Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Muy Bueno Chili
05-07-2010, 09:40 AM (This post was last modified: 05-07-2010 09:41 AM by zenprole.)
Muy Bueno Chili
This recipe has big flavor with modest heat. You'll need a 6+ quart pot and a frying pan. Freshly-diced veggies are a must for absorbing the spices, but canned mushrooms are OK in a pinch. Dried beans are also required, though they can be heavy and sometimes I skip them entirely.

Step 1:
about 2 lb hamburger................1 Knorr beef bouillon cube
about 3/4 lb stew beef, diced.....1 Knorr chicken bouillon cube
2 tbsp chili powder....................about 14oz tomato sauce
1/2 tsp cumin...........................1-2 cups water (add more as needed)
1/2 tsp moist garlic (or 1 clove)...1/2 tsp coarse pepper

Brown the beef and all goes in the pot. Simmer covered for 40 minutes.

Step 2:
5 tbsp chili powder.......................10-12 Roma tomatoes
2 tsp cumin.................................1 lb mushrooms
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper ................2-3 green peppers
about 14oz tomato sauce..............2 sweet onions
1 1/2 tsp moist garlic (or 2 cloves)...2-3 carrots
1/3 lb dry red kidney beans (soak several hours beforehand)
sea salt to taste

Fold in and cook for at least 2 hours (3-4 is better), stirring regularly for the first hour. Serve with strong cheddar and green onion, and have some fire sauce and sourdough bread on hand. This is an easy recipe that never fails to please. Serves many, but pulling a container out of the freezer in midwinter is also a joy. ¡Buen apetito!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-24-2011, 03:14 PM
RE: Muy Bueno Chili
My buddy Ed came up with this 'Three Second Fuse...' chili. The name comes from how long it takes between hitting your buds and giving you some heat.

Three Second Fuse..." Chili

Ingredients

* pepper purée mix [see below]
* 2 lbs ground beef
* 1/2 lb fajita-style steak, thinly sliced & cubed
* 2 cans kidney beans, drained & rinsed
* 2 (15 oz) cans tomato sauce
* 1 onion, sliced
* several cloves of garlic, minced
* medium and dark chili powders
* 1 tbsp brown sugar
* 1 small can of green chili peppers, diced
* other seasonings mentioned below (salt, black pepper, cumin, cayenne pepper)

Directions:

Pepper purée:

Soak your peppers in water in a covered container and refrigerate overnight, but no more than 2 days. Drain the liquid into a measuring cup or other container. Take out peppers one at a time, removing the stem if it is still attached. Gently split the pepper lengthwise with a finger and remove most or all of the seeds then place the pepper into a small blender or food processor. Repeat for each pepper. Add about 1/8 cup of the soaking liquid into the blender as well. Blend or pulse on low until a nice purée is formed. Store in a small container until cooking the chili.

Chili:

In a large pot (I use a large wok), pour in one of the two cans of tomato sauce. Add the pepper purée. Stir gently from the center outward, slowly mixing in the tomato sauce with the pepper purée. It should take about 30-60 seconds to get a nice, consistent look. Add the brown sugar then lightly sprinkle the medium chili powder over the entire surface of the mixture (about 1 - 2 tbsp; i use the "fully coated" method of measuring instead). Add kidney beans and about 1 tbsp cumin lightly then stir until it's all mixed together. Begin heating on a medium-high heat, reducing if it starts to lightly boil.

Sprinkle the fajita-style steak with salt, black pepper, cayenne pepper, and a dash of cumin (about 1/4 tsp of each) and mix until fully coated. Heat up some bacon grease (or olive oil) in a skillet. Fry the steak until it begins to brown and has no visible pink. Add the steak to the chili mixture in the large pot. Sautée the onions and garlic in the same pan, adding bacon grease or olive oil as needed. They should be nicely carmelized before adding to the chili mixture. Stir it all together.
Brown the ground beef in the skillet (in two 1-pound batches if needed, which is what I do). Season with salt, black pepper, cayenne pepper, and cumin. [I also use granulated onion and granulated garlic but not needed since we already added some sautéed onion & garlic]. Drain the fat and add the meat to the chili mixture.

Give the pot a thorough stirring so everything is nicely mixed together. Sprinkle the dark chili powder on top of the mixture just like the medium chili powder earlier. Do not mix at this point but let it simmer for about 15+ minutes, after which feel free to stir it in.

Reduce heat to a medium-low and simmer for 3 - 4 hours, stirring occasionally. Top with the diced green chilies and serve.
03-01-2011, 04:27 PM
(02-24-2011 03:14 PM)Snapdad Wrote:  My buddy Ed came up with this 'Three Second Fuse...' chili. The name comes from how long it takes between hitting your buds and giving you some heat.

Three Second Fuse..." Chili

Ingredients

* pepper purée mix [see below]
* 2 lbs ground beef
* 1/2 lb fajita-style steak, thinly sliced & cubed
* 2 cans kidney beans, drained & rinsed
* 2 (15 oz) cans tomato sauce
* 1 onion, sliced
* several cloves of garlic, minced
* medium and dark chili powders
* 1 tbsp brown sugar
* 1 small can of green chili peppers, diced
* other seasonings mentioned below (salt, black pepper, cumin, cayenne pepper)

Directions:

Pepper purée:

Soak your peppers in water in a covered container and refrigerate overnight, but no more than 2 days. Drain the liquid into a measuring cup or other container. Take out peppers one at a time, removing the stem if it is still attached. Gently split the pepper lengthwise with a finger and remove most or all of the seeds then place the pepper into a small blender or food processor. Repeat for each pepper. Add about 1/8 cup of the soaking liquid into the blender as well. Blend or pulse on low until a nice purée is formed. Store in a small container until cooking the chili.

Chili:

In a large pot (I use a large wok), pour in one of the two cans of tomato sauce. Add the pepper purée. Stir gently from the center outward, slowly mixing in the tomato sauce with the pepper purée. It should take about 30-60 seconds to get a nice, consistent look. Add the brown sugar then lightly sprinkle the medium chili powder over the entire surface of the mixture (about 1 - 2 tbsp; i use the "fully coated" method of measuring instead). Add kidney beans and about 1 tbsp cumin lightly then stir until it's all mixed together. Begin heating on a medium-high heat, reducing if it starts to lightly boil.

Sprinkle the fajita-style steak with salt, black pepper, cayenne pepper, and a dash of cumin (about 1/4 tsp of each) and mix until fully coated. Heat up some bacon grease (or olive oil) in a skillet. Fry the steak until it begins to brown and has no visible pink. Add the steak to the chili mixture in the large pot. Sautée the onions and garlic in the same pan, adding bacon grease or olive oil as needed. They should be nicely carmelized before adding to the chili mixture. Stir it all together.
Brown the ground beef in the skillet (in two 1-pound batches if needed, which is what I do). Season with salt, black pepper, cayenne pepper, and cumin. [I also use granulated onion and granulated garlic but not needed since we already added some sautéed onion & garlic]. Drain the fat and add the meat to the chili mixture.

Give the pot a thorough stirring so everything is nicely mixed together. Sprinkle the dark chili powder on top of the mixture just like the medium chili powder earlier. Do not mix at this point but let it simmer for about 15+ minutes, after which feel free to stir it in.

Reduce heat to a medium-low and simmer for 3 - 4 hours, stirring occasionally. Top with the diced green chilies and serve.

I assume you're using dried peppers? What kind do you like? Here in Cowfart I have found a great little place where I can get Anchos, Negros, Guajillo, Chile de Arbol and Pasilla. I like a mixture of Negro, Guajillo and Anchos. I toast the peppers on a flat pan called a comal for about 30 seconds a side on medium heat. Then I destem and deseed them and put them in a bowl of boiling hot chicken or vegetable stock for 20 minutes. I blend the poop out of them and run that through a strainer pushing it with a spatula...That's my main flavor and heat sourse, the foundation upon which a chili becomes nectar of the gods. Main thing? Don't burn your chilies when you're toasting them. Better to do nothing at all than to do that.

Love your cubed flank steak idea. I'm surely gonna try that.

Thanks for sharing.

B

Sacred cows make the best hamburgers.

I bought a doughnut and they gave me a receipt for the doughtnut... I don't need a receipt for the doughnut. I give you money and you give me the doughnut, end of transaction. We don't need to bring ink and paper into this. I can't imagine a scenario that I would have to prove that I bought a doughnut. To some skeptical friend, 'Don't even act like I didn't get that doughnut, I've got the documentation right here... It's in my file at home. ...Under "D".'
03-09-2011, 05:51 PM
Nice idea with the peppers. I'm gonna try that.

As for the peppers in the recipe, I'll have to ask Ed what he likes, so he has all the props.
04-02-2011, 12:16 PM
Some recipes I have seen for Chili include, using diced steak (rather mince meat), and marinade that in beer for a few hours. When cooking the chili add some smoked paprika and also chorizo, which gives the chili a real smokey dark flavour.......

Living the dream over here in Blighty
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-03-2011, 09:23 AM
I'm liking the chili puree recipe. How spicy is that? I could think that heat level could be adjusted by leaving some of the seeds in the mix, no?

I made chili a few weeks back, with the regular recipe (nothing special there, except a whole lot of garlic Smile I added a couple of Ancho peppers, roasted over the stove (gas stove) sliced and diced them, plus a couple of diced chipotle peppers (just went for the canned in adobo) I didn't bother de-seeding the anchos, but they aren't that hot anyways, but just gave a touch of a kick, and the chipotles gave a nice smokiness to the proceedings.
Even some friends that don't do spicy went back for seconds.
08-13-2011, 12:23 PM
I found some Chipotle Chillis today - apparently they are smoked red jalapeno`s. A beautiful full smokey smell, which I have added to tonights Chilli, along with some fresh green Jalapeno`s, green pepper, (my own onions I grew), chilli powder, cumin, paprika (smoked and plain), oregano, bay leaf, garlic salt and fresh garlic, oxo cube, Worcestershire sauce, olive oil infused with chilli, fresh tomatos, and some brown sugar to lessen the bitterness of the toms, and a glass of red wine.

I will serve this with Uncle Ben`s Long Grain rice, boiled with turmeric in the water, and garlic bread.

I am just "rewarding" the chef now, with a pint of Theakston`s Old Peculiar a very dark nutty ale - which has some marketing spiel on it about crime writing and a quote - "The dead never leave you - that`s why I love them so much" - not sure which book that is from but a pretty spooky opener......

08-13-2011, 04:00 PM
I always add just a teeny pinch of cinnamon to my chili. It interacts with the chilies and brightens their flavor a bit.

... in a world where I feel so small I can't stop thinking big!
08-14-2011, 03:13 AM
Nigella Lawson (UK Celebrity Chef) daughter actually of Nigel Lawson the former UK Chancellor for the Exchequer does the same. I have tried it but it did not suit my taste - the Greeks use a lot of cinnamon in all their dishes too...

08-14-2011, 10:30 PM
She does? I had no idea. And here I thought I'd come up with something new and different. Undecided

... in a world where I feel so small I can't stop thinking big!