2 TBS BLACK PEPPER
1 TBS SALT
1 TBS MUSTARD POWDER
1 TBS CHILI POWDER
1 TBS GROUND CUMIN
1 TBS BROWN SUGAR
4 TBS PAPRIKA
1/2 TSP DRIED OREGANO

I'm all over that one. Oh yes, I'm all over that one. Stopping at the store on the way home.

You won't be disappointed with that rub! I don't seem to have the recipe I tend to use saved on this computer but that looks to be my favorite. Basically the "Memphis Dry Rub"....I think anyway
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-07-2010, 01:28 PM
RE: Barbecue: Dry Rubs
I highly recommend the following book by Steven Raichlen-Barbecue Bible; Sauces, Rubs, and Marinades. It cost around $12 and is a wealth of info for different styles found in the US from NC to KC to Memphis to Texas and all points in between. Raichlen has a bunch of other books but this is the most useful and straightforward. No fancy recipes just the basics. There are also international recipes and i have used several including jamaican jerk and pastrami.

the simplest rub is equal parts salt, black pepper, paprika and brown sugar.
05-07-2010, 04:28 PM
Italian Beef Brisket Rub

2 tsp. fennel seed
2 tbsp. chopped fresh sage
2 tbsp. chopped fresh rosemary
6 cloves chopped garlic
1 tbsp. kosher salt
2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
1 tbsp. olive oil
1 beef brisket, about 4 pounds
1 bottle of Chianti (for the cook of course!)
05-08-2010, 07:59 AM (This post was last modified: 05-08-2010 08:00 AM by tangy.)
(03-09-2010 11:17 AM)Brutus Wrote:  Can anybody suggest their favourite rub recipes? I'm about to embark on a jouney down Barbecue Road and need directions. I'll be looking at smoking ribs, brisket, shoulders, and chicken in all the various regional styles. Help!

(05-07-2010 04:28 PM)Gumbo Wrote:  Italian Beef Brisket Rub

2 tsp. fennel seed
2 tbsp. chopped fresh sage
2 tbsp. chopped fresh rosemary
6 cloves chopped garlic
1 tbsp. kosher salt
2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
1 tbsp. olive oil
1 beef brisket, about 4 pounds
1 bottle of Chianti (for the cook of course!)

that sounds good. i recently made some hot italian sausage for the first time. I made them into patties and cooked on the grill. Kind of made me interested in more grilled italian food. I assume you indirect cook the brisket like in most brisket recipes? Any side recommendations?
^^^^ not sure how I ended up doing the double quote thing above? D'oh!!!
05-08-2010, 11:24 AM
(05-06-2010 08:58 AM)Pelle31 Wrote:  
(04-30-2010 10:42 AM)mikec3211 Wrote:  
(04-17-2010 09:35 AM)rkalem Wrote:  BEST RUB RECIPE IN THE WORLD:
1 TBS GARLIC POWDER
2 TBS BLACK PEPPER
1 TBS SALT
1 TBS MUSTARD POWDER
1 TBS CHILI POWDER
1 TBS GROUND CUMIN
1 TBS BROWN SUGAR
4 TBS PAPRIKA
1/2 TSP DRIED OREGANO

I'm all over that one. Oh yes, I'm all over that one. Stopping at the store on the way home.

You won't be disappointed with that rub! I don't seem to have the recipe I tend to use saved on this computer but that looks to be my favorite. Basically the "Memphis Dry Rub"....I think anyway

This is almost identical to the rub I was going to suggest. It is absolutely delicious. I think mine had a couple more herbs like Marjoram, and Thyme.
05-08-2010, 12:04 PM
My daughter used a petty tasty rub a few weeks back The rub was the only thing on the ribs and it left them dry after cooking. Should she have added a marinade over the rub?
05-08-2010, 01:48 PM
(05-08-2010 12:04 PM)Dessert Diva Wrote:  My daughter used a petty tasty rub a few weeks back The rub was the only thing on the ribs and it left them dry after cooking. Should she have added a marinade over the rub?

a rub is like a dry marinade. typically the two are not used together although i have seen recipes where meat was marinated and then rubbed. most ribs are given a rub and then have sauce applied towards the end of the cook. memphis style ribs are often dry and they even apply more rub at the end of the cook.

when cooking ribs you want to remove the silver skin on the bottom side of the rib by sliding a knife under it and pulling it off ( hopefully in one piece).
the silver skin keeps rubs and marinades out.

other than that its just a lot of experimenting.
04-22-2011, 07:42 AM
Here's the rub i use, its good on ribs and chicken. Haven't tried it on anything else...yetWink
1/4 cup packed lite brown sugar
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup seasoned salt
2 Tbs. garlic salt
1 Tbs. onion salt
1-1/2 tsp. celery salt
1/4 cup sweet hungarian paprika
1 Tbs. chili powder or seasoning
1 Tbs. freshly ground black pepper
1-1/2 tsp. rubed dried sage
1/2 tsp. ground allspice
1/4 tsp. cayenne( I always add a little more when the wife ain't lookin, ssshhhh)
Pinch ground cloves

I'm taking a ride with my best friend...I hope he never lets me down again.
06-28-2011, 09:27 PM
This is a product we discovered near our lake house in SWKY:
http://www.buttrub.com/
Bad Byron's Butt Rub! OK, so we initially bought it on name alone, but it's farkin' awesome! We'll get a ginormous Boston Butt & slather it up w/ample amounts of Butt Rub, then smoke away the entire day for super duper juicy yummy pulled pork goodness.

Definitely a multi-tasking seasoning....chicken, beef, fish, veggies, eggs, bread!

My hubby is also a bit of a Steven Raichlen disciple, his copy of "How to Grill" has gotten a serious workout...

Crikey, all this talk of food is makin' me hungry...let's eat y'all!

Blah blah blah....yada yada yada!
07-08-2011, 05:45 PM
If you want to buy a rub try Dean Jacobs Mix Grill rub. You can use it on Meat, Lamb and Poultry. For ribs try Bone Sucking Rub and for the sauce try Bone Sucking Sauce.