I don't need a receipt for the doughnut. I give you money and you give me the doughnut, end of transaction. We don't need to bring ink and paper into this. I can't imagine a scenario that I would have to prove that I bought a doughnut. To some skeptical friend, 'Don't even act like I didn't get that doughnut, I've got the documentation right here... It's in my file at home. ...Under "D".'
04-20-2010, 03:42 PM
(03-09-2010 11:17 AM)Brutus Wrote:  Can anybody suggest their favourite rub recipes? I'm about to embark on a jouney down Barbecue Road and need directions. I'll be looking at smoking ribs, brisket, shoulders, and chicken in all the various regional styles. Help!

Chili powder seems to work for me. I try to keep it simple.
04-20-2010, 04:01 PM
By the looks of it,I think you can erase all topics and just keep the BBQ forum going.I dont think many RUSH fans are fans of CORDON BLEU recipes....LOL.
04-20-2010, 04:25 PM
Yeah, I've noticed the bias in that direction. We'll see what happens as the doors open to the next wave. Hopefully something for everyone.

Sacred cows make the best hamburgers.

I bought a doughnut and they gave me a receipt for the doughtnut... I don't need a receipt for the doughnut. I give you money and you give me the doughnut, end of transaction. We don't need to bring ink and paper into this. I can't imagine a scenario that I would have to prove that I bought a doughnut. To some skeptical friend, 'Don't even act like I didn't get that doughnut, I've got the documentation right here... It's in my file at home. ...Under "D".'
04-21-2010, 12:02 AM
@ Brutus:
Try this site..
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/

Dirk
04-21-2010, 06:03 PM
Dry Rub

1/4 cup Kosher salt
1/2 cup Dark Brown sugar
1/4 cup White sugar
1/4 Penzey's Bavarian Style seasoning
1 Tablespoon Each of Garlic powder, Chili powder

Mix all together and use as needed. Stores well in a sealed container.
Use on beef brisket and pork products.

Before we apply the dry rub we will brine the meat we are to use.

Smoke low and slow until specimen appears to be a meaty-orite. Big Grin

Penzey's is a great source for seasonings. www.penzeys.com
04-23-2010, 05:45 PM (This post was last modified: 04-23-2010 05:46 PM by Snapdad.)
This is one that I got from my wife's pop, who is a retired battalion chief for the wonderful San Francisco Fire Department... (they take cooking seriously, and seriously good!) They have a cookbook you can get that has this recipe, which I've tried a few times now and have modified slightly to taste. I'll present it here as it is in the book just for a starting point:

1 TBS dried parsley
1 TBS dried thyme
1 TBS dried oregano
1 TBS dried paprika
1 TBS garlic salt
1 TBS onion salt
1 TBS sugar
1 tsp freshly ground pepper

That's the basic spice rub recipe. I would add cayenne powder to taste. And don't forget the HONEY when you're grillin'!

The book name is Firehouse Food : Cooking with San Francisco's Firefighters, by George Dolese & Steve Siegelman
04-25-2010, 11:33 AM
i do have to say that the Gates BBQ sauces and rubs are my favorites. although Brutus you should suggest to Neil that he should hit up Thelma's BBQ in Houston TX off Scott St and Southmore. He wouldn't be disappointed
04-30-2010, 10:42 AM
(04-17-2010 09:35 AM)rkalem Wrote:  BEST RUB RECIPE IN THE WORLD:
1 TBS GARLIC POWDER
2 TBS BLACK PEPPER
1 TBS SALT
1 TBS MUSTARD POWDER
1 TBS CHILI POWDER
1 TBS GROUND CUMIN
1 TBS BROWN SUGAR
4 TBS PAPRIKA
1/2 TSP DRIED OREGANO

I'm all over that one. Oh yes, I'm all over that one. Stopping at the store on the way home.

If all the world really is a stage, how come I'm always carrying the duct tape?

Dodgy