Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Coping with a picky eater
05-26-2012, 08:19 PM (This post was last modified: 05-26-2012 08:37 PM by LiveToCook.)
RE: Coping with a picky eater
Jenn, She will not back away from all protein, I should have been a little more precise with my quote. To rapidly explain what I wrote into too little words, here goes. If she makes her own meal or snack, she will go for veggies and salad. She will not cut a piece of cheese or eat nuts... Dont ask why, I do not know the answer to this as she will eat cheese that is warm (cooked) such as gratinated pasta, pizza and whatever in that fashion. As an example, I made fresh pasta for dinner and the sauce had some cheese into it but as much as she will not cut a piece of fresh cheese to eat like this she poured all of the fresh parmesan that I had just grated onto her plate.... or will use the powdered stuff. Go figure, as for protein, I will make salmon on the BarBQ, one of my signature dishes and if I make salmon any other way... She will pick at it and eat 1/4 of it and believe me, I have had way worse (still very edible) in reputable restaurants. She will eat almost all meats and types of fish that I will serve to her. But if she makes her own... forget it, she will typically not have the protein.
OHR. I guess that we all have our favorites and not so favorites... For me it is believe it or not cucumbers... and I can smell them from a long way, I will cut them and serve them but there is not a chance that I will consume them. I will eat relish and other ''transformed'' style. Where does it come from... very good question, as for the boiled into next week, I can only agree with you for all veggies... If they are like ''mush'' I cannot find any enjoyment with these. As for liver it is strong and very different in taste and consistency. You are not one in a million, I will eat veal's sometimes in small quantities. I prefere chicken and fowl including foie gras that is a product that I use a lot in cooking. And I must confess, I use foie gras in many recipes and dont tell no one as my household except for my son are ''allergic'' to the word liver. Funny thing is they like what I make, because I actually made a sauce once without the foie gras and they told me that it was not as good.... And I do not have the courage to tell them... ha, ha, ha...

(05-26-2012 07:16 PM)old honda rider Wrote:  When I was growing up I was known in the house as the picky eater. But even as an adult, I still won't eat brussel sprouts boiled into next week or twitching liver, no matter HOW many fried onions go with it.

I always knew something was up when I asked, "What are we having tonight?" and the reply was something like, "It's a surprise!"

And, of course, making the kid (me) sit there with a plate of cold (insert disgusting food-type substance here) is guaranteed to put the hate on for that food right into adulthood.

To this day I don't like surprises either.
(05-26-2012 01:52 PM)Jenn Wrote:  
(05-24-2012 07:26 AM)LiveToCook Wrote:  I have been working on my daughter, but her mind is set... I have tried the ''This is it approach, but, to no avail... She will eat the veggies, salad and will walk away from the protein. Not a good idea for a 17 year old.

Just curious ... does she turn away from all protein, or just meat.?. 'Coz you can get very good protein in a vegetarian/vegan diet. Yes, we need our protein, but it need not come from animals.

OK, sorry for the temporary thread derailment!

Back to picky eaters...
Either give him the "just try a little"
or the "if you don't like it, make your own"

Big Grin
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-27-2012, 08:55 AM
(05-26-2012 07:16 PM)old honda rider Wrote:  When I was growing up I was known in the house as the picky eater. But even as an adult, I still won't eat brussel sprouts boiled into next week or twitching liver, no matter HOW many fried onions go with it.

I always knew something was up when I asked, "What are we having tonight?" and the reply was something like, "It's a surprise!"

ROFLMAO

I always knew if I came home and saw a lemon meringue pie on the counter that it was Liver Night, as that was the only way my parents could ever force that horrible stuff down me. My trick was to cut it into little piece and swallow them whole. Big Grin

But I'd go brush my teeth before having my pie to get the nasty taste out.

(That being said, I'm with LTC: fowl livers are fabulous.)

----
I'm not one to believe in magic, but I sometimes have a second-sight....
05-27-2012, 08:14 PM
I am SO glad I'm not the only one in a house with picky eaters! In a way.. my husband came to his weird tastes honestly. Basically, his mom was big into cooking elaborate, rich meals. Unfortunately.. she's not a good cook. (Her corned beef and cabbage could be used as a chemical weapon!) He prefers meat and potatoes out of self defense! He will eat other stuff but I have to be careful. There isn't a lot of food he likes and to top it off, he has celiac's disease, which limits what I can cook. LOL... AND I suck at cooking! The stuff in my house is simple because we can't do much else!

My daughter on the other hand... when she was younger you couldn't get her to eat ANYTHING. She was beyond picky. Then I found out something... she likes flour tortilla's. I started by slowing adding a thin layer of cheese (quasadiillas) then a little bit of meat or veggies. I soon found I could get her to eat anything even if she swore she hated it as long as it was wrapped in a tortilla. Might something like that work in your situation?

Intolerant of Intolerance.
05-28-2012, 10:03 AM
(05-27-2012 08:14 PM)ladijules Wrote:  I am SO glad I'm not the only one in a house with picky eaters! In a way.. my husband came to his weird tastes honestly. Basically, his mom was big into cooking elaborate, rich meals. Unfortunately.. she's not a good cook. (Her corned beef and cabbage could be used as a chemical weapon!) He prefers meat and potatoes out of self defense! He will eat other stuff but I have to be careful. There isn't a lot of food he likes and to top it off, he has celiac's disease, which limits what I can cook. LOL... AND I suck at cooking! The stuff in my house is simple because we can't do much else!

My daughter on the other hand... when she was younger you couldn't get her to eat ANYTHING. She was beyond picky. Then I found out something... she likes flour tortilla's. I started by slowing adding a thin layer of cheese (quasadiillas) then a little bit of meat or veggies. I soon found I could get her to eat anything even if she swore she hated it as long as it was wrapped in a tortilla. Might something like that work in your situation?

Ladijules, believe me that tricks are now something that I can brag about... It could be as tricky as drying mushrooms and reducing to powder and incorporating into a pizza dough or fresh pasta dough. some other times I cut whatever into ''micro bits'' and of course the quantities used are sometimes minimal according to degree of taste of the ingredient(s) being ''smuggled'' into the dish. I of course do not tell right away, but when the words come back as ''I DO NOT eat mushrooms!'', I will add a ''You eat more than you think'' and leave it like this; ''Food for thought...''. And, yes I can only agree with the ''tortilla'' trick that you use and as mentioned above, I am sure that some of the ingredients that you incorporate are the majority of times not perceived as such. The beauty of tortilla type ingredients is the fact that you can make a combination of ingredients that help into the inclusion of the ''I do not eat this and that'' products. Like a very famous person once said; ''We must never surrender''. Big Grin